Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #26
Death_Mask

Camden is probably one of the very few places in which I don't get yelled at or made fun of.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mask
Cool, but I find the whole idea of dressing up in an elaborate outfit or a costume just to look Gothic ridiculous.
Uh, then don't.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #28
Saddiction

Quote:
It’s just painful watching a woman stumbling and falling over in her platform boots and not being able to get up because her plastic trousers enable her too whilst in the park trying to play tennis.
After reading, and re-reading this snippet, I am unable to make sense of the last part. However, I'd just like to say that if women OR men stumble or fall as often as you make it sound, then they should really not be wearing platform boots.

As for the whole Mall Goth thing. These high-school kids decked out in tripp pants, extra baggy t-shirts, accented by collars purchased at the local pet shop, kinda brought that upon themselves. Mall Goths are kids with really bad fashion sense that have nothing better to do than loiter in malls. Shopping is something that doesn't really come to mind, considering that these kids are most likely still in school, and most likely unemployed (unless of course mommy and daddy comes through with allowance).
Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #29
KontanKarite

I dress up every day. Because it's all that I have and it's all that I care to wear. I can also get away with it. I'm a very themed kind of person in life. My wardrobe spans from Victorian, Steampunk, Rivet, Cyber, and Deathrock.

When I go to work, I can wear ANYTHING I want. I'm not a cross dresser, so yeah. I get away with make up, solid black clothes, nail polish, PVC, velvet, vinyl, lace, GOGGLES, you name it. I haven't attempted my cyberfalls or wearing a dress, but I don't really want to either. Except for the falls of course.

I've become their resident goth at work. They love me and are insanely interested in the subculture. It's sweet, really.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #30
Saddiction

I'm one of those corperate types. I dress business casual during the day.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, Kontan, what do you do? Like what's your job title? Just curious.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #31
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
I'm one of those corperate types. I dress business casual during the day.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, Kontan, what do you do? Like what's your job title? Just curious.

I'm a corporate type. I outsource insurance membership claims. I ensure that the claims go where they need to go. It's a lot of sorting and such.

Go figure, eh?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #32
Saddiction

Crazy indeed. If I were to dress all crazy, I'm sure I'd be unemployed heh.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #33
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Crazy indeed. If I were to dress all crazy, I'm sure I'd be unemployed heh.

Poor Saddi. If it's any consolation, you're quite the looker when you're natural as well as dressed up.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #34
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
I remember when I went to Camden in my outfit I had prepared for Slimelight
LOL! SLIMELIGHT! I used to go there.

I don't anymore...There are only so many times I can hear This Shit Will Fuck You Up by Combichrist in one night. XD!

x
Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #35
maggot

Quote:
Your killing me.
You're so tough. I've always wanted to be like you. I try and try, but I just can never get that thick outer shell.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #36
LadyLucretia

When people dress up for fun randomly I think it shows a fresh enthusiasm to the subculture. I used to dress up and then go sit in the library, which had really cool architecture, and it was just a cool atmosphere to be in in a flowy, Stevie Nicks-esque outfit. But, that when I was just discovering goth, and had way more time on my hands!

Generally people who go all out every single day have issues. Generally. Exceptions are people who work in goth clothing stores, or are makeup artists, or are otherwise in a creative industry where they can get away with nearly everything. I still think it's a lot of effort to do hair, makeup and wardrobe every single day though.

I think after years and years in the scene, dressing up loses it's novelty. I'm always impatient when doing my hair and makeup because it's taken on a routine element. I like *being* dressed up, but not the process of getting there. So I couldn't imagine wasting an hour or two getting ready just to do mundane things - sometimes I'm loathe to dress up for major events, nevermind the damn grocery store!
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #37
raggedyanne

LadyLucretia, will you be my lesbian lover?! You have a great outlook on life and the subculture. There should be more people like you!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #38
prophecyofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Just because young people are at the mall, doesn't mean they are mall goths..
Of course not. It's the head to toe Hot Topic, and the fact that they're there all the freaking time, not working or shopping but just showing off how cool they are. Mind you, I'm only saying this the slightest bit scornfully... I like mall goths. I can clearly recall strutting around the local mall with my friends when I was in high school, how immensely pleased with ourselves we were.

Quote:
It’s just painful watching a woman stumbling and falling over in her platform boots and not being able to get up because her plastic trousers enable her too whilst in the park trying to play tennis.
It's in our nature as a species to torture ourselves for fashion. I don't think that's really trying too hard, lotsa people have a certian image they wish to present to the world that includes uncomfortable shoes. I see non-goths hobbling painfully around due to impractical footwear all the time. Also when I try to picture a goth stumbling around trying to play tennis, I think of someone laughing and goofing around, and I imagine it would be funny, not painful, to witness.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 AM   #39
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
You're so tough. I've always wanted to be like you. I try and try, but I just can never get that thick outer shell.
Well not everyone can be awesome like me but if you [i]try[i] you might just be half as great.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #40
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I dress up every day. Because it's all that I have and it's all that I care to wear. I can also get away with it. I'm a very themed kind of person in life. My wardrobe spans from Victorian, Steampunk, Rivet, Cyber, and Deathrock.

When I go to work, I can wear ANYTHING I want. I'm not a cross dresser, so yeah. I get away with make up, solid black clothes, nail polish, PVC, velvet, vinyl, lace, GOGGLES, you name it. I haven't attempted my cyberfalls or wearing a dress, but I don't really want to either. Except for the falls of course.

I've become their resident goth at work. They love me and are insanely interested in the subculture. It's sweet, really.
That's cool, I would never be allowed to dress the way I wanted to in school but outside I can go as crazy as I want to (within reason though as my Father calls it).
Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #41
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Uh, then don't.
Meh can't help myself.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #42
Death_Mask

[quote=Saddiction]After reading, and re-reading this snippet, I am unable to make sense of the last part. However, I'd just like to say that if women OR men stumble or fall as often as you make it sound, then they should really not be wearing platform boots.[quote]

Sorry, the last part was messed up. Too much stuff going on inside my brain and too little fingers to type, my apologies. But what I meant was that the Goth wasn’t dressed in a suitable manner to play tennis in, what with her platform boots and PVC trousers. But then if she was comfortable in it then fine, I was simply giving my personal views on it.

Oh and I said she only fell over once, but after she had she took at least 5 minutes to get back up again with those shiny trousers of hers.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 AM   #43
Death_Mask

Why didn't that quote?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #44
Bete Noire

I think if someone wants to put the effort in without an occasion, then that's up to them, personally I wouldn't. I don't have the time or the looks to pull it off. I dont have a problem with people going over the top if they want to. As long as they don't take themselves tooooo seriously. If they do then I still respect their right to dress how then want when they want, but I laugh and the scowls.

On another note, I've ended up playing tennis whilst moderately gothed up. I won.

Against people wearing the proper gear.:P

So there bitches:P

"That's cool, I would never be allowed to dress the way I wanted to in school but outside I can go as crazy as I want to (within reason though as my Father calls it)."
We have a lovely school uniform and a rule against dyed hair to supress any creative bad-gunky that might start leaking.
And my parents are fairly tolerant. Though my mum occasionally protests about my dress.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #45
Death_Mask

So does mine though they're starting to respect my style more. I've been allowed to get my nose pierced and have my hair dyed so they're cool with my dress sense.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #46
Breathless Horror

Harry = Jealous. I want 9 piercings, my parents told me that I could get them done, as long as I looked for an apartment while I was at it. *angry face*

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #47
Death_Mask

I still can’t get my lip pierced though as this would make me look like a “rock star idiot” or a “stupid hippy”.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #48
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
LadyLucretia, will you be my lesbian lover?! You have a great outlook on life and the subculture. There should be more people like you!
Erm, judging by the age on your profile that wouldn't exactly be legal . But I appreciate the sentiment anyhow.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #49
maggot

Apparently you joke int he same way I do. o_o

That's a plus, considering nobody else does.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #50
Death_Mask

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Apparently you joke int he same way I do. o_o

That's a plus, considering nobody else does.
Me? If so, many people don’t ever get my sense of humour, they just get all red in the face. Anyways I think because of some misunderstandings by me we had a rocky start, sorry about that.