Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
CptSternn

U.S. facing possible hearing loss epidemic: study

http://tinyurl.com/5sguoj

CHICAGO (Reuters) - One of three U.S. adults already suffers from some degree of hearing loss and the use of personal stereos and an aging population may create a hearing impairment epidemic, researchers said on Monday.

A team at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore estimated that 55 million Americans have hearing loss in one or both ears, with men, whites and the least-educated most affected.

One out of six, or 29 million adults, have some trouble discerning speech, more than previous estimates, they reported in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

"The prevalence of hearing loss in the United States is predicted to rise significantly because of an aging population and the growing use of personal listening devices. Indeed, there is concern that we may be facing an epidemic of hearing impairment," Dr. Yuri Agrawal of the Baltimore hospital wrote.

It is common for people to ignore or disavow hearing loss, the researchers said, leading to difficulty communicating that can result in productivity problems at work, depression, and less access to health care that ultimately raises the risk of sickness and death.

Hearing loss is common among people 70 and older, according to the report. But hearing loss also affected 8.5 percent of those in their 20s and 17 percent of people in their 30s. Exposure to workplace noise, firearms, and loud music were all risk factors.

Assessing health information collected from 5,700 Americans aged 20 to 69 years between 1999 and 2004 in the federal National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Agrawal and colleagues found men were twice as likely as women (21 percent versus 11 percent) to have speech-frequency hearing loss in one or both ears.

Whites were more than twice as prone to hearing loss than blacks, and those with less education were more at risk than those who completed high school or beyond.

Also dramatically increasing the chances of hearing loss were smoking, high blood pressure and diabetes.

Screening for hearing loss should begin in young adulthood, particularly for vulnerable groups, Agrawal concluded.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
CptSternn

This is a trend that is also popular all over Europe. I can't walk 10 feet without seeing someone wearing a personal MP3 player.

Makes you wonder if everyone in a few years will be totally deaf.

I SAID I WONDER IF EVERYONE IS GOING DEAF.

CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
This is why whenever I have headphones on while I may put the volume up for a little while, I quickly go back to having it on the lowest possible volume.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I almost always listen to music quietly enough that I can just hear it. I want some noise-cancelling headphones.
I think a loud vent in art class did some damage to my hearing though.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

I SAID I WONDER IF EVERYONE IS GOING DEAF.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

But yea, I've come to accept the fact that I'll go deaf before I hit 50. I routinely turn my 75 watt amp up all the way, in my bedroom.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Joker_in_the_Pack

I have noise blocking headphones, not completely, but mostly blocking. That way I don't have to bother with putting it very loud.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote