Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Is black lipstick over the top
yes it is OTT 97 35.53%
No it looks fabulous 176 64.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 AM   #76
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDarkThea
hehe Yeah you should ask one of them "So...how did you do it?" They'll be completely and utterly confused!
Thea, you're evil!

I love you!
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #77
SweetDarkThea

Oh gosh *blush* How you flatter me so, you MILF you! :twisted:
SweetDarkThea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #78
winged_dreams

My friend randomly put black lipstick on me one day when I was in high school. I wish I had pictures. I must have looked really odd. Thea, I agree with you about asking the kids about the teardrop thing.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 AM   #79
skoteinh

I usually go for dark red or purple lipstick, but I occasionally wear black lipstick. Having dark hair and skin, it doesn't quite look spooky and I like it. I don't do the white face, but I use make up a couple of shades lighter and I sometimes highlight my cheekbones with grey eye-shadow.

I also blend black lipstick with red for that 'dried blood' shade, or black with purple.

That's only when I go out at night. During day-time I wear chapstick!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #80
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlvr
Do these children know what that black teardrop is supposed to signify?
I don't get it... what does that mean?!? WHAA!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #81
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Quote:
Good question! drgnlvr? Enlighten us.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #82
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Quote:
Good question! drgnlvr? Enlighten us.
It's normally a gang tattoo that means you've killed somebody.The number of tears on someone's face is supposed to signify how many people they've killed.

Although I often wonder about the one Steven Tyler used to wear?Maybe it was to signify ruining the life of that 14 y.o. he was screwing at one time.

:roll:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #83
skoteinh

I didn't know that... that's sad.

Thank you WolfMoon for explaining
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #84
Patricia

Black lipstick is an acquired skill.

Amongst my friends, I have a reputation for taking people in who want to try the goth thing for a night without looking like fools. The first thing we discuss is the fact that black lipstick is a no-no, and drawing on the face is a double no-no.

That said, goths with a lot of cosmetic experience can pull off black lipstick without breaking a sweat.

Please note the following is just my opinion, and as such shouldn't be taken personally. I wear bloomers, for heaven's sake. Never trust a girl in bloomers.

Men with facial hair or visible shadow should never wear lipstick, black or otherwise. Too many opportunities for smeary and unattractive tragedies.

Girls with dark complexions look AMAZING in black lipstick. Yes, the effect is very subtle, but you lucky things can carry that off as a daytime color as opposed to night out only like us pale things.

On the pale, black lipstick looks awful in daylight or in well lit places. The paler you are, the worse it looks, UNLESS it's correctly applied (and even that is pushing it. Black lipstick looks good in photos, on videos, and in clubs with dim lighting.)

Correct application is everything.

1. put on some chapstick or lipgloss.

2. brush your teeth

3. blot your lips

4. using a high quality black eyeliner pencil with a medium to fine point, line your lips. I've found the precision lines and angles work the best with black lipstick. If you have a full mouth, go for the 1940s squared off and geometric lines: a sharp "v" at the bow, a small horizontal line across the tops of the bows, and a *straight* line to the corner of your mouth. Again with full lips, this line might not follow your natural lip line. That's why you're wearing well-blended foundation that obscures the line a little bit, right? For the full lower lip, a horizontal line and a *straight* line up to each corner of the mouth. This creates a hard, precise shape.

4a. For a small, delicate mouth, keep the lines as precise. Draw hard "v" in the center of the upper lip, maybe even dipping a little below your lipline for a bee stung look. Draw the tops of the "bow" into hard little points, but don't let them become vertical lines. When you trace to the corner of your mouth, make the line a little bit convex (curving in towards the mouth.) This will give you a great swoopy line. For the bottom lip, either make it 1940s hard or follow the natural curve, "clipping" it up a little at the couners - curving it towards the corners at a slightly harder angle (again, slightly bee stung).

5. Using the eyeliner, color in your lips. With the toothbrushing and gloss, your lips should be soft and take the color up without too much trouble. A Wet n' Wild eyeliner will skip and drag. If you want black lips, you have to pay the price: Revlon eyeliner, Max Factor eyeliner, something like that. I prefer Physician's Formula Retro Glow in Black Kohl.

6. Once your lips are a nice, even black, blot them. Then go over them again, just as slowly and carefully as the first time.

7. Stick your finger in your mouth and press your lips around it, then pull your finger out of your mouth. The black on your finger is the black that would have gotten on your teeth. If you dragged your finger on your lips and took off some obvious color that needs to be there, fill it in now.

8. Let the liner settle for a few minutes. Make any necessary touch ups. If you want a matte look, you're done. For a vinyl look, put a little bloop of clear (or whatever) gloss on the middle of your lower lip and spread it lightly with your finger. Do the same with the top. DO NOT press your lips together, for you will smear everything.

I don't recommend black lipstick, simply because it's usually waxy and chunky.

Gloss makes your lipstick come off much more quickly.

To help your lipstick survive, drink/smoke from the coner of your mouth (using a straw for drinks), OR purse your lips hard and suck at the middle. For food, get finger food that can be broken into smaller pieces and popped into your motuh. (Believe it or not, you can eat a cheeseburger this way if you have too.)

When you reapply, only shade in places that are faded. Otherwise you built up a gross, thick layer that it more likely to dry and crack.

Don't touch your lips. Don't let other people touch your lips. Don't make out. Air kiss turned far away so that their hair doesn't get into your lipstick. Do not press your lips together. Do not lick your lips or chew your lips.

Yes, I am the cosmetic nazi.

I almost never wear black lipstick myself. My favorite shade in the world is L'Oreal's Chocolate Obsession in the 8 hour endless line. It really does last a long time and it's very creamy, even after blotting. It has never dried my lips out - in fact, it mangaes to moisturize them. They make a great fire engine red called Crimson Joy as well as a dried rose color called Extreme Spice. Very highly recommended.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #85
TeapotScar

Hmm. I like you... but I don't like reading essays... so you see my conflict of interest, I'm sure.

But I'm sure you have lots of useful things to say, and one day, when I take some ADD meds, I will read them all!

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #86
DreamsInBlack

I'm niether opposed nor for black lipstick, though I have some. It depends on my mood whether I wear it or not.
DreamsInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #87
DreamCase

I am not really into the whole lipstick thing period, it makes me look too over done. I do use yummy lipgloss and Chapstick. I like to use extremely red lipgloss when I go out though.
DreamCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #88
Corpus_Draconis

I tried black lips a couple times, but it looked terrible to I took it off imediately. I do have a nice dark, cool red though that is running out and I have to dig into the tube to get any out. I rarely wear it though just cuz it's difficult to eat, and I don't often go places other than school.

Also, once I tried covering my whole lips in lipliner (lipstick was running out) and then covering that in lip gloss (it was nice shimmery stuff too!), but it feathered horribly.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 AM   #89
Feuer_engel

I think the majority of the people who wear black lipstick dont know how to use it. ..lol, It's pretty tacky if it isn't in the right hands.
Feuer_engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #90
WolfMoon

It also makes some women who wear it look like drag queens.......

<------
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #91
dreamydancer

I used to wear black lipstick. I've realized how tasteless it was. Even though I applied it properly, I looked horribly tacky. I look at my old photos and go, "What the hell! Ugh!"

Some people can pull off the black lipstick but I'm not one of them.

For now, I stick to shades of purple and red.
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #92
strawberry_gashes

I wear black lipstick from time to time and, although it suits me, it comes off very quickly and when it starts to come off, looks absoloutely horrible. It might just be the make of lipstick i use but still, its enough to put me off a bit. I prefer the really dark purples you can get,
strawberry_gashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #93
NyQuil of Doom

It looks good sometimes. I prefer a semi-sheer black gloss that darkens my lips a bit and makes them really shiny, that or I use a very pale lipstick that makes me look like I've drowned or something. I've got one that makes my lips look completely cyanotic, looks great paired with dark eye makeup.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #94
TheKenna

Personaly I feel like black lipstick is sort of like, a basic, but not for all the time use, like I use purple on half of my top and the opposite half of my bottem lip and fill in the other halves with black for a sort of checkerboard pattern and I think it looks really cool, but black lipstick on its own, when worn poorly, should just go die.
TheKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #95
Raven SilverWolf

Black lipstick is beautiful and inteligent in my eyes.certainly not over the top.
Raven SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #96
Soul_Immortal

Black lipstick with a nice tint such as red, purple or blue is teh sex!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #97
BoleroBelle

Black lipstick in and of itself is trite. For a nice, dark look without looking like you have no sense of fashion, get the deepest shade of red you can find. A black cherry works very well. Also, when it starts to fade, it leaves a nice dark rim and blood red middle for a very sexy look.

I find the best look is black lipliner (eyeliner) with bright red lipstick. Blend the liner with the first coat of red and then add a second coat. very sexy.
BoleroBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #98
cyberJade

Black lips on a colored person looks really bad.
My skin is more on the olive side, so I use colors that will accentuate my face,
and still look very goth.
cyberJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #99
Kali Maxwell

I have black lipstick and wear it on occassion, but I can never find any good quality stuff, it's hard to get just right, and if I wear it too long it feathers like hell! I only wear it if I'm feeling brazen.

Usually I just wear clear gloss. I've never tried dark red. I'm very pale even without makeup, and I'm a little nervous about red, but I have a feeling I should try it. Thanks for the tips, Biancaneve, Patricia!
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #100
Black Gestalt

It's much better than purple or something imo. Depends on the person, but it can be very cool.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote