Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
ape descendant

Angry Makers of Southpark seriously censored... even more than usual...

Two of the latest Southpark episodes sparked a bit o' controversy.

Mohammed in a bear suit... death threats... and cencorship.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...BhQjAD9F8P6I80

Any thoughts?

As for me, I am rather annoyed at Commedy Central for being totally pussies. I think I may be rather biased though, as South Park is my favorite show.. EVER.
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

Censoring a show doesn't make you a pussy, it just means you're more interested in making money than you are interested in proving to idiots how badass you are.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
ape descendant

It DOES make you a pussy when you do it because of death threats.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
creature6

It suck !
I do agree that it 's stupid to censor a show because of it.

I found that article:http://www.pr-inside.com/south-park-...r-r1849911.htm

I also found a few responses from other people:http://answers.**********/question/i...2181006AAOXjQV
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Despanan

South Park is the most important television show ever.

Seriously, I bet schoolchildren will be reading about it in a hundred years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
MacabreHellgrave

I'll try to step on as few toes as possible, however I think the world needs to re-examine religion and make appropriate edits to all the doctrines. The bible has been around, and has had influence since the Late Empire. We're in the 21st century, things have changed. Mohammad began in the 600s AD or so. Not every nation in the world lives under a theocracy as with the Middle East, and as such, our cultures are different.

Why would the truly righteous care about the activities of the 'infidel'? If I knew, with divine assurance that I was going to be treated fairly well in the afterlife, I wouldn't judge others because I'm going to Heaven baby!
MacabreHellgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
CptSternn

I don't see what the big deal is. In season 5 the SBF's showed Mohammed a few times. Nothing happened, no threats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsR820ofEQ
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
MacabreHellgrave

Maybe they finally got the Comedy Network out in the desert holes these extremists live and train in :P

Abdul probably bought a second hand television from some place, and Jafar probably managed to steal the satellite signal the same way some suburban families do it; except it's in a desert and their generator runs on goat manure and religious fanaticism instead of electricity :P
MacabreHellgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Solumina

The extremest group that made the stick is based in the US, I believe New York City.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
KontanKarite

If they can find them, then throw them in a pit and let them rot or until they've learned their lesson.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
The extremest group that made the stick is based in the US, I believe New York City.
Jon Stewart did a great bit on this the other day.

They were born and raised in New York City. I won't try and repost what he said, but the short and skinny of it was that this group had the right to setup a website and say this all the while eating at jewish delis in NYC because they live in the US, yet they want to take away the same right of expression away from someone else and are using the same laws to try and justify their online attack. Ironic and very funny.

It's also funny that no group in the Middle East seems to even care. Either they also found it funny, or could care less what happens on South Park. I'm guessing the Taliban doesn't watch that much Comedy Central.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
JCC

First, I don't think any muslims give a shit.

Second, I can understand the reasons for censoring it beyond being scared of backlash so I'm not outraged anyway, my political correctness trumps any notion of being a maverick.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
ape descendant

Wow, your PC, trumps free expression... you suck..
Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Wow, your PC, trumps free expression... you suck..
Maybe if I lived in a ridiculous vacuum where actions don't have repercussions and 'free expression' didn't impact mainstream views of already marginalized minorities then I would be more committed to the mantra of unfettered free speech, but I'm afraid self-awareness comes with its hindrances and if I'm convinced that something is ignorant enough to merit it, I don't give a shit when it's silenced. I haven't seen the episode in question so I can't tell you whether I think that this particular episode of South Park is incendiary enough, but I can tell you that being PC is more admirable than being... 'expressive'.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Maybe if I lived in a ridiculous vacuum where actions don't have repercussions and 'free expression' didn't impact mainstream views of already marginalized minorities then I would be more committed to the mantra of unfettered free speech, but I'm afraid self-awareness comes with its hindrances and if I'm convinced that something is ignorant enough to merit it, I don't give a shit when it's silenced
I think the censored episode actually presents a more offensive and potentially harmful conception of Muslims than the uncensored one. In the past, South Park has belligerently, heedlessly mocked every race, religion and creed imaginable, with absolute irreverence and disregard for the possibility of wounded feelings. This move indicates that only Islam is so bloodthirsty and so barbarically violent that to desecrate it, as South Park has every other belief system, involves an inherent danger too great to risk.
Like you said, most Muslims probably don't give a shit. Censoring the show says "Yeah, they do, and you better keep them happy if you don't want a commercial airliner crashed into your house."
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
KontanKarite

I have to agree with Gothicus on this one 100%. I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't know the score when it comes to South Park. I'll end it there. Gothicus articulated what I was thinking well enough.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Maybe if I lived in a ridiculous vacuum where actions don't have repercussions and 'free expression' didn't impact mainstream views of already marginalized minorities then I would be more committed to the mantra of unfettered free speech.
You really can't see how you contradicted yourself just now?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
Jon Stewart did a great bit on this the other day.
I saw that too. It was spectacular. I especially liked the way he ended it, by walking to a stage on the right where a curtain raised to reveal a small gospel chorus, and while Stewart gleefully danced the chorus accompanied him in harmony, singing to the Muslim extremist group in New York, "Go Fuck Yourselves! Go Fuck Yourselves! Go Fuck Yourselves! Go Fuck Yourselves!"

It was brilliant!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
Ben Lahnger

I couldn't find a video clip of it, but I did find this MSNBC recap including video clips that shows Stewart using the same gospel chorus to tell off Fox News ... and it is tremendously gratifying! And it's hilarious! LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHoTp4xfbA

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
Ben Lahnger

Ah, I found it:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...-death-threats

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #21
CptSternn

Jon Stewart is feckin' brilliant. On yeah, I found this on Google Images. I wonder if they are going to start bombing search engines or Word Press because right now thousands of people worldwide are posting and reposting Mohammed cartoons on thousands of websites worldwide which are getting indexed by thousands of web spiders and reposted in various search engines and indexes world wide.

I mean, the irony now is that they have set of a reaction of people who really don't give a shit and will not be threatened by posting a picture on a website, so thousands are doing it. Inadventantly by threatening one person they have encouraged a generation to do the same.

I'm doing my part.

Besides - I know a few lads named Mohammed. This could be a picture of one of them. Who says its the 'prophet'? How do we know its not just Santa in an Arab suit in that picture?

*Cue Jon Stewart choir...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
Ben Lahnger

I won't even joke about doing that because the publishing of an image of the prophet Muhammad genuinely discomforts good practicing Muslims, but the whole outrage over the South Park episode is ridiculous since the show never actually depicted Muhammed at all - it was actually Santa Clause in the bear suit. Parker and Stone actually displayed more sensitivity toward the Muslim faith than they usually do with most religions.

Yep, the implied death threats certainly deserved that serenade.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Maybe if I lived in a ridiculous vacuum where actions don't have repercussions and 'free expression' didn't impact mainstream views of already marginalized minorities then I would be more committed to the mantra of unfettered free speech, but I'm afraid self-awareness comes with its hindrances and if I'm convinced that something is ignorant enough to merit it, I don't give a shit when it's silenced. I haven't seen the episode in question so I can't tell you whether I think that this particular episode of South Park is incendiary enough, but I can tell you that being PC is more admirable than being... 'expressive'.
While I certainly understand where you're comming from, it reminds me of a period in U.S. history when people were allowed to own other people. there were groups of people known as Abolitionists who were very un-pc for the time inspeaking out against slaver in the southern states. In the intrest of not offending slave owners, attempts were made and some succeded to silence them in their outcry against slavery.

Ideas should be shared, the good and the bad, every one should get their say. We should fight the ideas we don't agree with, with more speech, not with censorship.