Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #151
unseelie_sidhee

my boyfriend uses beeswax on his hair, and it's awesome. it seals ends, conditions, protects from the straightening iron, and is 100% natural. the kind he uses is Murray's Australian beeswax. he started using it when he had dreds and continues even though he cut 'em off because it's neither chemical-infused like gel nor just plain gross like pomade.
unseelie_sidhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #152
DeathTrip

Aww awesome, thanks for the advice. I use some weird Lorel Paris stuff on my hair before I straighten it, and it doesnt seem to be as bad now, and Tall one in black I already have a ceramic straightener, but makes my hair go slightly frizzy lol..does smoking stop your hair from growing?
DeathTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #153
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTrip
Aww awesome, thanks for the advice. I use some weird Lorel Paris stuff on my hair before I straighten it, and it doesnt seem to be as bad now, and Tall one in black I already have a ceramic straightener, but makes my hair go slightly frizzy lol..does smoking stop your hair from growing?
It hasn't stopped my hair from growing, but it certainly alarmed my boyfriend. He saw the smoke and his eyes got very very big. I assured him it was normal. I'm not sure he believed me.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #154
rockandrose

By using hair product or no product before straightening your hair (on high temperature on regular basis), will assist in potential slipt ends, dry hair and breakage of hair. Frequent use of high heating on the around the head is not healthy for the scalp and can cause the scalp to become dry. In addition, frequent use of a hair straightening (on high temperature) can also cause fly-aways where the hair sticks out if you know what I meant by that.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #155
Rosie

Hey, I'm desperately looking for a short-ish style around chin length or above, but big and curly and 80s-ish. Anyone know any good styles?
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #156
DeathTrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
It hasn't stopped my hair from growing, but it certainly alarmed my boyfriend. He saw the smoke and his eyes got very very big. I assured him it was normal. I'm not sure he believed me.
Tee hee, how long is your hair would you say?

Ah yes, my hair goes extremely static after straightening, I always spray it with something to keep the ends down.. and i've also turned the temp down on my straighteners so at this moment in time I dont actually have any split ends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
By using hair product or no product before straightening your hair (on high temperature on regular basis), will assist in potential slipt ends, dry hair and breakage of hair. Frequent use of high heating on the around the head is not healthy for the scalp and can cause the scalp to become dry. In addition, frequent use of a hair straightening (on high temperature) can also cause fly-aways where the hair sticks out if you know what I meant by that.
Yes, my hair used to go extremely static once having it straightened, but its mildly ok now. If it gets really bad, I just spray it with something or other. Ive turned the temp down on my straighteners and I dont actually have any split ends at this moment in time. Yay!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #157
Tall One In Black

DeathTrip, my hair is this long:

Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #158
DeathTrip

Its beautiful, how long did it take you?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #159
Tall One In Black

Thank you. It's taken approximately 3 1/2 years to go from chin length to where it is now. I get it trimmed every 2-3 months. It's actually been longer - it was waist length when I dyed it purple and cut it to chin length. :O
Old 11-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #160
DeathTrip

Wow, why would you do such a thing? And 3 1/2 years is such a long time.. I hope mine gets that long.. i'll be 20 by the time that happens! =(
Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM   #161
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTrip
Wow, why would you do such a thing? And 3 1/2 years is such a long time.. I hope mine gets that long.. i'll be 20 by the time that happens! =(
I want long hair too, but the temptation to chop it all off right now is too strong, so I want to get it over with so I don't do it when I one day do have waist length hair.

I'll probably save up for extensions, though.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #162
DeathTrip

Xnguela - True.. but if I had my hair that long i'd never cut it!

Rosie - Extensions are supposed to be hard to handle.. and probably a lot of money too.. might aswell grow your hair, saves money and time.. even though it takes a while to grow it..
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #163
sensuous0mar

SO I have normal golden colored hair...thick, curly, pretty much kinda unoriginal. I straighten it sometimes and I'm thinking of putting red streaks in....how do you think it'll look while curly?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #164
sensuous0mar

WEEEEEE!
I'm in love with a girl named....x y z lmnop or whatever it is

The bad stage love abounds
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #165
Tall One In Black

I cut my hair mainly because bleaching out a few years' worth of black dye completely fried it. (I wanted bright purple and wasn't content to settle for dark plum/purple.) My hair is strong, but I really abused it severely. It began to break off like mad. :O

I also felt that purple hair should be funkier and have some swing to it. Having waist length purple hair that just hung there didn't seem to do justice to the color. And I did indeed like the purple even better when it was cut into a swingy bob. It was fun!

However, I doubt that I will ever cut my hair "short" (shorter than middle of back) again.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #166
Tall One In Black

I looked back through some photos to get a better sense of how long it took me to go from chin length to the current length (26"). It's actually been less than 3 years.

In high school, I had very short hair. Short like 4-5 inches in length. One day in senior year, I just decided that I wanted long hair, so I started letting it grow. It took about 5 years to get to waist length, about 32". That's a little more than 5 inches per year, which is about average allowing for occasional trims.

I have probably about one more year to get back to crazy long:

We can grow together.

A bonus for you is that your hair probably wouldn't have to be 32" to reach your waist unless you're tall like I am.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #167
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
So, Omar's hair turned out awesome!
Will there be pictures?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 AM   #168
DeathTrip

Quote:
I looked back through some photos to get a better sense of how long it took me to go from chin length to the current length (26"). It's actually been less than 3 years.

In high school, I had very short hair. Short like 4-5 inches in length. One day in senior year, I just decided that I wanted long hair, so I started letting it grow. It took about 5 years to get to waist length, about 32". That's a little more than 5 inches per year, which is about average allowing for occasional trims.

I have probably about one more year to get back to crazy long:

We can grow together.

A bonus for you is that your hair probably wouldn't have to be 32" to reach your waist unless you're tall like I am.
Simply beautiful! Your hair is very nice TOIB =D
Does your hair get less frizzy as it gets longer or does it still end up as one big afro after blow drying it?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #169
Tall One In Black

It does get less frizzy as it gets longer. The weight helps pull out any wave. So, though it seems a contradiction, my hair is actually easier to deal with when it's longer. When it was short, I constantly had to fight "mushroom head."

Another thing that helps is that my hair is all one length (except bangs). It's not layered or textured, which makes it smoother.

It's not quite an afro after blowing dry... more like 80's hair metal band.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #170
Tall One In Black

Yep... and wearing a bun gives me the chance to use my cool hairsticks topped with silver bats!!

Got my hair in a bun right now because it's freakin' HOT in my office. Seems like every girl here (except me, of course) gets cold easily. *grumble grumble grumble*
Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #171
Lauren Eliana

So I want to dye my hair black, which I've never done before. My hair is a medium brown color. Do I need to strip the color from my hair to do this?
Lauren Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #172
DeathTrip

Quote:
It does get less frizzy as it gets longer. The weight helps pull out any wave. So, though it seems a contradiction, my hair is actually easier to deal with when it's longer. When it was short, I constantly had to fight "mushroom head."

Another thing that helps is that my hair is all one length (except bangs). It's not layered or textured, which makes it smoother.

It's not quite an afro after blowing dry... more like 80's hair metal band.
Hehe awesome, well, I no longer need to worry about growing my hair.. I just need it to actually grow! I wish you could water it and it'd develop extra length or something =(
Old 11-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #173
Lauren Eliana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Nope! Black covers everything.

PS-- Read "For The Newbies" & post an introduction in the "Introduction Thread".
k, thanks much because I have major conformists for friends and they all told me not to do it because I would have to strip my hair, but that was probably just a way to get me to not do it. They pretty much hate everything about how I look, which is dumb but whatever. I'm done complaining now, sorry.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM   #174
Lauren Eliana

hummm. I would probably go with the blue-black. thanks.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #175
NyQuil of Doom

I'd go for the natural black... not the "soft black" and not the "blue-black".

The funny thing is, mine's naturally the "soft black" but I dye it burgundy-black to make it a little more interesting. I'll probably go back to black when I'm sick of having aubergine-coloured hair, though.