Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #101
Underwater Ophelia

Try wearing a lot of cotton (even in black if you want) and lace. If you live in a climate where black is impossible, you can always try gray or cream colours.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #102
Zenit

Parasols and sunblock... and a linnen sundress if I have to :P

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #103
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
Parasols and sunblock... and a linnen sundress if I have to :P
Ooh, yes! I totally forgot about parasols! I love parasols!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #104
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Summer is gypsy skirts army boots and black tea-shirts with witty comments on them oh yeah and the knee high fishnets ^^
winter is when the elegance comes out.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #105
Circle V

I grow my hair out and shave less often. I start to wear more jewelery and less clothing. Last summer, what I recall wearing most was an old white oxford shirt (missing a few buttons, and partially unbuttoned at the top and bottom) and some khaki shorts, plus flip-flops (or tennis shoes, if the situation merited them). Not gothic, but it at least approached pirate.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #106
Heatherzilla

Australian summer is evil. Thankfully it's nearly over. I wear skirts most of the time and the few decent shirts I still have(for some reason I have about a zillion skirts and almost no shirts) and occasionally a dress. And heels or my boots, my feet end up hurting but I need the extra height.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:36 AM   #107
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
But you have to be careful there, when showing too much skin because the paler your skin, the more mosquitoes love you!
Really? No wonder the mosquitoes make me their bitch every year. Moving next to a river sucked for that reason. I was constantly swatting the bastards off.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #108
Underwater Ophelia

Their bitch. Hahahaha. Sometimes, in summer...my legs look like pickles. It's so gross. I go camping and even when using chemicals to make them go away...doesn't work out.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #109
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Most of the time I just find black shorts that go to my knees and wear short sleeved black shirts.

I also just put up with it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #110
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Their bitch. Hahahaha. Sometimes, in summer...my legs look like pickles. It's so gross. I go camping and even when using chemicals to make them go away...doesn't work out.

pickles ahahaoahahahah thats funny oh he he lol
what brand of bug stuff are you using find something really potent
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #111
Minyaliel

Summer's when I never wear pants (except for my one pair of hotpants) and start dressing in miniskirts and vintage dresses from the 1910's - 1960's. Oh, and lots and lots of sunscreen. And hide a lot in the shades.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #112
shelldoo

I tend to be cold most of the time. My "style" doesn't change for the seasons. I tend to wear the same things all year, but if it gets boiling hot I stick to my gauzy circle skirts (boho style), a tank top if it is hellish hot. However, usually I wear the same old things I wear all year. Also, black and red are my favorite colors, so I tend to wear them year round.

editing to add: My one constant summer accseory is a parasol. I have a collection of them, so I always have one with me.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #113
Draconysius

Deathrockers have it easy in summer. There ought to be a thread called "deathrock for winter"! We're the ones that wear sleeveless, torn shirts, fishnets, and not much else! XD
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #114
Seraphynth

Raid stores like Charlottes Russe and the Body Shop.
I buy their black sundresses, tube dresses, lacey camisoles, and what not (and white as I like white as well).
My classmates always ask me where I get my clothes. They're always shocked when I say "Charlotte Russe and the Body Shop. Everything else I order off the internet." They always ask, "What? Hot Topic isn't the only place that sells black?" I just kinda look at them blankly "Hun, look at the black gauchos you're wearing." You'd think that by now they'd be sick of asking me where I get my clothes since it's always the same answers. ._.
I cannot stand to wear t-shirts and jeans. *shudders*

I've found Gothic Charm School to be a helpful link when wondering what to do as the woman who runs it is very kind (and sensible).
Read her The Summer of Goth article.
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #115
shelldoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphynth

I've found Gothic Charm School to be a helpful link when wondering what to do as the woman who runs it is very kind (and sensible).
Read her The Summer of Goth article.

I love Gothis Miss Manners!!!!
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #116
Seraphynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldoo
Yay!
I've found that a lot of her articles have helped me with normal advice (that isn't quite gothic related).

Also, I tend to carry an umbrella around to keep the sun off my skin (and I wear SPF70). There's no way I'm loosing my pale skin to a careless suntan (otherwise I'd have wasted six years of adolescence living in a beach town staying away from the beach and swimming pools, yes?).
Which reminds me...I need to remember to pack my umbrella for our cruise to Mexico next week. o:
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #117
angel_1991

I tend to wear lace skirts with my fishnet leggings, along with a tanktop, or like twistedkitsun said, turning into a "guy" is really really comfy because mens clothing is wider and allows more air in to keep you cooler than womens clothing (i think that people who design womens clothing, are not thinking about comfort, more style and "whos the hottest of them all" thing, so definetly mens clothes!)
angel_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #118
Tifa

You can use almost the same as usual but just in white. Or less clothes (mini skirts, thin tops and such). Or you could run from shadow to shadow when you're walking outside (it might look stupid, but I do it myself). And if you color your hair black, you should use a color that goes out after a while, if not, the black color will bleach itself and look old and dusty.
Tifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #119
Saphyra Runa

Linen, cotton or silk shirts. If you can find an embriodered tone on tone linen one more the better.

Cotton seersucker or linen jackets and pants/trousers. If you do linen get them with the button and the fly. Drawstring Don Johnson is not what you are going for here.

How about a vest in a lightweight fabric? That you could do in black.

You could use shades of white, grey or taupe. Do not knock the taupe. Add grey to a color and you get the taupe version of that color.

If you can get really lucky and find an Orlon shirt ,I know, so 50's, but they are usually fairly translucent and make a dressier alternative to mesh or net.

And remember, there is almost nothing that cannot be altered to the gothic style. if you can't do it yourself....find a good relatively inexpensive seamstress.
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #120
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldoo
So do I. She sets out another positive perspective of goth that I admire very much. Surprising what we can learn from her.

I find that cottons, linens and very light wools are the way to go in the summer time.
Natural fiber fabrics are more breatheable then the synthetics, 100% Polyesters are a sin in the summer, whew.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #121
Haunted House

Deathrock dress is also a killer in the summer. You'd think that layers of torn fishnets would be breathable, but jeez, I end up sweating so much. During the day I tend to stay inside in just a sleeveless shirt and some jeans (though stretch jeans get real hot in the sun too). I limit my outdoor activites/going places to the evening and nighttime. Its cooler then and I can dress how I like without sweating too much.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #122
Godslayer Jillian

Actually I find the deathrock look very refreshing, so long as you keep it to a bare minimum.
For this summer I'm just wearing different T-shirts with mah fishnets for the most of the season.
I never liked doing that without a jacket, but now I have arms I can show. Yay for non-anorexicness!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #123
Haunted House

You could get a vest and DiY the hell out of it so you can have a 'jacket' but still have your arms and fishnets show. I recently got a black denim vest that I painted the Theatre of Hate mask and some spiderwebs on the back of that I plan on pinning and patching soon so I'll have it to wear in the summer.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #124
badteccy

For summer I've been thinking about getting some more ethergoth type clothing, like...long white skirts, some funky shirts. I really like ethergoth and I think if done right you can wear white and light colors and still look pretty gaaaaaaaaath
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #125
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Generally I switch to linen pants during the summer, and I'm forced to shed my beloved wool jacket. Linen is great because it breathes nicely so I needn't wear shorts, which I hate. Also, out of necessity, I switch to wearing my ankle height boots. While I love my harness boots, during the summer I've got to take them off every other block or so to dump out the sweat; It's just not workable.