Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
Klixin

Goths wear black because:

Please state your opinion if u choose 'other'

Im going with the dominance one, i think its the same reason priests wear black, and the nazi's etc..

I know that i feel a whole heap more powerfull with black clothes, i like it when people move out of my way. why?
Klixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
RetroGoth_queen

I think that goths wear black for lots of reasons so I chose other
- Goths wear black because most their music gods wear black
- Goths are trying to portrey an image with a likness to all things dark
and slightly morbid
- Goths have their own reasons for wearing black
- Black is *very* slimming
- Goths wear black because many good peoets wore black
- Goths wear black because other goths wear black
- Goths wear black because they like the look of it
- Goths wear black because black goes with other goth colours - red - grey - blue etc
Old 01-06-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
Perfectly_Flawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGoth_queen
I think that goths wear black for lots of reasons so I chose other
- Goths wear black because most their music gods wear black
-- Goths wear black because many good peoets wore black
- Goths wear black because other goths wear black
With the 'idolising/expressing admiration of a celebrity externally', i.e. copying their manner of dress, what about if the celeb himself is a goth? That doesn't explain why they (the celeb) wears black. Same for dressing in black because other goths do so.

Just a comment, not picking a fight here.

I actually haven't given much thought as to why goths where black...

I can't speak for the whole community, but I just do because I like to. I'm not always in black, and I don't agree with wearing "what's in" for the sake of it. I just dress how I want, and if I look unique, then good. If I attract attention, so be it.
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
Klixin

Hmm, you have a point there RetroGoth_queen

big black trench coats seemed a hell of a lot more attractive after the first matrix..
Old 01-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #5
Alain

Me, I wear black because it
a. suits me. I look better in it than I do in many colours
b. makes me happy. It really feels better to wear. Don't ask me to explain logically.

I guess I wear black because I really really like it...
oh yeah, and it looks cool, too.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:38 AM   #6
Klixin

does anyone else find that the more black they wear, the more 'protected' they feel?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
cutter666

I wear lots of black because a) it helps me to blend into the dark and b) its cheap and easy to wash
cutter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:54 AM   #8
Asurai

Because black makes me fairly diffucult at see tonight. That's a useful quality of clothing for a Secret Ops agent... but I've said too much. Now I have to kill you.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:08 AM   #9
Klixin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurai
Because black makes me fairly diffucult at see tonight. That's a useful quality of clothing for a Secret Ops agent... but I've said too much. Now I have to kill you.
everyone turn the lights on!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
Agwani

Wearing lots of black is the easiest way NOT to look like everyone else. When you don't feel like you really belong to a certain group, why look like them?

Incidentally, I wear black because I'm a badass. *smirk*
Agwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
TourniquetDistortion

I think the black wearing thing for me is this:

1. I like it
2. it looks good on me
3. it expresses my emotions
4. it makes me feel like other ppl feel superior therefor im superior
5. it gets me attention
6. it makes other ppl look at me differently there for it gives me a different view of them
7. im more open to the darker side of life then i normally would be in any other fashion
TourniquetDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #12
spawnohell12

goths wear black because that is what goth is! people who don't wear black aren't goth. this dissapionts me since this a gothic website. i would have thunk that you would have known that. hu-lo! :evil:
spawnohell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
Agwani

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnohell12
goths wear black because that is what goth is! people who don't wear black aren't goth. this dissapionts me since this a gothic website. i would have thunk that you would have known that. hu-lo! :evil:
Unless that sarcasm, I completely disagree. Being 'goth' is combination of things, as this board proves over and over again.
Agwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #14
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnohell12
One of the the gothest persons that I have ever seen was actually wearing nothing but white satin and white velvet -- she even had blonde hair ;-- but she still somehow had that deep, dark look and feel about her.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #15
Ravena

Secret Ops agent?... Hmmm... Now I know what I want to be when I grow up... 8)
Wearing black does not make you a Goth. Being a Goth does not mean you have to wear black. Agwani and Asurai are right.
To tell you the truth... 'Tis my favorite color. I just like. Also, to me, it symbolizes the abyss we all came from, and to which we must return, like the darkness of a mother's womb or that of the grave. So, if you take it that way, black is actually the color of life, the life cycle.
Huh, I guess I thought about that to much. It probably sounds cheesy...

Ravena

__________________________________________________ _______
Lord, make me an instrument of your Discord.
Ravena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 PM   #16
Klixin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
i happen to have a genuine affection for the color black. while i do not wear it exclusively, it dominates my wardrobe. In my experience, the "goths" tend to be more introverted and withdrawn, as well as introspective. A person with this personality is the type who would be more naturally drawn to black, just as someone with an outgoing and femme personality would be drawn to hot pink. Colors are a way of expressing both emotion and personality.
Well put, i agree completly

Wearing black is a form of self expression, but do you think others "posers" wear it to attract attention?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 AM   #17
GOTHangel

[b]hello everybody....plz welcome me here...
dis is my first post...i'm originally from malaysia...heard b4? well....4 me goths wear black b'coz dat's the way it is....i feel protected, i dunno how to explain but dat's what i feel inside...i feel like i'm the coolest one in my college.evil looks.hmm, de best part is i look slimmer.
p/s:sorry if there's any words or grammar mistake coz my english is not dat good.....
GOTHangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:25 AM   #18
KoniginDerSpork

It makes my ass look cute.
KoniginDerSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #19
Korellyn

When I wear black and look in the mirror, it looks right. I don't really know how else to describe it. It's like somewhere in the back of my head I have this image of what I'm supposed to look like, but I don't know it and have to discover it by trial and error as I go. So far, black fits. I also agree with the protection bit. It's entirely psychological, but sometimes when I'm getting dressed it feels like putting on armour, especially the jewelry. Like nobody can touch me when I look like I want to.

I used to dress very blandly, never standing out, and always felt like such a cheat. I almost think it's better to give people an honest idea of what they're getting into when dealing with me. Not to intimidate, but just to show that I do not feel I fit with the crowd around me.

-K
Korellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:53 PM   #20
bexxle

I look good in black.

- Skinny Puppy -
bexxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #21
Manimal

I don't know what it is about black clothes but... well I haven't worn too much black in recent years but it's calling to me in a big way. Kind of the same "return to your roots" calling that led me here I guess...
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #22
fallenangel666

i wear black the same reason a person would wear...red..or green..or white; because there's something about the color that fascinates me and obsesses me. it always looks good on me, as well as most people. it expresses how i feel and think. plus, i have to admit; i do like the weird looks i get from stupid preppies!
fallenangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #23
Hunter

I don't know why I'm writing this because it seems like it's and attempting at justifying something that reall doesn't need to be justified. But I wear black because it's slimming (I really wish I could be as skinny as Jack Skellington) and also because black matches everything, I can just reach into my closet or my dresser grab a pair of things and voila they match.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #24
mArkErNOse

Quote:
does anyone else find that the more black they wear, the more 'protected' they feel?
Well, in a way yes, and somewhat no. I am certainly more comfortable when I wear all black, and it makes it harder for people to see me. It is also an expression of how I feel, and wearing pink is just not suiting.

Though, some goths can make pink look oh-so-goth, I do not happen to be one. I happen to be the goth who, if she wears a pair of actual regular jeans once in a blue moon, she gets comments of how she used to be all happy and preppy a long long while ago. Ergh.
mArkErNOse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #25
Metis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHangel
[b]hello everybody....plz welcome me here...
dis is my first post...i'm originally from malaysia...heard b4? well....4 me goths wear black b'coz dat's the way it is....i feel protected, i dunno how to explain but dat's what i feel inside...i feel like i'm the coolest one in my college.evil looks.hmm, de best part is i look slimmer.
p/s:sorry if there's any words or grammar mistake coz my english is not dat good.....
Who the hell do you think you're trying to fool? You're not from freakin Malaysia, I'll tell you that. I mean, it's the internet and you can say you're from wherever you want to be from with nothing to back it up, but please! If you're going to lie, be good at it.

I swear, it's a sick cosmic joke. Just to irk me.
Metis is offline   Reply With Quote