Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #126
JCC

Also, I'm not insulting Wingweaver here, I've not read a single one of their posts, I'm debunking Noirette for giving the most annoying reasoning ever.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #127
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowitch
It's not that far removed from the music at all; same themes, and I'm willing to bet that many goth rockers took inspiration from that literature or the feelings evoked by looking at some of the darker Romantic art.
That's not true at all.
Siouxsie and the Banshees were an amateur punk band. Virtually all her inspiration came from the Sex Pistols and The Beatles.
Alien Sex Fiend has nothing "morosely dark" about him. He's just creepy and cool and campy.
Bauhaus chose their name specifically because of the Bauhaus style which is modern and cosmopolitan.
The Cure only sang sad songs when Robert Smith was genuinely suffering from depression.
Sisters of Mercy was post-punk, and Eldritch was influenced by Leonard Cohen, T.S. Eliot, and Shakespeare.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #128
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
This is becoming a fucking bloody habit, stating the bloody obvious:

*click me*

It's all there. Read and learn...

Click here for even more further reading

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #129
Noirette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowitch
Yes, literature too. A lot of the Romantic era writers used the same darker themes that would later become popular in gothic rock--love, death, horror, and the supernatural. Like any other fiction from that time period, it tends to be rather...flowery prose, I guess would be a good way to describe it?

I'm sure a few modern writers have comparable styles, but I can't think of any. :<

I've always felt that goth was a subculture based on a type of darker aesthetics, not just in music and fashion but also literature, art, architecture (yes, there is gothic architecture, and it predates the lit of the Romantic era), and for some even interior design. It's just kind of evolved over a couple of centuries, and with the introduction of cyber and steampunk aesthetics it's going to continue to grow.

But that doesn't mean you should go around trying to force yourself into one little niche in an effort to find yourself or prove how hardcore you are. =/

The only thing I tried to say is that being young means being un-experiment.
You can see whatever you want to sew about this, and tell me I'm stupid as much as you will, but that just proves my point:All of you are willing to fight with everyone who dares to speak.
You can humiliate a 13 year old by telling him how ungoth he is and how perfectly goth you are. Even if it is right, it's still humiliating, and will make him more angry and unwilling to learn.
I'm a little dissapointed from all of you.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #130
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
You can see whatever you want to sew about this, and tell me I'm stupid as much as you will, but that just proves my point:All of you are willing to fight with everyone who dares to speak.
You can humiliate a 13 year old by telling him how ungoth he is and how perfectly goth you are. Even if it is right, it's still humiliating, and will make him more angry and unwilling to learn.

Tell me where it's my job to patronize someone. Please. Please tell me when it's okay to lie to someone. Because I wish someone in real life gave me shit for thinking I was "oh so tortured" and special.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #131
JCC

Quote:
STOP MAKING MASSIVE FUCKING GENERALISATIONS OF YOUNG PEOPLE.

"When people over the age of 18 encounter the colour magenta, they immediately metamorphosize into wombats."

It's not TRUE. And there's no basis for its truth beyond me saying it! So why say it? Mozart started travelling the world as a critically acclaimed musician known for the genius of his compositions. Know how old he was? SIX. You don't know every person under 18, you've never talked to every person under 18, you're probably unaware of the magnitude of skullfuck you would get from the sheer intelligence of a lot of people under 18, you don't have the right or the basis to make any generalisations. You're fucking dumb in the sense that you've repeated the same tired old mode of criticism TWICE.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #132
Noirette

You might be very surprised to hear that I'm not much older than you and therefore your previous post makes no sense.
You want to argue with someone-have fun. I won't be "the chosen one" for that purpose.
It's just a little amusing, how much people can argue about things.
Yet it's even more sad than amusing.
Even Wingweaver stopped arguing.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #133
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
This oozes such an ego it's not funny, don't pretend your some benevolent wise man who knows the great sorrow of our actions and who just loves to point out the senseless amount of chaos between humans.

That's the only vibe you're giving me, not actual wisdom, just someone pretending to be a young intellectual with a tender heart for humanity.

Also if you say, you said none of this and ask me what I am talking about I will scream...

I'll assume I'm not the only one who can perceive the tone in internet posts...

blahblahblahblah...

doodoo...

I'm quite bored now.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #134
JCC

Quote:
You might be very surprised to hear that I'm not much older than you and therefore your previous post makes no sense.
You want to argue with someone-have fun. I won't be "the chosen one" for that purpose.
If you're not much older than me, how can you make such idiotic statements about young people? You remind me of sister's ex. Copious amounts of stupidity, coupled with a magnanimous egotism whereby he was always driven to justify things with "Yow ay experienced enuff, yow dow know enuff abaht the real world."

He was eighteen. He said the same things that you do, and I'm fairly certain you would say that such talk at eighteen is ridiculous. So how old are you?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #135
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

wth Kontan i do listen to gothic rock, gothic metal black metal and death metal! i do listen to this music and i LOVE it.
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #136
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingweaver_The_Vampire
wth Kontan i do listen to gothic rock, gothic metal black metal and death metal! i do listen to this music and i LOVE it.
What bands do you like?

(Not a trick question so I can be like "ARGH YOU'RE NOT GOTH GET THE FUCK OUT POSEUR", I'm just interested.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #137
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
What bands do you like?

(Not a trick question so I can be like "ARGH YOU'RE NOT GOTH GET THE FUCK OUT POSEUR", I'm just interested.
Draconian, Epica (one of my biggest faves), Nightwish, Evanescence, Disturbed (i know theyre not goth), Seether (too),...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #138
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

and im glad theres someone by my age here... i added you to my buddy list. Hope you accept. and you talk some sense... my parents think i'm a little more mature than my 21 y.o sister hehe
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #139
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Ahahaha, Gothicus Maximus is on this!!

(scroll down the the Pictures)

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #140
KontanKarite

Quote:
Draconian, Epica (one of my biggest faves), Nightwish, Evanescence, Disturbed (i know theyre not goth), Seether (too),...
We didn't ask you of what metal bands you listen to. We asked you what GOTH ROCK bands you listen to. If you don't know the difference between metal and goth rock, then maybe you're tastes are a little more specialized. What deathrock bands do you listen to?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #141
JCC

Quote:
I love Draconian. There are some bands quite similar to Draconian like My Dying Bride (far and away the best Doom/Gothic Metal band around in my eyes), Sirenia, Swallow The Sun, Paradise Lost, Therion and Moonspell that I think you'd enjoy.

I love Disturbed too, have every album. I like Seether as well. Are you into other Alt Rock/Metal?

If you want to get into some proper Gothic Rock, my favourites are Play Dead, The Shroud, Bauhaus, Sex Gang Children, Alien Sex Fiend, Sisters of Mercy, Virgin Prunes, The Chameleons (UK), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death (with Rozz Williams), Specimen, Cinema Strange, Ausgang, 45 Grave, Joy Division, Clan of Xymox. That's more than enough to get started.

Oh, as far as Black Metal and Death Metal are concerned, are you completely sure of what genre they are? Black Metal is music like Immortal, Carpathian Forest, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Enthroned and Emperor. Death Metal is more Cannibal Corpse, Death, At The Gates, Ghoul, Nile, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist and Deicide.

Plenty of great music there.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #142
JCC

Quote:
We didn't ask you of what metal bands you listen to. We asked you what GOTH ROCK bands you listen to. If you don't know the difference between metal and goth rock, then maybe you're tastes are a little more specialized. What deathrock bands do you listen to?
No, I just wanted to know what bands in general.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #143
honeythorn

Ooh I quite like My Dying Bride and Moonspell .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #144
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
No, I just wanted to know what bands in general.

Ah, must have been the flow of the conversation being that he addressed me said he listens to goth rock and then you asking what bands he listened to.

So he's a confused metal head it seems. That's fine. It happens all the time.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #145
JCC

I came here only into Metal. But then, I didn't claim to be Goth even back then.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #146
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Ah, must have been the flow of the conversation being that he addressed me said he listens to goth rock and then you asking what bands he listened to.

So he's a confused metal head it seems. That's fine. It happens all the time.
No... Evanescence, Nightwish (dont tell me they're posers like u always do when someone says Nightwish), Epica, and Death metal is considered to be gothic... not only gothic rock, gothic metal too. Draconian are labeled gothic doom metal.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #147
Godslayer Jillian

That doesn't mean they're goth.
Seriously, they have nothing to do with the goth subculture at all.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #148
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Death metal is... death metal

Nightwish and Evanescence are not goth music, there's no debating, if something isn't Goth rock, it isn't goth rock. They may be considered gothic by popular society but that does not make them goth.

(Copy and Pasted from JCC's above post)
These are goth rock bands:
Play Dead, The Shroud, Bauhaus, Sex Gang Children, Alien Sex Fiend, Sisters of Mercy, Virgin Prunes, The Chameleons (UK), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death (with Rozz Williams), Specimen, Cinema Strange, Ausgang, 45 Grave, Joy Division, Clan of Xymox

We're being nice here, and I'm saying right here and now, no matter how much you say otherwise Nightwish, Evanescence and death metal are not gothic, nothing you say or do can ever change that, it is fact, not opinion... fact!

(More experienced people please correct me if i'm wrong on anything)
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #149
Joker_in_the_Pack

Well, if you were describing them Gothic as in the literary styling of the darker romantics, then perhaps a few songs barely qualify. Mind you, a Gothic subject (in the literary sense) would be a love lost in a tragic death, not a bunch of idiots from Norway with stupid makeup grunting to ridiculously fast drumming. If you want to defend your stand, use evidence, support, not just claims. Also, a band can call themselves whatever they fuck well want, doesn't make it true. I could sing punk and call it smooth jazz, doesn't mean it's true.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #150
KontanKarite

Quote:
No... Evanescence, Nightwish (dont tell me they're posers like u always do when someone says Nightwish), Epica, and Death metal is considered to be gothic... not only gothic rock, gothic metal too. Draconian are labeled gothic doom metal.

Either listen to what we're telling you or continue to be a poseur. Either way, I don't really care. I'm technically trying to save you a shit load of embarrassment. But do what you want. You almost crack me up. But then again, you trying to justify your misunderstanding of goth is just a tad pitiful.

Just be glad I'm not patronizing you. At least I'm giving you enough respect to not call you a dark, tortured, gothic soul... right?