Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #76
Noirette

Speaking about gothic music, what actually makes it gothic?

I'm terribly sorry for the stupid question, but I'm curios.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #77
Minyaliel

Hey guys, what about not going off topic, ey? I'm not a mod or anything, but off topic is somewhat annoying, you know.

Anyway, to the kid who started this thread - take it easy. You've got _decades_ to decide who you are. You don't have to define that now. When I was your age I still walked around in Pocahontas pants and a straw hat (true, now the photographic evidence is embarassing as hell, but that was me at the time). I know things have changed since then, and that childhood doesn't last as long today as it did then, but really, you are a child. I actually envy you a bit for that. It'd be a great excuse for doing all the crazy stuff I do today. Anyway. Don't try to be gothic. If you are in fact a goth, then time alone will show this. When it comes to clothes and the way you look, just do whatever you like, don't worry about the rest. I guess I'm saying whatever everyone else has been saying here, but I really do mean this. If you'retrying to be something, then you are not the thing you'retrying to be. To be something, you just go with the flow.

I've got a music tip for you, by the way - check out Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy and perhaps a bit of Rasputina and Voltaire, if you haven't. It's somewhat easily accessible gothic or goth- friendly music that's fun and well known in the community.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #78
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Noirette, gothic music is kinda spooky or somethin... Goes well with horror movies hehe...

And thank you minyaliel
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #79
Godslayer Jillian

Wingweaver, I promise I'll help you a little with hairstyles if you do these two things first:

- Accept you're not a motherfucking vampire.

- Acknowledge vampires are not goth; because they aren't.

The will put you at least in the right path if you want to obsess about goth.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #80
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingweaver_The_Vampire
Noirette, gothic music is kinda spooky or somethin... Goes well with horror movies hehe...
*facepalm* please tell me that was a joke
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #81
Technowitch

I don't think it was. =/ I'm dying to call troll here, guys, but something tells me this kid just might be serious.
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #82
NightmareInShiningArmour

Lol? I've never ever heard Gothic Rock in any horror/spooky movies. None whatsoever. Well, some Gothic Rock bands do theme songs.
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 AM   #83
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'd say Sisters of Mercy and Siou...Sus... the banshee lady whose name I can't spell (Siousxie?) sound sexy rather than spooky
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #84
NightmareInShiningArmour

Siouxsie Sioux. Take the last name, Sioux and just add sie on the end. Siouxsie.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #85
thekorupt

My god...

What in the fuck...

This kid is becoming a trainwreck.

*giggles at sir corpsey's "the banshee lady"* but you are right. To me, gothic music has always had a somewhat erotic tinge to it. Actually, all of it does, to me at least. With almost operatic voices. That is one thing I think we can agree on.. gothic music isn't successful with mediocre voices. We all seem to actually appreciate talent rather than half assed voices like the pop genre *cough*Britney*cough*

But seriously... kid, do not answer questions. You are so clueless its sad. And arrogant. Not even a good arrogant, just a pathetic arrogant.

I don't know, can we, like, throw something at him? I have a superball near by... but I like it and don't really want to waste it on him...
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #86
Noirette

So how can you tell that one band is gothic and the other isn't?
(This is the one of the reasons I don't like labeling music. I don't know the definition of each gender and all the countless subgenders)
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #87
Paigeybobert

Just shave your head. That never goes wrong with me.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #88
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
I don't know the definition of each gender
If you've got a dick, you're probably a guy.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #89
thekorupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
So how can you tell that one band is gothic and the other isn't?
(This is the one of the reasons I don't like labeling music. I don't know the definition of each gender and all the countless subgenders)
Sweetie, um, I think you mean GENRE. Gender is what sex you are. A genre is a category of entertainment.
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #90
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekorupt
I don't know, can we, like, throw something at him? I have a superball near by... but I like it and don't really want to waste it on him...
Umm... Well, he's coming to Australia. I live in Australia. Any Australian can join the "throw a piece of mouldy cheese at Wonder Boy" campaign.

Canvas Corpsey, would you care to join the campaign?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #91
gothicusmaximus

What Wingweaver said about goth music isn't wrong. Goth music is spooky, by my assessment anyway, and it has been featured in a lot of horror movies. Moreover, I don't see why anyone doesn't consider vampires to be goth-- the quintessential goth anthem is about the relationship of Bela Lugosi to his role as Dracula, a vampire.

I detect in this thread evidence of a behavior that I feel is pervasive among posters here, one that often frustrates me. Once someone establishes himself or herself to be a total idiot, other members proceed to regard everything that person says as a monument to absolute stupidity. If Wingweaver claims that he must ingest blood daily in oder to survive, that certainly warrants ridicule, but presently I'm receiving the impression that the guy could say 'hey guyz teh sky is blu lol' and be bombarded with replies to the effect of "PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING HOW CAN YOU THINK SUCH A THING, SO SO FOOLISH AND UNGOTHIC YOU ARE".
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #92
Solumina

Saying that music being spooky makes it goth IS a dumb thing to say. Yes so gothic music is spooky but plenty is not. In addition there is a fucking ton of spooky music out there that is quite clearly not goth.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #93
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Saying that music being spooky makes it goth IS a dumb thing to say. Yes so gothic music is spooky but plenty is not. In addition there is a fucking ton of spooky music out there that is quite clearly not goth.
It's not the most comprehensive explanation of goth rock, but it's not magnificently flawed either. Goth music's spooky atmosphere did contribute, along with a few of its other elements, to the initial attribution of its title. Had whatever bands you consider spooky but not goth been active during the height of goth's popularity, had their members dressed similarly to those of goth bands, or had their shows attracted fans of those bands, they might well be regarded as goth today.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #94
KontanKarite

There is a profound difference for example me saying "Goth rock is spooky and has been featured in scary movies" and this kid saying "Goth rock is spooky and can be featured in scary movies."

The kid is going on an obvious assumption and observation. ANYONE can deduce that goth rock is "spooky". My sister can do that.

Eh. Fuck this kid. He wants to be an idiot, let him. At least he's being himself. An idiot.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #95
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Lol? I've never ever heard Gothic Rock in any horror/spooky movies. None whatsoever. Well, some Gothic Rock bands do theme songs.
I guess you've never seen The Lost Boys. Or The Hunger. Or the Crow.

You're dumb.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #96
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Actually it is a very strong learning tool, especially for children, including young teens (not calling you a child, or saying anything about you, but from a clinical standpoint people in that age group tend to be grouped with children rather than teens).
Wow.
I'm sure most psychologists would disagree.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #97
Underwater Ophelia

And...
You guys are assholes.
Seriously.

Don't even pretend like you came out of the fucking womb and knew just what goth was and knew your way in and out of all it's stupid rules.
You were all wrong about goth at some point, and he was just asking for information on goth, because to him, it seems pretty cool.

Kontan, I'm surprised at you. The kid didn't say anything wrong and you were a dick to him from the getgo.

He wanted to learn about goth. He said it in a way that a young teenager with broken English (because like he said, it's not his first language), but that's what he was saying. If you assholes couldn't see that, YOU'RE the idiots.

PS--to all of you jumping on the bandwagon like GM pointed out, it's transparent as hell.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #98
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Wow.
I'm sure most psychologists would disagree.
I'm sure that they would, you know seeing as I learned it in developmental psych and all
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #99
Solumina

An add-on to my previous post: this is not saying that someone should teach their child by forcing them into humiliating experiences or by purposefully humiliating them. Instead this is saying that the fear of being humiliated is a very strong motivating factor, especially for children. This means that if someone is aware that there are negative social ramifications (ie they will be humiliated) for an action then that person is extremely unlikely to perform the action, even if it is something that they would enjoy doing.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #100
babycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea and Cake or Death
You could start the GOTHIC AFRO!
i think i've already got dibs on that one, unfortunately. it's pretty much how my hair looks in the morning. ^___^

and to be honest, wingweaver, i don't fault you for asking these sort of things. it's just that when you ask the people here how to be gothic or how to make yourself look gothic- it really is like painting a bulls-eye on your forehead. the members here (for the most part, i've found) value originality. in my opinion, that's a large part of what "being gothic" is really about.

to keep on topic: i'd say, just go with your better judgement and what looks good with your facial structure.
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote