Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Despanan

Lightbulb Mayday 2012

So, Mayday.

Mayday was fucking huge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVUKz3hhYg

Things started out early with rain in NYC, the protest congregated in 2 main areas, the main hub was Bryant Park where we held teach-ins, a people's kitchen, and we got ready for the Guitarmy with Tom Morello at the head:

http://loudwire.com/files/2012/05/143637220.jpg

We also had Immortal Technique Dan Decon, and Das Racist and quite a few others.

The second one was the March I went with, which was the Wildcat March, made up primarily of younger, angrier folks from Brooklyn and the other boroughs:

There were some arrests but this march was actually pretty subdued compared to Seattle and Oakland.

BTW: the OPD deployed a freaking armored vehicle they bought from Blackwater against the OWS protestors.

But in New York My contingent marched to Washington Square Park where we joined with a bunch of NYU students talking about Capitalism and Student Debt, we stayed there for a few and then rejoined the folks at Bryant Park.

Around 2 everyone marched From Bryant Park to Union Square where the crowd grew to thousands, OWS was joined by Labor Unions, Immigrants rights groups, and a large number of other activists and causes. The gay flag was flying, Communist flags were flying, Anarchist Flags were flying.

We had a press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYEssgGkShg

The Immigration and Labor folks also had one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw91N9LXnfA

By 5:30 the crowd had grown to around 30,000 of various ages, orientations and ethnicities:

It was so big it was spilling out into the streets, at 5:30 we marched on Wall Street, with NYC Cab drivers leading us.

We made it to Zucotti, and then marched down to Wall Street, which Was Blocked Off, the march ended at the Veterans memorial in Battery Park.

Overall, Mayday was HUGE for the movement, and I was happy to see it. People were saying that this was bigger than N17, which I don't think is true. The crowd was comparable to N17, and the Mayday activity around the country and the world was awesome to see. I really have never been so proud of my generation, and as of now, I have alot of hope for Occupy going forward.

Here's some scenes from Mayday in NYC and around the world:

http://imgur.com/a/kr1Ug#0 <---They're awesome so please flip through them. You get some shots of Mounted Police officers looking like Nazgul and the Tank-thing the OPD brought out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
AshleyO

"It was so big, it was spilling out into the streets!"

That's what she said!

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Despanan

Also, this is awesome:

Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Alan

LMAO, it took me a while to understand what was going on.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Despanan

Yeah, I actually really liked Montreal's approach to Black Bloc. They showed up dressed as clowns and just started mocking the whole thing.

Overall, they were really effective, as the police were unable to disperse the march when they tried to.
Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
AshleyO

Just spilling out on the streets!!!

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote