Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Question Hot Topic/LA Girl cosmetics: Worth the money?

My friend gave me a Hot Topic giftcard worth a considerable sum of cash. I also happen to need some eyeliner. Killing two birds with one stone is oh-so-Goth.

My question:

Has anyone here tried Hot Topic eyeliner? Specifically...

Wing Tip eyeliner
the chubby crayon-style eyeliner
Black smudge pot eyeliner

And also, from the LA Girl line sold at Hot Topic:

LA Girl Extreme Bold/Mark My Eyes liquid eyeliner, it's a marker sorta
L.A. Girl Black Fine Line Eyeliner, it's also a marker

I have seen good reviews on the LA Girl items, however, nobody seems to work with the Hot Topic brand stuff.

I'm specifically wondering if the Wing Tip is liquid or pencil, because the pictures make it hard to tell whether it is a felt tip or a pencil tip.
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Bloodflowers

Never used any of those eyeliners. A year or so ago I mentioned wanting some red eyeshadow and a friend bought me some from Hot Topic as a present (I'm pretty sure it was Hot Topic's own line). Anyways, I wasn't impressed with the quality of it at all.
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Raveanya

I tried the L.A. Girl fine. It really sucked. -.-; Sure it makes a thin line but it's like coloring your eyelid with washable marker. It even has a felt tip. It smudges, it comes off whenever you sweat, cry, or have contact with water at all. If you get anything (as far as liquid goes) go with Wet N' Wild. I bought it actually at Party City and it was terrific! It sometimes chipped a little at the ends but it was barely noticeable. Also, if you do end up getting L.A. girl, try putting some black eye shadow on top, it doesn't completely help it but I've found a small coating of eye shadow over eyeliner helps it stick. Also, if your not one of those who puts on shadow to your brow than make sure you get some foundation between your eye and your eyebrow, I've found it helps a lot too.

~ Rave
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
Never used any of those eyeliners. A year or so ago I mentioned wanting some red eyeshadow and a friend bought me some from Hot Topic as a present (I'm pretty sure it was Hot Topic's own line). Anyways, I wasn't impressed with the quality of it at all.
Depressing. I've been meaning to pick up some red shadow for experiment's sake but I suppose if you didn't like it I'll havr to order online. What about it wasn't good?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Depressing. I've been meaning to pick up some red shadow for experiment's sake but I suppose if you didn't like it I'll havr to order online. What about it wasn't good?
The quality of it was really poor. It looked like an intense dark red in the package but when I applied it it went on like a translucent magenta colour. I had to put several layers of it on just to get it to look red... and worst of all it stained my skin! I don't use soap and water to remove makeup, I use products designed to take off eye makeup, but even that stuff couldn't get it all off and my super fair skin had a pinkish tinge to it for about a day or so.

I still want some red eyeshadow, I think I'm going to place an order with Medusa's Makeup (http://www.medusasmakeup.com). They have several red eyeshadows and I've heard the quality is good.
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
CarrionCorpse

I use the LA Girl 'marker-type' eyeliner. It's okay, but you need to go over it a few times to make a nice, dark line. I used it to draw on my eyebrows once and it smudged like hell, but now I use it to define the lines on the edge of my eyeshadow and it works great. It would probably work just fine if you were using it to just do a line on the top or bottom of your lids, but anything else you should find another eyeliner for.
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
freakinsheena

OMG girl L.A. Girl Black Fine Line is hell. Hear hear it's fine, but damn hell it's no good. Just a little sweat and it'll make you look like a gangraped-copycat of Lady Gaga.

Eeeeeew to the highest level.
freakinsheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
CarrionCorpse

haha. Lady Gaga. I just use whatever. It seems to work okay for me sometimes. Mostly I don't use it though. I've got a mass stash of eyeliner.
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
freakinsheena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionCorpse View Post
haha. Lady Gaga. I just use whatever. It seems to work okay for me sometimes. Mostly I don't use it though. I've got a mass stash of eyeliner.
Me too. I just said that because right now, I still got my options. Sooooo many pretty options.
freakinsheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
michel-penny

there are plenty of thers in market that its very difficult to choose which one is best
michel-penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
drewsilla

The only thing I've ever bought make-up wise from there that I DIDN'T hate with a passion was nail polish.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Skye Jules

Try Medusa's Eye Make-up, because they have a lot of high shadows with some high wattage that likethe color in the container when you apply it.
Skye Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
CarmillaStyria

I recently tried a good part of the line of Tokidoki at sephora and it's awesome + the packaging is very cute...

They have an pencil liquid that I really adore.
CarmillaStyria is offline   Reply With Quote