Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #3101
BourbonBoy

Reading before bed is "R@pe: Sex Violence History" by Joanna Burke after seeing MissA and Saya discuss it in another thread. It's one of the most informative, and difficult, non-fiction books I've ever read.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #3102
Miss Absynthe

Oh, sweetie.. it is not 'before bed' type of reading.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #3103
BourbonBoy

Yeah, I kinda figured that. The stats and even the arguments that have been made just in modern times alone are fucking infuriating.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #3104
Saya

I really appreciate the focus she puts on rapists though. I wish there was a statistic for how many people are rapists alongside how many people are victims.

That said, the book made me appreciate how awful the criminal justice system can be, even for rapists and alleged rapists (did you get to the part yet about the black guy who was falsely accused, but became a rapist in the prison system? The one To Kill A Mocking Bird was based on? Can't remember his name...)
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #3105
BourbonBoy

Yeah, I remember that part. I was so pissed off I put the book down for a few days. I'm just now working my way through the exhibitionist chapter.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #3106
Xombie

A bunch of Flannery O'Connor shorts.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3107
Class-Punk

I've been skimming the Vivekachudamani.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #3108
Pineapple_Juice

Sandman Slim. It's okay thusfar, nothing brilliant.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3109
Saya

Columbine by Dave Cullen. Only a little ways in and already its making me realize that we still have huge assumptions about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #3110
Saya

I read The Contract With God trilogy by Will Eisner, it was pretty good. I gotta trust the Goodreads recommendations more.

I also read The Exorcist, was actually not scary. It was obscene, and I'm not for censorship or anything like that, but I notice a huge difference between how men write sexual violence and how women and everyone else writes sexual violence. Like I notice with men it feels more gratuitous, its shocking and gross but it also doesn't feel as horrible as it should be; in the Exorcist yeah the demon making Regan masturbate in front of everyone is gross and what I mean when I say obsence, and its truly the worst the book has to offer. But its gross for the spectator, Regan herself is totally unaffected, has no memory, is not traumatized, etc, it has nothing to do with her. The movie did include those scenes only it was way toned down and overall I think the movie is way scarier and way better.

Now reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #3111
CuckooTuli

Just finished the third volume of Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, and so far I'm just completely blown away. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Neil's fiction, but perfect it ain't... this, though... it's without flaw. Fucking brilliant. I've been meaning to read it for years, and am just kicking myself for taking so long to get around to it.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #3112
NKR

The Taker By Alma Katsu.

The main character's thirst is something else.
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #3113
BourbonBoy

Just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline and rather enjoyed it. Full of amusing moments if you get the 80's references plus it's a total gamer's story.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #3114
Saya

A Small Killing by Alan Moore. I think this might be my favourite thing by him.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #3115
Fruitbat

Shhh... don't tell anyone but I'm reading Why people hate america. I'd hate for it to get out that I occassionally reed books that arnt fiksion.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #3116
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I had to quit reading Spinoza...he just doesn't click with me like the others.
I am skipping ahead to Hegel or maybe Kierkegaard. I think reading all of Nietzsche before any other philosopher (except Plato/Socrates) spoiled me and now others have a high standard to meet.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #3117
Saya

I can't say I've read a terrible amount of Kierkegaard, but I really liked his interpretation of the sacrifice of Isaac.

Read The Turn Of The Screw today while the power was gone, going to try to squeeze in The Kingdom Of God Is Within You before school readings overwhelm me.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #3118
Jaye Jang

"Eaters of the Dead," by Michael Crichton, again.

Got a kick out of the excerpt in the original version from Ibn Fadlan's description of the Vikings being 'as tall as trees, with legs and arms like tree trunks' and how they were swinging their 'gigantic' hand axes over their heads and about their 'terrifying' war yells and then he goes on to say, "...and that's just their women."
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #3119
Judas

Nothing, right now. Trying to figure out what to read next. I'm thinking something sci-fi. Any suggestions?
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #3120
NapalmCow

Last Exit to Brooklyn-Hubert Selby Jr.
NapalmCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #3121
BourbonBoy

The Untold History of the United States by Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick. I'm only halfway through the second chapter and holy shit, there's a shitload that's not mentioned in high school classes.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #3122
Fruitbat

listening to the light.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #3123
Saya

Finished In Cold Blood last night. It was good, I got it mostly because I was getting sick of the unicorn book I was reading XD Too much whimsy, I needed to read something horrific. But seriously, good book. I like how it wasn't gratuitous when it came to the violence and didn't include pictures, just eyewitness testimony and then the confessions of the killers.

Reading Gaga Feminism: Sex, Gender, and the End of Normal now by J. Jack Halberstam. Not far into it but I'm glad the author is talking more of the idea of Gaga and not idolizing her or pretending she invented this.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #3124
Saya

Just finished Gaga Feminism. I don't know whether to recommend it or not. Like there's definitely great points made, but also really shitty points, and its not very coherent as to what being gaga feminist means, basically, don't be traditional in any aspect, don't get married, don't be religious, don't be normal in any way. Be childish and unpredictable. How is this accessible? How does gaga translate to the real world? I have to give it the same criticism Gender Trouble got, in that creating gender trouble still by and large isn't safe for a lot of people. As a white academically successful genderqueer, it might be safer for the author than a transwoman, especially a transwoman of colour.

And what's wrong for liking any kind of tradition whatsoever? Is lets say Solumina by being in an open marriage less radical or gaga in comparison to unmarried couples who are emphatically monogamous?

THIS BOOK RAISES TOO MANY PROBLEMATIC QUESTIONS.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #3125
BourbonBoy

Finished "The Untold History of the United States" by Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick. I highly recommend my fellow Yanks to pick up a copy and read it, even if you hate history. It's very eye opening and shows you why we're dealing with the shit we are now in the U.S. and the effects with the rest of the world, confirming some of the things I felt when I deployed to Iraq or was stationed overseas in Germany and South Korea.