Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #51
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey View Post
Again, you're repeatedly referencing one or two of our covers, and ignoring the hundreds of others. Why? Because you've looked at the others, you've seen the talent, and you know that if you reference those other covers your argument will lose all of its weight.
I've referenced the books that you've brought here. I've given credit where credit is due (Hard-Boiled Vampire Killers, the first 3 anthologies) and Mocked where mockery was due (Our Lady of Shadows, The Disappeared, The Gaki, That wierd Rockstar-Clock-Snake-Eye-Ring-Gun cover, John Edwards Vs. Bicep Angels etc.) I didn't mock Fangtooth's cover because it was pretty good, and instead chose to mock it's stupid title. I've been harping on "The Disappeared" alot because it's simply the worst one I've seen so far.

Are you trying to get me to go to your website and start skimming through "hundereds" of bookcovers with the intention of pointing out where you've failed? That sounds suspiciously like you're trolling me, or trying to do some sort of reverse-marketing where I draw attention to your books by pointing out and making fun of whatever wierd composition/art related eyefails I can find. Sorry dude, I have a life. I'll mock the one's you bring here for my own amusment, but if you want me to do this on any kind of a scale, I'd better be drawing a paycheck. (I'm a pusher, the first taste is free, then you have to pay)

Honestly, I'm more concerned that you seem to agree with the fact that the covers I've singled out are indeed terrible. If you agree that some of these are horrible covers, then why did you publish them? I mean there can't be much money in the small-press-independent-horror publishing industry, which means you're doing it for the love of the art, and if you're doing it for that, why shoot yourself in the foot with horrible cover art? Why waste all that time an effort on something which is clearly sub-par and won't sell?

Quote:
Yes, I've been using Photoshop for eight years. The line drawings (hand drawn) were added in as a layer in your Afterall cover. Yes, I could re-create that cover in five minutes. Yes, it's garbage.
Okay, Do it. Time yourself. I'm waiting.

Bare in MIND however, that once again, I've been talking about the composition, not the content. I'm sure more time was spent on "The Gaki" than Afterall, but Afterall is still a better cover. You guy probably spends more time on his art than Jackson Pollock spent on some of his drip paintings Yet Pollock's work is regarded as far more artistically significant than the aformentioned "Gaki" or anything else done by your artist. Time Spent /= A powerful image, nor does compexity. There are plenty of artists who spend more time on something that really isn't very good. Even if you CAN recreate the line art, scan it, layer it, compose it and edit it all in five minutes (You can't) that won't mean that Afterall's postcard art isn't a better, more dynamic image than anything you've brought to the table so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #52
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up

Fifteen Minutes by William Ollie, second novel in our Dark Thriller series is now available for preorder. Read more about the new novel here: http://www.darkregions.com/products/...iam-Ollie.html
Chris_Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #53
Despanan

Quote:
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #54
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse now available!

Hey DoubleK, we won the HWA 2010 Specialty Press Award, just to let you know

Oh, and I have a little present for you....

Dark Regions Press is proud to announce that Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse is now available for preorder on our website in both a leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Lettered Hardcover with slipcase edition and a 200 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover edition! The book comes with an introduction by legendary author Joe R. Lansdale and cover artwork by Bram Stoker award winning artist Vincent Chong!

PREORDER SPECIAL: Order the 200 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover while its still in the preorder stage and get it at $5 off the cover price!

Click here to read more about or order Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse!

Multiplex Fandango is subtitled "A Weston Ochse Reader" for good reason. This collection contains a comprehensive representation of short fiction and novellas by the Bram Stoker award winner and Pushcart Prize nominee, including his recent powerful Stoker finalist short story, "The Crossing Of Aldo Rey" and his brilliant Stoker finalist novella, Redemption Roadshow, as well as acclaimed favorites, "Catfish Gods" and "Big Rock Candy Mountain". Also included in this omnibus volume of sixteen short stories and novellas are six original new works of short fiction written especially for this collection including such future classics as "Tarzan Doesn't Live Here Anymore", "Low Men Weeping", and the stunning, "City Of Joy".

“Multiplex Fandango. Say it. Multi-plex Fan-dan-go. It's beautiful, isn't it? Just rolls off the tongue. It’s almost as beautiful and satisfying as the book you may now be holding in your hands, or reading a review about. What we’re seeing here is quite possibly the most comfortable, relaxed, and expert takeover that the horror genre has ever seen. With Multiplex Fandango, Weston Ochse has created an incredible collection, and has given the reader one of the smoothest, most satisfying reads they could ever come across. To drive the point home, Joe Landsdale says in the intro that "This is a book that could almost have been written for me.", but I disagree - this book was written for anyone looking for imaginative, intelligent, and thoroughly awe-inspiring, but strangely uplifting scares that force the reader to think more than react." - Paperback Horror

"This is a book that could almost have been written for me."
- Joe R. Lansdale on Multiplex Fandango

"Multiplex Fandango is a smooth mix of the old school pulp horror vibe and new storytelling, elegantly crafted for the modern reader.” - Rain Graves

“Weston Ochse is to horror what Bradbury is to science fiction -- an artist whose craft, stories and voice are so distinct and mesmerizing that you can't help but be enthralled. Multiplex Fandango is yet another in a long line of exclamation points that reminds us of that fact.” - Dani Kollin

"The truth of the matter is that for all the drive-in movie references, what Weston Ochse has really created in Multiplex Fandango is a travelogue. Acting as narrator and guide, Weston takes you on a trip to places familiar and obscure—New Orleans, the Sonoran desert, Mexico’s Pacific coast, and the dark, impenetrable reaches of the soul. He shows off sights that chill the blood, and as with any good trip, the things seen and experienced along the way will stay with you for a lifetime." - Jeff Mariotte

"Ochse succeeds in creating a complex plot that casts a brutal overwhelming spell."
- Tom Piccirilli on Scarecrow Gods

"Brilliantly rendered. What was so impressive about the piece was that I did not doubt the incredible heroism of the protagonist... nor his motivation.
- Andrew Vachss on "Family Man"

"This is better than the hype. I don't want to go overboard, but stories in the book will remind many readers of the good stuff by Edward Lee and Joe Lansdale and probably Bill Faulkner. There were times, reading some of them, when I was put in mind of Flannery O'Connor." - Richard Laymon on Scary Rednecks and Other Inbred Horrors

"Vampire Outlaw of the Milky Way is what would happen if Ray Bradbury and Lin Carter got together to write a space opera. Only Weston Ochse could write something like this. In lesser hands, it would fall apart. Weston is one of the best authors of our generation."
- Brian Keene on Vampire Outlaw of the Milky Way

"Make way for a new powerhouse on the block. Hard work and formidable skills have already shot-gunned Ochse to the front of the genre's exciting new pack of writers. With creative brawn, brains, and balls, the guy's locked, loaded, and switched to full-auto, blazing away with his unique and original brand of modern horror, one of the few new writers, I'd say, who will help re-define the field for the future."
- Edward Lee on Weston Ochse

Click here to read more about or order Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse!

About the author

Weston Ochse is an Arizona-based author of fiction and non fiction. His work has appeared in comic books, novels, magazines, anthologies and the bathroom stalls of Third World brothels. When not writing, he can be found in the yellow pages under Super Hero for Rent. If you want to meet him, search somewhere near the water where he'll be basking in the sun, racing tarantula wasps or watching the sky for signs of intelligent life.

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932
http://www.DarkRegions.com

Contact us directly with any questions or comments at:
support AT darkregionspress.com
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #55
Murder.Of.Crows

That cover isn't half bad, almost would read it. If it weren't for it being a collection of short stories that are most probably crap. Too many times have I picked up one of these "award winning" collection of mini stories and found them to be nothing more than terrible unimaginative/unoriginal word vomit slapped together in hopes of making a quick buck.

Desp, as i agree with you that Stephen King is a shitty and overrated author, I have to disagree that Stephanie Meyer is one as well. Granted she is grossly overrated, but she isn't too terrible of an author.

Neil Gaiman is fucking awesome.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #56
Despanan

Quote:
See? There you go. That's how you do it! That's actually passable. The emphasis is actually ON the title, and the tiny text below makes me want to take a closer look. This could be an actual poster, that was sold to boring people.

I am so fucking proud of you son.

Now you just need to figure out how to get an author photo that doesn't look like you've ambushed them at nine in the morning and they're slightly embarrassed because they haven't had their coffee and aren't wearing pants.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #57
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post

Hahaha, quite the humorous one, now aren't you.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #58
Despanan

They should pay me.
Quote:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #59
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Despanan is the only thing shoring up this shitwreck of a publishing company. He truly is a humanitarian at heart.
He truly is.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #60
Murder.Of.Crows

I don't think that tittle quite fits him. He is more like Loki. Actually that character probably suits you better. But HaSatan and Desp. I don't see the similarities.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #61
Chris_Morey

Thanks for the continued support guys, it means a lot. I'm also glad you're being objective, without passing judgement on books you haven't read.

Desp I would hope you like that cover, it's by Vincent Chong, winner of the Bram Stoker award three years in a row for Best Artist.

Please continue to reply to this topic, ensuring it's bumped constantly. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #62
Despanan

Quote:
Please continue to reply to this topic, ensuring it's bumped constantly. Thank you.
You're welcome. Like I've been saying you people really should pay me.

I DO SO MUCH FOR YOU.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #63
Alan

Quote:
Thanks for the continued support guys, it means a lot. I'm also glad you're being objective, without passing judgement on books you haven't read.
I guess I should go to Barnes&Nobles and start reading every book in order to its proximity to the door before I reach the fiction section, right? Otherwise who am I to say I'm entitled to pass them by if I haven't actually read them?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #64
Chris_Morey

All I'm saying is that it makes complete sense to call books bad that you haven't even read, doesn't it? For example:

Boy, the Game of Thrones TV show is great, but the book series by George R. R. Martin is trash, I would suspect.

Gee, that feels great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I guess I should go to Barnes&Nobles and start reading every book in order to its proximity to the door before I reach the fiction section, right? Otherwise who am I to say I'm entitled to pass them by if I haven't actually read them?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #65
Despanan

Not to get us off topic here, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Desp, as i agree with you that Stephen King is a shitty and overrated author, I have to disagree that Stephanie Meyer is one as well. Granted she is grossly overrated, but she isn't too terrible of an author.
Are you HIGH? I mean Stephen King may suck, but Stephanie Meyer? The man is LEAGUES beyond her, both in writing skill and story-telling ability.

I could at least get a few chapters into Cell. I nearly vomited about 5 pages into Twilight, and eventually had to put it down out of sheer boredom.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #66
Despanan

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it makes complete sense to call books bad that you haven't even read, doesn't it? For example:

Boy, the Game of Thrones TV show is great, but the book series by George R. R. Martin is trash, I would suspect.

Gee, that feels great!
But if the show TV show sucked, could one not reasonably infer that the books were crap?

I mean, of course one can't judge a book by it's cover, but if the cover is horrible and the author looks slightly embarrassed at the idea of being photographed, and it has a terrible title like "Seventeen Seconds" or "Fangtooth" and the publishing company in question has their vice-president spamming it on a Goth forum and some ridiculously intelligent and staggeringly handsome bloke is mocking circles around said vice-president...one can make a reasonable inference as to the quality contained within the pages. We can't say objectively that something is bad, but you don't have to drink poison to know it's poison if it says so on the label ya dig?

Just Sayin'...
Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #67
Chris_Morey

People who say Stephen King sucks generally fall into two categories:

1. Contrarians ("Oh, that something that I like is popular now, that means I'll stop liking it.")
2. Literary snobs ("There's not enough purple prose in this writing, and the author isn't using a thesaurus to find archaic adjectives in every sentence!")

King rose to the forefront in fiction because of his skill. There were plenty of other horror authors during the time of his rise that didn't see anything close to a similar ascent.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #68
Murder.Of.Crows

I must fall into a third category then. I hate Stephen King because he is a sell out author that pumps out bullshit and only makes the money he does because of his name. His stories are completely ridiculous as well. Now there are a few of which I have enjoyed, but 3 out of his, what, 2,000 books is a bad statistic. He irritates me because he gets away with it.

Stephanie Meyer, yes she sucks , but I seem to want to defend her. It's like Justin Beibier, I loathe his music, and I don't really care for him personally, but the kid has talent and I give him that. That talent his squandered away however and that is... well irritating. Not that I am saying that Stephen King does not have talent. Yes, he is leagues above Meyer, but fuck, he pisses me off.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #69
Chris_Morey

The problem is, Stephanie Meyer DOESN'T have talent. She sucked all the vampire teenie bopper girls into literature successfully, I give her that. Somehow she pulled them away from their Jonas Brothers to read books, it's an admirable feat.

I only had to read one of her books to realize she has a severe lack of skill in prose and story-telling ability. It's truly written for teenage girls, which is a great economic group to go after, mind you.

Stephen King pumps out bullshit? I would wager that you haven't read hardly any of his recent work, and are just making assumptions. Many of his newer works (Bag of Bones, Duma Key to name but a couple) are actually quite good.

I read almost everything King puts out (along with many other authors) and he's certainly not pumping out "bullshit." Yeah, he's a very prolific writer. Something tells me if you were paid as much as he is to write you would be sitting your ass in front of the computer for four hours a day yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I must fall into a third category then. I hate Stephen King because he is a sell out author that pumps out bullshit and only makes the money he does because of his name. His stories are completely ridiculous as well. Now there are a few of which I have enjoyed, but 3 out of his, what, 2,000 books is a bad statistic. He irritates me because he gets away with it.

Stephanie Meyer, yes she sucks , but I seem to want to defend her. It's like Justin Beibier, I loathe his music, and I don't really care for him personally, but the kid has talent and I give him that. That talent his squandered away however and that is... well irritating. Not that I am saying that Stephen King does not have talent. Yes, he is leagues above Meyer, but fuck, he pisses me off.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #70
MissCheyenne

Speaking as someone who has also read almost everything Stephen King has put out, both old and more recent works, some of it IS bullshit. Thing I've found with him is that when he's good, he's really really good but when he isn't, the results are awful.As golden as that goose might be, not all it's eggs are made of gold.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #71
Despanan

Quote:
People who say Stephen King sucks generally fall into two categories:

1. Contrarians ("Oh, that something that I like is popular now, that means I'll stop liking it.")
2. Literary snobs ("There's not enough purple prose in this writing, and the author isn't using a thesaurus to find archaic adjectives in every sentence!")

King rose to the forefront in fiction because of his skill. There were plenty of other horror authors during the time of his rise that didn't see anything close to a similar ascent.
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!! WE ARE ACTUALLY HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT LITERATURE! IN THE LITERATURE FORUM!!!

SQUEEEE!

I reiterate: I am SO fucking proud of you Chris_Morey. You have come such a long way.

Anyway, on Stephen King:

Once again: I am not a fan. From what I have read (granted not much) I find his prose abominable, and his characters cliche'd and uninteresting. Granted I'm basing this opinion off one book (Cell) and the various Stephen King movies I've seen (IT, Rose Red, The shining remake, that vampire one, Pet Cemetery, The Langoliers etc.)

There are some good ideas he's working with but more often than not in my experience MAN OH MAN is the execution off.

This is not to say that I wouldn't give his work another chance, given the opportunity. With a body of work as large as his there are bound to be some gems.

That Said Chris, you're right on the money about Meyer, the woman has no talent. I'm not sure how she managed to strike such a chord with popular culture, perhaps simple luck? right place and time? (coupled with some awesome cover-art and a slick marketing campaign).

My roommate keeps telling me that I need to just write some overly simplistic/formulaic bullshit to appeal to the average idiot, but I'm not convinced. My opinion on the matter is that Marketing is what made twilight what it was, and luck got it published in the first place. Shit without luck and marketing is just shit at the end of the day.

Your opinion as an industry professional?
Quote:
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #72
Murder.Of.Crows

I think it had to do with Harry Potter coming to an end in it's series and people trying to fit a replacement. Twilight was simply enough written that any 14 year girl could pick it up and read it, educated or not. Thus it's popularity. I agree that the books suck, but have a hard time saying, for some unknown reason I cant put my finger on.

And yes, we are talking literature in the literature forum. This makes me so freaking happy, that and Chris Morey isn't just ad service anymore, he's actually giving his opinions and interacting with the natives. Desp. you are my hero for making this happen.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #73
Despanan

Trawlin' for Justice.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #74
Chris_Morey

Desp, if you've only read Cell then it's completely understandable how you formed your opinion on King. Go read The Shining, Salem's Lot and The Stand and you'll come to find he writes some of the best characters in post-modern fiction.

Sure, his ideas aren't always the most original, nor does he write in an overly complicated, literary manner, he writes popular fiction. Whether or not you're more of a reader of literature or pop fiction, that doesn't change what King is best at. There are few authors who can create such well developed, three-dimensional characters as King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne
Speaking as someone who has also read almost everything Stephen King has put out, both old and more recent works, some of it IS bullshit. Thing I've found with him is that when he's good, he's really really good but when he isn't, the results are awful.As golden as that goose might be, not all it's eggs are made of gold.
MissCheyenne, not all of his work is masterful, but his ratio of good work to bad work has been pretty solid recently. There was a time when his work was sagging (shortly after the accident) but since then things have picked up. I'd like to know which of his recent work you would consider "pumped out bullshit."
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #75
Despanan

There you go, that's how you do it!

If I find the time, I'll pick up a title or two. I've got 2 other books on my reading list and I've been so damn busy lately, I haven't really had time for novels.

Maybe I'll try out that E-book reader I got for christmas...

edit: oh btw, grats on the award win. I forgot to say that earlier.
Quote: