Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #51
ZyklonB

I have been to some very horrible Goodwills. Here in LA I live near one down on San Fernando road I believe, or near there. And it is HORRIBLE.

But, there are some nice ones. There is one in the Gendale/eagle rock area that is just lovely, and I have picked up some nice things from there. Including, oh yes, books! Orgasmic books! *hugs all his books*
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #52
Bat Brains

I don't have much luck in op-shops. Everything is too big for me. The only thing I've found that fits is an old pair of docs
Bat Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #53
Rorschach Twin

I either have great luck, or terrible luck. My favorite thrift stores are in Atlanta, but I have to drive pretty far to get to them... they have a whole hippie area though... not much goth stuff, but it's still awesome.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #54
magickaykay

I have no luck in my nearby thrift stores, I'm unsure if it's me or just the crappy thrift stores. But, there is one thrift store that is like 30-40 minutes away, that has awsome clothing. My friend gets all her Corsets and stuff from there, and the prices are soo super cheap! I'll go there one day.
Also, people tell me that it is hard to find nice clothing, for males, in the thrift stores where I live.
magickaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #55
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by magickaykay
I have no luck in my nearby thrift stores, I'm unsure if it's me or just the crappy thrift stores. But, there is one thrift store that is like 30-40 minutes away, that has awsome clothing. My friend gets all her Corsets and stuff from there, and the prices are soo super cheap! I'll go there one day.
Also, people tell me that it is hard to find nice clothing, for males, in the thrift stores where I live.
It depends what you're looking for.

I usually buy blazers, and it's hard to find my size, because I'm Ueber Skinny.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #56
magickaykay

When I walk into a thrift store I usually walk in there with an open mind looking for generally anything. But I'm goign to try again in a few months to see if my luck has changed.
magickaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
Godslayer Jillian

Damn, yesterday was a good thrift day for me. In just two stores we found so many little hidden jewels. Thrift stores are always all about luck.
Like most in here, it's hard to find cool stuff that fits me, but that's why I go to the women's section as much as the men's section, and it doesn't take much to turn even an XXL shirt into a small one. I found two women jackets that look unisex enough for me to wear them, perfect for patching them; three vests and one of them brown so that I can have a more 'normal' outfit; a pair of boots almost identical to the ones I wear; two huge Tshirts, easily fixed; and two pants.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #58
Tha Duckman

Thrift stores are kick ass for cheap music.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #59
drewsilla

Thrift stores are a treasure-filled wonderland for me! The best part is the hunt for that elusive piece that you just know is waiting for you.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #60
L'Oiseau Noir

Thrifting is as important to me as the air I breath, and the food I cram down my throat.

I've found quite a few nice pieces at my local thrift shop. There was a nice victorianesque blouse I found that was reminiscent of a nineteenth century teacher's; however I'm upset because my dad got primer all over it, and I have no idea how I'd take it out.

I've also acquired a rather nice selection of pretty skirts, both long and short.

Why, I even found the Chronicles of Barsetshire by Anthony Trollope there.

It's a treasure trove for me!

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #61
blackwater1110

I usually don't find much in the way of clothes at thrift stores because I'm really tall, but one time I went to the Last Chance Mercantile at the dump and found an old NES system and a crapload of games for ten bucks. I played it all summer. It was great.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #62
Magila

Thrift stores are the only place i actually buy clothes from mostly, found a pair of neat looking ww2 German army boots.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #63
KontanKarite

My last thrifting was actually more or less a dumpster dive.

I found a denim jacket from 1984 that I dyed black and gave to my gf, two sets of black mesh curtains and each one a 5 piece set, a vest, and a new belt.

All for free.

Oddly enough, we also found an empty mixed tape case that had the titles of the contents of what was on the tape. A collection of goth rock, "soft" industrial and industrial music. That was really an odd find. It was titled, "Music For People Who Are Mad At System!!!"

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #64
ForgetThisLostLenore

I wish I could find something, anything in the thrift stores around here. But the people around here are dullards and wouldn't know black lace if it smacked them in the face and did the polka. I did fins a really cool skirt, and the dress I used for my Halloween costume in the one that just closed down. I miss that place.

The last time we went there, we went to another one just down the street (which actually had air conditioning in 90 degree weather) and I was searching for basicly something I could use for scraps, and two rather rude women told me I must've been lost, The x-small section was in front. Seeing as that and Goodwill are my only options, I haven't been thrift shopping in a while.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #65
badteccy

I've decided to only shop at thrift stores in Philly, like Retrospect.
Retrospect is great and depending on my cash I might go there Saturday, besides, I love taking the bus by myself to tha city.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #66
Freyia

I love thrift stores. you never know what you are going to find!
I do, however, tend to lose hours of my time when ever i step inside one.
Freyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #67
Pineapple_Juice

I don't usually shop anywhere else, or if I do it's when I feel like splurging at some stupid alt store where a belt is fifty bucks. Ross=good.
I just recently found a skirt there for ten dollars marked down from eighty, never worn.
Only thing I'm skeptical about at thrift stores are shoes. *shudder* I must have nice shoes, and who knows what sort of fungal mess is hidden in the cracks of those worn out heels...
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #68
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I can spend hours in the Stray Cat Vintage Clothing and Consignment Store on Harbor Blvd. in Fullerton CA. Not only do they have cheap, cool clothes but CDs and VINYL records too! Original Only Theatre of Pain by Christian Death is $60 though, not very thrifty. But they have all kinds of patches, jackets, coats, top hats, boots, military uniforms of various branches of the armed forces, gas masks....

I wish I could win the lottery. Then I could by the whole freakin' store.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #69
Pineapple_Juice

Hmmm, how far is Fullerton from Long Beach?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #70
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
About 45 minutes.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #71
Pineapple_Juice

I am so there.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #72
Tea and Cake or Death

Well, I found me a pair of leather pants, stompy-stompy boots, and Cure tee. Upon the first time wearing the tee I realized why it wasn't bought before. Someone had burned it on the bottom hem in the back. Easily fixed!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #73
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcrimson
I go to thrift stores all the time. The problem I have is I live near a gothic community and because of that all the good stuff is usually picked over. Since the thrift stores know that Victorian and certin Black styles of clothing are really popular they charge outrageous prices for them.
You live next to a gothic community!? Lucky you! I live in Sault Ste Marie Canada. I can't find any groups of Gothic people anywhere. Fuck the soo!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #74
Wormboy

Hey pineapple, if you're in my neck of the woods sometime, check out Iguana Clothing on ventura blvd. They also have one in hollywood that's even bigger.

I love Ventura Blvd, two vintage stores, a clothing exchange, two good wills, a gag/prop shop, and many other little nick nack areas. Great stuff.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #75
Opteron_Man

I found a nice black leather knee lenth coat at a thrift store for 7 bucks! The zipper was totaled so I had a drycleaner shop put a new nylon zipper on for a hefty 32 bucks. I love it. Now if only I had a nice brimmed hat to go with it.

That sucker was around 300 something bucks when new. I really lucked out. Yay!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote