Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #51
Morrigan_Dubh

Toner clears your face of any remaining cleanser and help close your pores they've been opened by the warm water and scrubbing action of cleansing. They will also supposedly help restore the PH balance of your skin.
Splashing your face with cold water will work as well as a toner, I think.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #52
MissJames

chronic redness and flushing could be mild rosacea. a dermatologist can treat it.

I inherited my mom's pale skin, and to keep it, everything I put on my face has spf 15 at least (moisturizer, foundation, etc), and I saty out of the sun as much as possible. I also use proactiv for breakouts, but it really helps even out general redness too.

but if your skin isn't naturally pale, man, don't bleach it! it's not worth it. as far as makeup, you could airbrush all of your exposed skin, but I think that would be very time consuming and require a professional special effects makeup artist. but hell, go for it if you can!
MissJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #53
darkmartin82

Quote:
Originally Posted by diacrusis
Meh!
I'm yellow like the Simpsons, and NO! I am not asian.
in that case I might suggest you see a doctor, specialy if its real yelowish.

it might (I strongly suspect for the simson comment) be a liver problem.
hepatitus D, if you drink to much.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #54
Nemesion

I'm mixed race, so... I'm not sure whether I should try wearing pale foundation to contrast with my (black) hair. I usually carry a parasol out in summer to avoid getting darker and that does usually stop me from having to worry about the sun. Are there any alternatives to bleaching that don't have such a drastic effect?
I don't know... a friend suggests that I should bleach my hair and dye it ice blue to contrast with my skin, but that's getting kind of off topic.
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #55
darkangel81

I did read something a while back about using donkey milk to keep your skin more pale but you would have to bath in it to keep your entire body paler.
darkangel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #56
Corpus_Draconis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJames
chronic redness and flushing could be mild rosacea. a dermatologist can treat it.
What's rosacea? Or what causes it?
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #57
MissJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel81
I did read something a while back about using donkey milk to keep your skin more pale but you would have to bath in it to keep your entire body paler.
I did get quite a laugh at this one.
also, bathing in the blood of virgins is said to be very effective.

rosacea is basically a facial blood vessel disorder. If your face tends to get really red (when you blush, exercise, etc) and stays red longer than usual it can be the first stage. it can get progressively worse (but doesn't always) and after a while the redness doesn't go away and your face can get really sore. my friend in high school had it but the dermatologist fixed her up. she had to use really gentle cleasers on her face (cetaphil I think?) and he gave her some kind of cream to put on her skin.
MissJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #58
Sanctus Dei

Pale skin eh? Personally, I just drown my head in ranch dressing (Hidden Valley any other brand not guaranteed to work) and bake it in undirect sunlight... when hardened I remove paint with makeup and attach yarn....fun to wear, tastes excellent.

Seriously though, who the fuck needs pale skin. A little color is healthy, although I'm no fan of the baked turkey look I prefer a face with a healthly glow. I figure, your going to 'look' dead eventually, why start early?

Me, I have a szexy olive glow and I love it.. (although I'm more pale then most caucasians go figure) I don't look like a painted clown when I apply a smidgen of color and if by chance I spend 15 mins in the sun on accident (I avoid it too) I don't fear the burning issue.

ALTHOUGH... and this is a big although... due to the natural coloring in my skin, when I scar... I scar DARK... and trust me being a cook is no picnic for my poor arms, so thoughts of skin lighteners fill my head as well.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #59
Sanctus Dei

You're evil...

Damn, that's sexy.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #60
Sanctus Dei

Pragmatic my ass... you're down right naughty.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #61
darkangel81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJames
I did get quite a laugh at this one.
also, bathing in the blood of virgins is said to be very effective.

I was hoping someone understood the sarcasm in that. tnx for making my night.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #62
Corpus_Draconis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
ALTHOUGH... and this is a big although... due to the natural coloring in my skin, when I scar... I scar DARK... and trust me being a cook is no picnic for my poor arms, so thoughts of skin lighteners fill my head as well.
Get some vitamin E ointment (not cream, ointment's more concentrated) and apply it in the morning and at night. It's quite effective at making scars fade. I've found it to be quite useful... *shamed* My arms haven't had picknicks in a few years either.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #63
winged_dreams

I do nothing to my skin. I don't go in the sun that often and I would hate to get tan. I think I would look odd even though I don't drench myself in black. I happen to have somewhat pale, clear skin. I got lucky. My grandmother says women would die to have my skin. Uh, maybe I'm bragging. -_-*

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #64
diacrusis

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmartin82
in that case I might suggest you see a doctor, specialy if its real yelowish.

it might (I strongly suspect for the simson comment) be a liver problem.
hepatitus D, if you drink to much.
Thanks!
But no,I don't drink.
I believe my skin is yellowish for the fact that I'm lacking some sort of vitamins or proteins, I owe it all to bad nutrition. Or at least, that's what a vegan friend said.
diacrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:29 AM   #65
darkangel81

Martin could be right, the yellow colour on skin or in the white of your eyes could mean you have a problem with your liver. i'm not saying you do have something but it might be worth visiting a doctor.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:30 AM   #66
Oubliette

I'm just about as pale as they come, naturally. WOuldn't be so bad if it didn't make my acne scars soooooo visible. Damn my Irish roots!

"Can't we all just get a bong?"-Wolfie-
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #67
Oubliette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriacynthe
The Elegant Solution:

I own five of them, to match with different outfits.
I can't wait 'till it's summer again!

I mentioned those in 'Goth for Summer' thread

"Can't we all just get a bong?"-Wolfie-
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #68
darkmartin82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei

Seriously though, who the fuck needs pale skin. A little color is healthy, although I'm no fan of the baked turkey look I prefer a face with a healthly glow. I figure, your going to 'look' dead eventually, why start early?
Well I pretty much do look like a dead man walking, and it isn't cool to be that all the time. People make it a quest to make me loke a bit more lively, my mam used to want to use make up on me (at least some times) between ages 4 and 10/11.

But if you do have color it might be nice to look pale, if you can reverse it.
I mostly enjoy it, white on black clothing. And coming summer it will be a healthy paleness.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #69
Nemesion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Nemesion, I would definitely recommend wearing a foundation color that's the SAME COLOR AS YOUR FACE. If it's darker or lighter, you will look ridiculous. That's my opinion, anyway.
Er..yeah. Unfortunately I didn't see this post in time to spare me from the terrors of uber-white foundation. My face was grey until the stuff washed off with the rain and made me look like a zebra. I did indeed look ridiculous.
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #70
lena

Some tips for less red skin....
Dont use astringent, oxypads, or anything with alcohol in it to clean your face, and dont exfoliate your face if you dont have to, if you do be gentle about it. Both of those will give you that "glow" that you dont want.

I also use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of lemon juice and white wine that i found a recipe for online somewhere. Its supposed to lighten your skin but from what I have seen it just lightens my freckles, which is fine by me.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #71
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena
I also use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of lemon juice and white wine that i found a recipe for online somewhere. Its supposed to lighten your skin but from what I have seen it just lightens my freckles, which is fine by me.
I could use some of that over the next few months. To me, summer means factor 50 every day and avoiding the sun like the plague, in an attempt to prevent my freckles from coming out. I'll have to give it a try.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #72
lena

Hope it works for you too. Just rub it all over your face a few times with a cotton ball let it dry, and rinse your face off.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #73
NyQuil of Doom

I think if I went any paler I'd actually turn clear... I'm paler than a couple of natural redheads I know, and I've only met one person who was paler than I am and she was an albino. I love my complexion, it's one of those few things I really love about my looks. (That, my widow's peak, and my long fingers.)

Anyway, this doesn't change your skin tone, but I bought a lotion with skin -brighteners- in it... It doesn't actually make you paler but it's got a bit of shimmer to it that makes your skin look brighter. The one I got is by Dove, and I really like it.

I may try some of these hints on a couple places where I've got some freckles and slightly darker birthmarks on my body though... the lemon juice/white wine thing, I mean.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #74
lena

Nyquil, I think I have that too, but the one I have has an spf in it.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #75
aspendeath

Man, you people are silly.

Sunscreen. Pale-inducing AND healthy. One's skin is constantly exposed to the harmful rays of the sun even when it's cloudy out. All of you are saying not to sacrifice health for being pale; I say don't sacrifice your health for being tan! Sunscreen is such a simple solution. They sell lots of kinds that aren't greasy beachy oceanproof. Here's a pretty good one.
aspendeath is offline   Reply With Quote