Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Eclipsing the Son

Appaloosa- A rough rambling review

I saw this the other day on a whim because I'm a fan of westerns and nothing else seemed worth going to.

I wasn't really expecting much and really wasn't looking for it to be anything special. I still was looking at 3:10 to Yuma as the best western film at the time and definitely did not expect Appaloosa to measure up. I will let you know I was very impressed.

Without giving away too much, the film opens with a sheriff showing up at a middle of nowhere dude ranch to arrest a couple of ****/murder suspects and is immediately dispatched by the quickdrawing leader of the group. It's a dramatic and startlingly well directed opening. This is followed by Ed Harris showing up, becoming the new Marshall of the town and generally being a manly badass.

The protagonists of the story are believable and very human. In one scene the so far infallible Harris is drinking at a bar and becomes uncomfortable while being flirted with and, when stumped in his conversation from too much whiskey, decides to whale on a fellow patron to let off steam. It's not in a humorous way though. You find out later how deep the characters are and they really grow on you.

The story is great too. There are unexpected twists, enemies become friends and then enemies again. The acting is the best part and the relationships between the characters is believable and a joy to watch.

I came away from the experience immediately feeling that the movie was on par if not better than 3:10 to Yuma and I highly recommend it over Twilight.

Thankyou for reading.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Eclipsing the Son

Oh yeah and Rene Zelwigger looks OLD AS FUCK in it.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote