Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4426
library

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/
library is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #4427
Ms.Nelle

My Mr. is on an 80's kick so we just watched Night of the Comet and Girls Just Want to Have Fun.
Ms.Nelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #4428
Beowulf

Cool

The Dead Pool (USA, 1988, Directed by Buddy Van Horn)

`For Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan, fame and celebrity status is not his lifestyle, especially when it interferes with his job. But right after putting one of San Francisco's crime bosses in prison, Callahan ends up in the status quo as well as being written in a list for a game called, 'The Dead Pool', where his life is now in the line along with other famous celebrities that are mysteriously dying. Callahan is up against the media attention, an enraged hit man, and a new killer, who's attempting to throw off the dead pool game anyway possible. Callahan has to find the connection between the killings and the perpetrator, before the game can be declared over.`

Source

Trailer

I can remember seeing this in the cinema when it came out as a teenager, awesome film, it would of been cool to see the first three films (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The enforcer, which were all made in the early to mid seventies) on the big screen too !!!.

Look out for cameos by Jim Carrey in his first non comic role , and Guns N Roses (as the song `Welcome To The Jungle` was used in the soundtrack) !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #4429
Ben Lahnger

Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1974)

IMDB

Too much badly-dubbed, cheap, Spanish horror film, and not enough boobs (although the ones that are displayed, proud and nude, are lovely) and not enough Elvira.

I fell asleep.

I got the disc from Netflix, but you can watch the whole thing on YouTube here:

Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love

I would imagine that the bare breasts are censored in the broadcast/YouTube version.
Shucky-darn!

If you don't want to sit through 1 hour and 38 minutes of that, how about:

The Elvira Coor's Light commercial

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #4430
xAphotic

Grindhouse's "Planet Terror".
xAphotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #4431
Saya

The Secret Of NIMH, and watching Little Miss Sunshine now.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #4432
Valhalla

Saw the new Harry Potter yesterday. Not going to lie, I found some parts of it really sad. The actor who played Voldemort was hillarious most of the time.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #4433
BlackVeil

The Dark Knight. Have seen it a few times. Think Heath did an awesome job as the Joker.
BlackVeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #4434
BlackVeil

Have seen almost all of the Harry Potter movies. My daughter loves them. Not sure I would have watched them, but she got me into them and I actually really did like them.
BlackVeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #4435
Saya

So on TCM they're doing an "Arab Images In Film" month, and holy shit. I watched Ali Baba Goes To Town where an American goes back in time to Baghdad in the middle ages and teaches the ignorant sultan how Roosevelt's New Deal will save his kingdom from unrest. Most if not all of the "Arabs" are played by white people, and they own black slaves. The jolly American does a musical number and puts on blackface and teaches the slaves swing and tap...and honestly I kinda forgot all the stuff that was probably racist towards Arabs.

We then watched Road To Morocco which seemed far more self aware, and there was a short about Algiers and how beneficial the French rule was to the poor ignorant Algerians (This was made only like two or three years before independence).

Anyway, the whole thing led to me and my roommate talking about racist movies, and one of her favourite films happens to be Gunga Din and the lady has never seen any of the Indiana Jones films, and Temple Of Doom sounds a lot like Gunga Din, so we watched Raiders Of The Lost Ark and tomorrow we're watching Temple Of Doom.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #4436
Ben Lahnger

Fun! Make sure you get her to watch "The Last Crusade" too. Temple of Doom is okay but is easily the weakest of the four Indy films, even counting the significant problems with the last one.

Crusade would be a high note to finish on!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #4437
Saya

Oh definitely! I don't even like Temple Of Doom, just thought she ought to see it and also trick her into seeing The Last Crusade, which is one of my favourite movies.

Also, VALIDATION! I too think Temple Of Doom is the weakest of the four and I often joke about how there is no fourth movie. Crystal Skull was bad, but still watchable.

I wish they'd do an adaptation of one of the good Indiana Jones video games, Staff Of Moses was fun and Fate Of Atlantis was better than Temple Of Doom and Crystal Skull combined.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #4438
Ben Lahnger

At this point I don't trust Spielberg or Lucas to make a decent sequel product out of anything they've made in the past. In fact, I wish they'd stop remaking everything they've done before (like digitally replacing the Fed's guns in "E.T." with walkie talkies or editing the original "Star Wars: A New Hope" to make Han Solo shoot second after Greedo) and stick to making nothing but new properties.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #4439
Beowulf

QUOTE=Ben Lahnger;673206]At this point I don't trust Spielberg or Lucas to make a decent sequel product out of anything they've made in the past. In fact, I wish they'd stop remaking everything they've done before (like digitally replacing the Fed's guns in "E.T." with walkie talkies or editing the original "Star Wars: A New Hope" to make Han Solo shoot second after Greedo) and stick to making nothing but new properties.[/quote]

I agree with you Ben, it was wrong of both Spielberg and Lucas to do what they did. The compositing of walkie talkies in the 20th anniversary version of `ET`, over the shotguns the police and feds were holding in the original 1982 version of the film, was absurd.

The same goes for Greedo shooting first in the 1997 special editions of the Star Wars trilogy, and the revised musical number in `Return Of The Jedi` *shudders*

What was the point ?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #4440
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
At this point I don't trust Spielberg or Lucas to make a decent sequel product out of anything they've made in the past. In fact, I wish they'd stop remaking everything they've done before (like digitally replacing the Fed's guns in "E.T." with walkie talkies or editing the original "Star Wars: A New Hope" to make Han Solo shoot second after Greedo) and stick to making nothing but new properties.
I mean if they must. I've been hearing that in the next one they're going to kill off Indy I'd rather him find the staff of moses or something than die in a space battle against Soviets.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #4441
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They need to leave Indiana Jones and Star Wars and E.T. and Close Encounters and Jaws alone and just tell new, different stories ... because they are too full of themselves and are fucking up the movies I love.

I'm thinking about going to see The People vs. George Lucas tomorrow. (There's a short blog post/editorial about the subject on that page, and it's good.)

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #4442
Beowulf

Shogun Assassin (US version, Directed by Robert Houston)

This is one of my all time favourite films !!!.

Shogun Assassin, known in Japan as Kozure Ōkami (子連れ狼?), is a jidaigeki film made for the British and American markets and released in 1980. In 2006 it was restored and re-released on DVD in North America by AnimEigo.

Shogun Assassin was edited and compiled from the first two films in the Lone Wolf and Cub series, using 12 minutes of the first film, Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (Kozure Ōkami: Kowokashi udekashi tsukamatsuru or Wolf with Child in Tow: Child and Expertise for Rent), and most of Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (Kozure Ōkami: Sanzu no kawa no ubaguruma or Wolf with Child in Tow: Perambulator of the River of Sanzu). Both were originally released in 1972. There were six films in all in the series. These in turn were based on the long-running 1970s manga series, Lone Wolf and Cub, created by the writer Kazuo Koike and the artist Goseki Kojima.

Source

Trailer

Classic !!!.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #4443
Ben Lahnger

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Superman: The Movie and Superman II were filmed (for the most part) at the same time. Richard Donner actually saw the two scripts as part one and part two of a longer continuous story. So all the scenes at the Daily Planet for Superman 1 and Superman 2 were filmed on the same set all at the same time, and Donner kept track of the continuity. It was only when the studio pressured Donner about the release date that he abandoned filming any footage for the second film, in order to speed up completion of Superman 1. By his own estimate, Donner had completed filming 75% of Superman 2 before he was taken off the project (due to financial, political and creative differences with the studio.)

So the studio decided to complete the second film with director Richard Lester at the helm, who is largely known for the two Beatles movies and a few Three Musketeers films. Wikipedia describes his work on Superman 2 thus:

Quote:
After the first Superman film was released in late 1978, the Salkinds went back into production on Superman II without informing Superman's director Richard Donner and placing Lester behind the camera for the completion of the film. Although Donner had shot a majority of what was planned for the film, Lester jettisoned or reshot much of the original footage in order to be credited for the picture, resulting in his receiving sole credit for directing Superman II. Gene Hackman, who played Lex Luthor, refused to return for the reshoots, and so Lester instead used a stunt double and an impersonator to loop Luthor's lines into footage of Hackman shot during Donner's tenure on Superman II.
Twenty-five years later, all of the presumed lost Donner footage from Superman 2 was found, and a reconstruction project was supervised by Donner, creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz (who penned the 1977 shooting script for Superman II, on which the Donner cut is based), and Michael Thau, an editor who worked with Donner on the 2001 DVD director's cut and restoration of the 1978 film Superman.

Quote:
Unlike many "special edition" and "director's cuts" released over the years, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is a very different film, despite both versions following roughly the same storyline. As much as half of the film contains never-before seen material filmed by Donner, including 15 minutes of Marlon Brando scenes as Superman's father Jor-El as well as numerous new Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder scenes.

Certain footage filmed by Richard Lester remains in sequences that were not shot by Donner (due to the halt in production for this film) for purposes of story cohesion. As a result, approximately 83% of the footage in the film is Donner's footage.
So, that explanation aside, what do I think? The Donner Cut is superior in every way to the original release version, keeping truer to the tone and flavor of the first film while providing some more nuanced insight into Lois and Clark's relationship.

TWO THUMBS UP!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #4444
Saya

The Great Dictator.

Its really good, it was Charlie Chaplin's first talking film. It very obviously makes fun of Hitler (only they call him Adenoid Hynkel), and our protagonist is a Jewish barber, Chaplin plays both characters.

SPOILER for the most part it is a comedy, but at the end, Hynkel and the barber get mixed up, they take Hynkel to prison and the barber is taken to give a speech, and the speech is pretty moving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvjoWOwnn4
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #4445
CptSternn

Quarantine 2. It was better than I thought it would be.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #4446
Beowulf

Cool

DR. Phibes Rises Again (USA 1972, Directed by Robert Fuest)

The moon rises at a predestined angle and awakens the sleeping Dr. Phibes three years later. To his dismay, he finds his house has been demolished and his papyrus scrolls stolen, the scrolls he needs to find the Pharoah's Tomb in Egypt, where the River of Life flows. After identifying the source of the papyrus theft, he packs and leaves for Egypt with his assistant Vulnavia, still intent upon awakening his dead wife Victoria. The parties responsible for the theft of Phibes' scrolls suffer an attrition problem as Inspector Trout chases him across the world.

Source

More info ...

Trailer

Classic !!!.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #4447
Ben Lahnger

Both Dr. Phibes movies are incredibly entertaining and campy horror. Nobody does over-the-top like Vincent Price did!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 AM   #4448
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Both Dr. Phibes movies are incredibly entertaining and campy horror. Nobody does over-the-top like Vincent Price did!

Absolutely, Ben, these films are brilliant and beautifully stylish in terms of the mis-en-scene (the art direction and cinematography are second to none). Vincent Prices performance as DR. Anton Phibes was outstanding !!!.

Ben, what do you think of `Theatre Of Blood` ?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #4449
Ben Lahnger

Actually, that's one I've never seen. I know - "for shame, for shame."

I've just added it to my Netflix instant watch queue.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4450
CarrionCorpse

Frozen. Not going to lie, I was freaking out for most of it and thought it was pretty suspense filled. Haha
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote