Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #151
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
I think Gwen Stefani is absolutely gorgeous and she probably does looks good without make-up.
From the pictures I've seen she does. She really is amazingly gorgeous.

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #152
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
Wow, I guess they have a lot more blemishes then they let on. I would prefer models that actually looked like theirselves.
Mostly it's just evening out skin tone, fixing lighting problems, catching make-up smudges. But the blemishes are there too. It's kind of nuts really how much work goes into creating society's vision of perfection. The world aspires to become something that doesn't exist...nuts...

Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #153
rockandrose

Make up is not a necessity. Though I believe it goes beyond artificiality.

In one perspective, make up is form of art and one way of expressing oneself.

Make up can temporarily conceal blemishes and alter one's features, but it can't conceal the beauty of a person's face.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #154
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Make up is not a necessity. Though I believe it goes beyond artificiality.

In one perspective, make up is form of art and one way of expressing oneself.

Make up can temporarily conceal blemishes and alter one's features, but it can't conceal the beauty of a person's face.
I agree with you, people who seem to think makeup is absolutely a necessity are, in general, the type of people who annoy me.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #155
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Makeup can be seen as a beauty enhancement... I don't wear it except I often wear lip gloss, and I wear full makeup on special occasions.

If you think of it like you think of high heels, something you only wear once in a while to look extra hot, I think you've got a healthy mentality.
That's a very good way to put it, 'cause that's precisely what I was thinking, but couldn't think of a good way to put it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
When I was younger, I thought that without eyeliner life wasn't worth living. I wouldn't leave the house without it.

Thank god I got over that!
I had a had a phase my freshman year in high school where I wouldn't leave the house without full make up, partially because it was now allowed by my parents, and partially out of a need to hide myself from hundreds of people that made me feel exceedingly uncomfortable. Thank gods I got rid of that obcession...though I wish I could forsee a happy medium in my future (it's possible, I know, but not when you're a lazy bum who generally gets ready in the last possible 7 minutes of time available when going somewhere lol) I -never- bother with makeup for school anymore, and don't do much with it unless it's a special occasion, but seeing as I get so rediculously excited about doing my makeup for special occasions, one would think I'd wear it more often, lol

Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #156
joyslayer

Makeup, its fun and great and all, but it just gets old. So many people obsess over not "looking" good enough. But alot of it has to do that with MOST, not all, but most men look for the supermodel-sticks, the flawless, curveless body that less and less women actually have. Most women think they have to CONSTANTLY look good.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #157
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyslayer
alot of it has to do that with MOST, not all, but most men look for the supermodel-sticks, the flawless, curveless body
I disagree that most men look for the supermodel type. I think most men like women to have curves.

And men don't notice the flaws on a woman's body like women do.

Women - not men - are the ones who perpetuate the drive for flawless stick-thin bodies.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #158
joyslayer

I dont know about that one.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #159
Jane13

Quote:
Yeah. Very true. I really hate that. No one is that edpressionless. And the whole absence of the curves thing.... THAT really annoys me. No one is a stick.
That's not neccesarily true... it's definitely not me, but I have two friends (sisters) who are super skinny and tall because that happen to be of Norwiegen/Scottish desent. They get really pissed off when people think they are anorexic or are obsessed with fashion, because they're just... really thin.

But I definitely understand your points and agree with them.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #160
joyslayer

But its not something they strive for, If they can keep the look, i say more power to them. ^.^

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #161
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
I disagree that most men look for the supermodel type. I think most men like women to have curves.

Women - not men - are the ones who perpetuate the drive for flawless stick-thin bodies.
I agree. Men do tend to be more attracted to curvier woman as opposed to "stick thin" types.

Men may drool looking in magazines over "stick thin" supermodels, but in reality it's different.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #162
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black

Quote:
I agree. Men do tend to be more attracted to curvier woman as opposed to "stick thin" types.

Men may drool looking in magazines over "stick thin" supermodels, but in reality it's different.
I agree with both of you. It's actually against general human male instinct to be attracted to stick thin women with no curves. Curvey women, from a psychological standpoint, tend to send the message that they are healthy and will be good child bearers thus, from a sexual/procreational stand point curvey is, and always will be, "in."

Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #163
joyslayer

Well then, I suppose i'm convinced.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #164
diablos666

my school really doesnt care cause there barely are goths in our school only punks(queers)..
diablos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #165
joyslayer

I am the only some-what gothic person in my school, only because all of the seniors left last year.... I feel so very alone. XD

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #166
Metatron

My school is actually very tolerant of everyone, including goths, punks, transgenders, gays, you get my point. Our dress code includes: No T-shirts with foul language, nudity, etc., no hats while school is in session, no belly buttons or stomachs showing, no underwear, bras, etc. showing, and no shoulders showing (for girls). Anything else is fair game...no rules about hair color, piercings, or tattoos.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #167
joyslayer

Well, I don't think guys should be able to show their shoulders if girls can't! I mean, that not very fair...

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #168
Metatron

Guys don't have anything to reveal in the upper half of their body...
Old 12-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #169
joyslayer

Yeah, I know that, but its the prinibles.....

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #170
Metatron

I understand, but keep in mind the dress code isn't strictly enforced...so you could probably get away with it.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #171
joyslayer

But either way, its still a rule. Oh well....

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #172
Darkfeeling

Nothing has been done...tons of goths at my school. They might say something If I wear spikes though which I usually dont. But yeah you can pretty much wear what you want at my school. Im going to a new school next year though and if they make rules against stupid shit like eyeliner and nail polish im gunna totally lose it.
Darkfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #173
IlGato_DiDiablo

Quote:
Gothier than thou, nice. One of my favorites though, is, "Oh My God! You're like, a gothic!" (curtosy of a close minded asshole at my damned school)
I just fucking hate that. When people just walk up to you and say that. It irritates me and gets on my nerves so much I would just wanna smack them across the face, especially in school. When you're in this country, people just judge you from the way you look/dress etc... They would always say " Satanic " or " devil worshipper " ppl just don't no and are wayy too close minded. 3rd world freaks...
IlGato_DiDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #174
Hirsipuutarhuri

In my school theres no such problems like "wash that eyeliner off!!".
Thank goddess
You can dress like u want.
If you wear swimsuit they may say sometin to u...
Hirsipuutarhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #175
xXambivalenceXx

I think it's funny because alot of the freshman girls, mainly the popular ones, get dared to come talk to me and my friends. Depending on who they are, I'm nice, or I give them a hard time. It's fun to play up the Gothic stereotype.