Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Can People on Gothic.net have a Real Conversation about Racism?
Yes 4 30.77%
No 6 46.15%
Maybe 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #176
Grausamkeit

Catch, you know nothing about skinheads. Shut the fuck up.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #177
Catch

I see you're wolf, but Begley is different. He'll smack you with his protest sign.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #178
*Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Haus View Post
There's barely even such a thing as oppression nowadays in the Western world,
Human trafficking and slavery is still a HUGE problem in North America. Climb out from under your rock of idyllic ignorance.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #179
Doktor Haus

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Twitch View Post
Human trafficking and slavery is still a HUGE problem in North America. Climb out from under your rock of idyllic ignorance.
Like I said, those extremes do exist and should be dealt with to the full extent of the law. But most racists are our parents and grandparents - just biased and ignorant, products of the environment in which they were raised.
For the most part, they're harmless.

I'm not trying to defend it, and no matter how many times I stress this there will always be people who jump at any opportunity to feel like defenders of civil liberty. Someone says "Guys, racism is bad!" and a million more will echo the same damn thing. Clearly we should all know this by now, so why? Fap. Fap. Fap.

But getting back onto the subject...
My point is, it's taken to the extreme far too often.
Case in point: I've realized something lately. Because I was raised in a world where racism is about the most extreme social taboo there is, I've actually become more racially conscious than I would have otherwise. I remember being nervous around minorities because I was afraid of being perceived as racist! I'm still getting over that, and that's not an easy thing for me to admit. The world was telling me that black people are different, that they demand a different kind of conduct. It was telling me not to have prejudice against minorities by having prejudice against minorities.

FYI I have nothing personal against any of you.
Doktor Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #180
Alan

You're saying this and yet you DON'T see how pervasive racism still is in society?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #181
Grausamkeit

Black people(or Latin or Asian or Indian or any other minority I've known) have never 'demanded' to be treated differently. Personally, I find the use of the 'n-word' disgusting no matter what race the person using it is. It's a word of oppression, violence and r.ape that people should never use to call anyone.

People sitting in their homes, 'harmlessly' using racial slurs raise children and grand-children who think racism is somehow okay because they are raised around it. Being raised around it doesn't make it right or okay. People who 'harmlessly' indulge in racism and bigotry at home also 'harmlessly' vote for people that make laws taking programs away from people who need them based on myths like the minority welfare mothers who live like queens with multiple children in the ghettos. They vote for people who make laws oppressing the people they dislike. There is nothing harmless about racism(or bigotry).

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #182
Saya

I live in Canada so I can't say what's normal in the states, but many people continue to be oppressed in very real ways. Most people I know hate indigenous people. Not just old people, most people. Even people my age. Economic oppression and refusal to help is often justified because they are lazy parasites who do nothing but drink and sniff gas. Even in law, our Indian Act dictates how First Nations people organize themselves and dictates who can call themselves First Nations. Until very recently, if your mother was white and your father was First Nations, you could get Indian status. If your mother was First Nations and your father was white, you are not. Even on the new changes, Indian status runs further in paternal lines than it does in maternal lines. And there's the wage gaps, here a black man might make as much as a white woman (who makes 79 cents for every dollar a white man makes), a native woman only makes 49 cents for every dollar a white man makes.

And there's the little every day things. I know a Metis girl who is insanely gorgeous and is always dressed up, she doesn't do this all the time because she enjoys it. She knows if she dresses like I do, she can't go to the mall. Security will follow her around. They never follow me. I've also met Metis people who can pass for white (Metis are mix indigenous with French settlers, so some can easily pass while others can't), and so their parents always presented them as white and wouldn't tell them that they were Metis. They remember residental schools and don't want it to happen to them. I found out very recently my own grandmother is Metis, but passes for white and never talks about it, I never knew. She's a stereotypical racist grandmother, to make it sadder.

So, considering all that, I'm okay with just feeling self conscious that I might say something that could be perceived as racist. Its white privilege, that I never have to think about the kinds of oppression other people go through unless I intentionally seek out this information, and the most I have to worry about is feeling awkward.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #183
Spooky Spencer

I think most people are afraid what's not familiar to them, whether it's race, gender, or lifestyle. What I don't understand is why people are so afraid to find out about something or someone else.

People are interesting, and the stranger, the better. Maybe that's why I like all this zombie, death, and dark stuff. Rainbows, unicorns, and Bible-thumpers all seem very small and one-sided (not to mention boring).

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #184
M.Valdemar

[quote=Saya;679711]I live in Canada...

I second this very correct opinion. ^^^
M.Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #185
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I live in Canada so I can't say what's normal in the states, but many people continue to be oppressed in very real ways. Most people I know hate indigenous people. Not just old people, most people. Even people my age. Economic oppression and refusal to help is often justified because they are lazy parasites who do nothing but drink and sniff gas. Even in law, our Indian Act dictates how First Nations people organize themselves and dictates who can call themselves First Nations. Until very recently, if your mother was white and your father was First Nations, you could get Indian status. If your mother was First Nations and your father was white, you are not. Even on the new changes, Indian status runs further in paternal lines than it does in maternal lines. And there's the wage gaps, here a black man might make as much as a white woman (who makes 79 cents for every dollar a white man makes), a native woman only makes 49 cents for every dollar a white man makes.

And there's the little every day things. I know a Metis girl who is insanely gorgeous and is always dressed up, she doesn't do this all the time because she enjoys it. She knows if she dresses like I do, she can't go to the mall. Security will follow her around. They never follow me. I've also met Metis people who can pass for white (Metis are mix indigenous with French settlers, so some can easily pass while others can't), and so their parents always presented them as white and wouldn't tell them that they were Metis. They remember residental schools and don't want it to happen to them. I found out very recently my own grandmother is Metis, but passes for white and never talks about it, I never knew. She's a stereotypical racist grandmother, to make it sadder.

So, considering all that, I'm okay with just feeling self conscious that I might say something that could be perceived as racist. Its white privilege, that I never have to think about the kinds of oppression other people go through unless I intentionally seek out this information, and the most I have to worry about is feeling awkward.
I think everyone has stereotypical grandparents. Mine is positive she isn't racist. I don't care. After a certain age people have the right to die in peace. They've already dealt with enough without having to readjust to new social norms.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #186
CIRQUEFREAK91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
Why don't you two get married and go be morons together then?

"I'm not racist. I'm just pissed because it's socially unacceptable to call black people ******s. Also, if they're offended by that then it's totes just 'cause they need to grow thicker skin and get over it, not because I'm an over privileged little white boy who's never so much as spoken to a minority so it's not like I don't understand what it's like or anything. I mean, I don't get offended when someone calls me honkey, so why should they be offended if I call them a "******"?"
Wow, what a fuckin' ignorant thing to say...
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #187
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIRQUEFREAK91 View Post
Wow, what a fuckin' ignorant thing to say...
Apparently harassing people for having lower intelligence "morons" or having an ineffective fashion sense is okay around here.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #188
Grausamkeit

Harassing people for saying stupid shit is acceptable here.

We sees them stup3dz...we B trawlin'....

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #189
Ben Lahnger

Eight pages later and this is still not a real "conversation" about racism. The ones that were already convinced it is a relevant and a social concern hold the same opinion, and those that didn't ... still don't.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote