Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #3051
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Handmaiden's Tale
Handmaid's Tale? Love that book to pieces, I really need to get it back.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #3052
Saya

Finished All Quiet On The Western Front, and since its a given that I won't be sleeping tonight as a result, finally reading Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde.

At long last.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #3053
Xombie

I just started Ishmael.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3054
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Handmaid's Tale? Love that book to pieces, I really need to get it back.
I haven't finished yet, but the reviews said it didn't really have an ending, which is a bummer.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #3055
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I haven't finished yet, but the reviews said it didn't really have an ending, which is a bummer.
Sort of, in that you're not really sure what happens but its not on a down note. There's a floptastic low budget movie that had a more solid ending so I just take that for headcanon.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3056
Saya

The Lathe Of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #3057
Minyaliel

I'm finishing "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love these two authors dearly. I have also started reading book 4 of the Rogue Agent series by K. E. Mills (the title of the book evades me at the moment), which seems to continue the series' tried and tested formula of ridiculously funny fantasy, but somewhat brainless entertainment. A perfect book for the first few weeks after a set of utterly exhausting exams, in other words.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #3058
Xombie

Siddhartha.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #3059
Saya

Just read The Parable Of The Sower by Octavia Butler. Its like, what, the third book I read all in one day since my YA years? And one of those was Metamorphosis so it doesn't really count. I feel like it was a bit of a brain overload to read in one day and really depressing, but I'll definitely read her other books.

Got The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin to start tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #3060
Vladimir Lessard

Just finished reading Horace Walpole's Gothic novel, The Castle of Otranto (1764). Generally regarded as the first gothic novel. A mixture of comedy and tragedy. If you have previously been put off reading 'classic' literature composed of antiquated language, then fear not, despite being written such a long time ago the novel is very readable. Further the novel is barely one hundred pages in length.
Vladimir Lessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #3061
Class-Punk

A Game of Thrones.

And presently, skimming the Avadhut Gita.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #3062
Valhalla

I just started The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. So far I really like the way he's set up the story, and I'm curious about how it all pans out.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #3063
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
I'm finishing "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love these two authors dearly. I have also started reading book 4 of the Rogue Agent series by K. E. Mills (the title of the book evades me at the moment), which seems to continue the series' tried and tested formula of ridiculously funny fantasy, but somewhat brainless entertainment. A perfect book for the first few weeks after a set of utterly exhausting exams, in other words.
Good Omens! I love that book! My copy is currently kidnapped by one o' my girlies....She best give it back. My summer isn't complete unless I re-read it.

As for what I am reading: Sandman. (I'm reading spooky comic books...Can I be one of the cool kids now? ) I find Death adorable and I want to be just like her when I grow up.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #3064
Shimla

I just got finished reading Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar for the second time. Too funny!
I'm waiting on a bunch of books to get delivered to me, so I read the interwebs until then! Or maybe give Divergent by Veronica Roth yet another read...
Shimla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #3065
Saya

Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #3066
Geoluhread

A handmaid's tale.
Hating every line of this book. Great idea but VERY poor production and writing.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #3067
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
A handmaid's tale.
Hating every line of this book. Great idea but VERY poor production and writing.
Bwah? Atwood is a fantastic writer!

EDIT: You have every right not to enjoy it, of course! Its also not something I'd recommend to any non-North American people, as its a very political reflection of American conservativism in the eighties. If its your first Atwood I'd probably recommend another dystopian like Year Of The Flood.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #3068
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Bwah? Atwood is a fantastic writer!

EDIT: You have every right not to enjoy it, of course! Its also not something I'd recommend to any non-North American people, as its a very political reflection of American conservativism in the eighties. If its your first Atwood I'd probably recommend another dystopian like Year Of The Flood.
The reason I didn't like it is mainly the way it's written, the story is great. The main character [Offred] is not, however. She is very stupid and it was very hard for me to like her.
The structure of the paragraphs and jumps from narrating and memories were very 'ungraceful' .. I'm not a literature geek but I've read my share of books.. and this one isn't my cup of tea in terms of way of writing.

Anyway... I just finished The Handmaid's Tale and I started American Psycho.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #3069
Saya

Ooooh okay, sorry, usually when someone says something was badly written I start thinking in terms of things like grammar or redundancy or things like that and not necessarily chronological format, you know?

In that case I don't think I can recommend much Atwood, most of her books do that. The only one I can think of that didn't was Moral Disorder, which was an anthology of short stories that were all about different stages in a character's life. It was okay over all, the only story I really loved though was the one where the character is reading to her dying father.

Anyway, just finished Racism Without Racists, should be required reading. Was really shocked to learn how many people aren't okay with interracial marriage, integration or affirmative action.

Reading St. Francis by Nikos Kazantzakis, not sure if I'll finish it, its well written and I like some stuff about it, but Francis's character development is weird. Like he goes straight from worldly rich boy to self-flagellating saint with no in between.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #3070
Mir

Wuthering heights by Emily Bronte for the umpteenth time... <.< >.>
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #3071
CuckooTuli

About to start on The Invisibles. I've been looking forward to this one for a loooong time
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #3072
Angelic Dissonance2

Just finished Sandman 6: Fables And Reflections.
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #3073
Versus

FM 3-20.15 (Tank Platoon)
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3074
Saya

Finished Beloved by Toni Morrison, took me a while because its just that sad. But it was really really good.

Now reading This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #3075
colette.montoya10

The Count of Monte Cristo

i think this thread is very helpful to know about good books to read. i have bought 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexander Dumas last month. yet not completed, i keep reading a chapter per a day. it is very interesting.
colette.montoya10 is offline   Reply With Quote