Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #76
Doppleganger2

Most Americanizations. Also, cookies, mall, scene etc.
Doppleganger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #77
Luv2H8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger2 View Post
Most Americanizations. Also, cookies, mall, scene etc.
Indeed.

"OMG" and the word "like" when used for stupid reasons.
Luv2H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #78
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I dislike contemporary, politically-correct language such as "awareness", "fairness", "soccer moms", "centers of excellence", "advocacy", "normalcy", "terror", "harassment", "open-mindedness", "whistleblower", and all the other "in" terms that make a person sound like a brain-washed pansy.

Also, I detest the phrases, "...caught between a rock and a hard place" and "together... we can make a difference". When I hear someone say either of these, I get an overwhelming urge to hit him in the face.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #79
TheFeatheredÆtheling

The grammar Nazi within me cringes at the phrase, "epic fail". You cannot use an adjective to describe a verb; it's just terrible English. In order to avoid the possibility of sounding like a ditzy middle-schooler, use "epic failure" or "...epically fail" instead. (Or better yet, use a different phrase altogether.)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #80
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
The grammar Nazi within me cringes at the phrase, "epic fail". You cannot use an adjective to describe a verb; it's just terrible English. In order to avoid the possibility of sounding like a ditzy middle-schooler, use "epic failure" or "...epically fail" instead. (Or better yet, use a different phrase altogether.)
Thank you. I allowed that phrase to slip into my regular usage without critically assessing the grammatical inviolability of it. I needed to know this.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #81
Ben Lahnger

Crap! And then there's people who use the word "inviolability" incorrectly. Son of a bitch, I hate it when people do that! They should check to see if the usage is viable first.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #82
emeraldlonewoulf

I HATE the phrase "It is what it is." My whole department at work uses this. Of course it is what it fucking is, what else would it fucking be? Got a time machine? We can defy physics and change a few variables back there to make a different result. Then it won't be what it is. Or, we can waste another 30-40 hours re-doing the whole job, great way to blow the budget. THEN it will be something else!

Oh, all other overused politically correct phases and office jargon should die. It should die in a fire and never be heard again. Included in this list are:

Team player

Action Items

Spun up - as in to get "up to speed" on a particular subject, "We need to get John spun up on the xyz project"

"Insert racially historical adjective or previous nationality here" American - Your genetic history, nation of origin, or race are one thing. Your present nationality is another. In England, do they say "African Englishman"? Or something like "Portuguese Australian"? in Australia? If they do, I've never heard it.

Touch base - I'm not in a friggin' softball game.

Get the ball rolling - All I can think of is the group of ant sized people pushing a bowling ball.

Thinking outside the box - is there any other phrase that would more clearly denote that is the last place you are in the habit of thinking?

Contact - used as a noun to describe a person. They aren't a replacement for eyeglasses. You wouldn't try to solder an electrical connection to them.

Networking - Unless you are making one computer talk to another, you aren't "networking". You are either job hunting or trying to get a promotion or transfer. You don't give a damn about these people other than to find out what they can do for you and what their price for said service is.

Conversate - is this even really a word? really? come on, people.

Utilize - for the love of whomever, just say "use". Two extra syllables does not make you sound smarter. Promise.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #83
Saya

That was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlonewoulf View Post
I HATE the phrase "It is what it is." My whole department at work uses this. Of course it is what it fucking is, what else would it fucking be? Got a time machine? We can defy physics and change a few variables back there to make a different result. Then it won't be what it is. Or, we can waste another 30-40 hours re-doing the whole job, great way to blow the budget. THEN it will be something else!
I was thinking that the other day and was thinking about posting in this thread about it, no joke. I hate that and "well thats just how it is." Dur, then maybe we can change it?
Quote:

Contact - used as a noun to describe a person. They aren't a replacement for eyeglasses. You wouldn't try to solder an electrical connection to them.
But it can make you feel cool. "My contact in Cairo tells me..." see? You sound like a spy!

Quote:
Networking - Unless you are making one computer talk to another, you aren't "networking". You are either job hunting or trying to get a promotion or transfer. You don't give a damn about these people other than to find out what they can do for you and what their price for said service is.
People use it in a corporate setting? I use to sound as if doing nothing productive except for chatting away with people I just met was actually, in fact, productive and professional. I've heard it very legitimately used among non profit organizations too. But I'd laugh if my boss ever seriously said they got some good networking done with executives.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #84
Joker_in_the_Pack

I was going to type a long, hate filled post, but instead I call attention to wordsihate.org
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #85
Fruitbat

Actually, like oh my god, let's touch base, mate, and we can develop some networks, and make it happen. It's going to be a win-win situation.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #86
Neslyn

I don't appreciate major grammatical errors. "irregardlessly, more funnier and the objects is (or object are)" have been recent irritants for me. Also I cringe when "i" isn't capitalized.
Neslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #87
TheFeatheredÆtheling

What about "a whole nother" to mean "another"? Also, "Yur guys's..." to mean "your/yours"? The funny thing about phrases like these is that they're actually longer and more complex than their correct counterparts. I shudder when I hear them.

Trendy slang such as the word "peoples" used as a substitute for "people" should die immediately. It's not cute, it never has been, nor shall it ever be.

And have you ever met someone who constantly uses the phrase "in layman's terms"? Please... Or someone who refers to "people" as "individuals"?

The greeting so common for years in the U.S., "What's up?/'Sup?" is also annoying to me in all of its forms. Its structure and intonation make it sound like a question, and I used to think that it meant "how are you?". However, it apparently means simply "Hello/I acknowledge your presence". It amuses me that Bugs Bunny's catchphrase has become the greeting for all "cool" teenagers. You'd think that this one would have gone out of style by now.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #88
ape descendant

I always thought that "touching bases" sounded rather dirty... so co-workers would look at me quizzically when I'd burst in to fits of giggling, then refuse to explain myself.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #89
Neslyn

Quote:
What about "a whole nother" to mean "another"? Also, "Yur guys's..." to mean "your/yours"? The funny thing about phrases like these is that they're actually longer and more complex than their correct counterparts. I shudder when I hear them.

Trendy slang such as the word "peoples" used as a substitute for "people" should die immediately. It's not cute, it never has been, nor shall it ever be.
I agree. There are several things that people say that are completely unnecessary and unbelievable. "Right fastly", it's "broked" and "wroten" (When the word should be written.) are horrid things that should never exist.

Also the slang "ain't" (meaning this is not, I am not and those are not),

"cabbage" (meaning money),

"going green" (I'm sure you've already heard
this, I think I'm going to start burning tires if I hear it one more time.),

"trippin'" (meaning you're overreacting),

"poppin" (slang for I think I'm God's gift to every human alive) and

"fa sho" (meaning for sure)

should die in a blazing fire made specifically to turn idiots to ashes.

Side: note, poor punctuation; hurts...me- Inside, ]please[ don't! do it?!?!?!?!?! (Sometimes grammar and punctuation die in a post- but they should never look this bad.)
Neslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #90
Fruitbat

I hate the word "sure"

I.e. People use it in a tone that suggests they doubt what you are saying (e.g. yeah sure you really want that for someone else).

Or when you ask "Can you please file this?" and they say "Sure" - as though yes is not in their vocab.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #91
d0p3y

this thread is so goth.

I am annoyed by anyone saying anything i don't like.

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #92
OnyxBat

Sweetheart and Son
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #93
Hearts_Purple

I hate when people use netspeak in normal conversation. People should not actually be running around saying "O-M-G!!!"! That is stupid.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #94
Kione

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post

I also hate the use of 'gay' to describe things that are stupid/negative. I know not many people really do it anymore, but it still kind of irks me.

"Dude that table is totally gay lawl lets go drink some mouth wash"

Also I hate it when people call things by the wrong brand name. Either call it the generic name, or it's proper brand name. For example, Coke = Cola, Coke =/= Pepsi

I don't see why it's so hard to understand. Maybe it's just in the south or something, but when you go to a restaurant they ask you what kind of Coke you want. This can range from ice water to beer. If you drink it, it's coke.
I agree. It's irritating when people use the word 'gay' like that.

For that record, Coke is better than Pepsi and I hate when you ask for Coke at an eating establishment and the waiter/waitress asks if "Pepsi's okay?"

A friend of mine hates when people say "guesstimate". I don't know why, but she walks away in the middle of a conersation if you say that.
Kione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #95
Vasilisa

I absolutely hate it when people say whatever. That's exactly like having a conversation with someone about a controversy that is completely debatable, have them interupt right in the middle of a great fact, that could have very well ended the whole arguement, and say "Fuck You". It pisses me off.
Vasilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #96
Mandarinz

When people say "yous" as in "oh, are yous all going?" or "what are yous doing?" and when people get mixed up with much/many and did/done.
It hurts my ears.
Mandarinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #97
SomeoneNamedEmily

If something is random, it was selected from a set where everything had an equal chance of being selected. Thus, "selected at random" rather than "selected by preference, logic, or any other method that doesn't involve something akin to literally or metaphorically shutting your eyes and sticking your hand into a hat, mixing things around a little, grabbing a golf ball, and then seeing which one it is." If something is random, it is not just something you felt like saying even though it doesn't relate to our conversation. Neither is it something that appears to have come out of nowhere.

When last I checked, "towards" was not a word. "Toward," however, was.

"The reason is because" is redundant. "Because" means "for the reason that." If you say "The reason I like the movie is because it's got space marines," you're saying "The reason I like the movie is for the reason it's got space marines."

I, personally, overuse "actually."

My biggest language-related woe is that most people lack anything resembling subject-verb agreement. "Everyone" (everyone, see?) is singular. "They" is plural. If you want to use "they," you almost always should be using "he" or "she" or, if you want to be politically correct about it, "he or she." It's especially annoying when you KNOW the sex of the person you're talking about and still use "they." If you're writing about an all-girls' volleyball team, don't say, "A player's uniform is designed to let them move."

And can we please go back to only using the word "epic" to describe things that are actually, you know, epic?
SomeoneNamedEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #98
Vasilisa

I hate it when people use the word, but for some reason. I think it's because I have heard my little sister use it so much in an arguement with my mom. It irratates me to no end when people do that, and they don't even let you finish what your saying when they do. It makes me want to shoot myself.
Vasilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #99
rockonyx

I hate God.

That's capital G, not lower case, which is okay. I hate that Christian trademarked moniker for the Judeo-Christian god Yahweh. I will admit, that was a crafty marketing ploy, but it irks me to no end that Christianity has practically copyrighted the word for a male deity. A lot of Christians don't even know the name of their god, and anyone that has ever heard of Christianity immediately, and subliminally, makes the connection of "god=Christian". So, if you happen to believe in a different deity, and some bible thumper asks you, "Do you believe in god?" Your reaction is to say something like, "No, I believe in Odin," and it devalues your belief, because you disassociate your god with from word.
rockonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #100
Angelic Dissonance2

Quote:
"...caught between a rock and a hard place"
I love that song. <3 Andrew (N.H.)

"That's coolji." Ew, what a gross sounding 'word'.

And, as generally ignorant as it is to use the 'N-word' at all,

"Niggee!" is officially the most ignorant combination of syllables in the English language.
What I really despise, though, is the use of the word 'minus' to mean 'subtract', as in "I minussed this by that to get five". Worse, though, to hear "You times the trinomial coefficient by the square root of the denominator" or what the fuck ever. I HATE that shit!!!!

In R&B songs, "sexing"=having sex. >:[

What the fuck is a "shawty"?

"Stuntin'"?

"My jeans full of gwap
And they ready for Shones"??????
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote