Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #51
Raptor

Wow...

(Lighting mod)

Some of these really do look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Acid rain, a much higher radiation presence, realistic food, water, and sleep needs (as well as appropriate effects from alcohol, drugs, stims, food, ect), fucking ZOMBIE HORDES
Could you tell me the names of those mods please? I didn't see them when I had a quick look at a few of the top 100. If they're around for New Vegas too then those are the sort I think I would go for. You've sold me on the PC version.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #52
Versus

If you liked that, check out this Silent Hill theme.

But sure. I'll shoot you the Fallout 3 mods I mentioned.

Acid Rain for Fallout 3. Here's a great video of it.

Deadly Radiation.

Hunger Thirst Based Regeneration

As far as zombies, there are a lot of ghoul/zombie mods. Heck, I saw one that turned you into a non-feral ghoul if you took too much radiations. I'd start with MMM, one of the better creature series of mods. It changes their respawn rate, varies their stats which are reflected visually by different sizes and textures, as well as adds difficulty by increasing numbers. There are also new monsters. They mostly kill you.

As for New Vegas, that's still in the works. Texture/Mesh replacement mods from Fallout 3 still work, so if you wanted naked ladies or more aesthetically appealing hair/clothing, all you have to do is find the appropriate one from 3 and download it. That's assuming that it's already in the game, though. However, for more advanced mods like the ones I posted earlier, you either have to wait until a new .esm file is released for that mod or make it yourself with the G.E.C.K.

Oh. This one is my favorite. It allows you to equip different accessories in combination to add to the otherwise stale vanilla clothing. They generally look really good with the Type V Female Body and Armor Replacer. The Mad Max/ Road Warrior look was really easy to pull off with the shotgun thong, leather armor, and shoulder pad.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #53
Raptor

Cheers for that. Although I'm not going to buy Fallout 3 a second time so I'll have to wait for someone to do those again for New Vegas. The Silent Hill one looks great.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #54
Alan

I remembered you were talking about this game and bought it. God damn expensive. You fuckers better know what you're talking about.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #55
KontanKarite

God fucking damn it, I want this game. Fuck!

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #56
CptSternn

Just moved to level 3 - heading out into the Mojave today!
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #57
Vivisection

Finally finished New Vegas today. It's good but it never really captured my imagination like the original FO3 did. I missed the feeling of exploring an enormous city, seeing Brotherhood of Steel columns paroling their territory and the slave trade etc.

If I was only going to get one then it'd definitely be the original F03 plus broken steel and Point Lookout. Point Lookout was great.
Vivisection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #58
vindicatedxjin

I stilllllllllllllllllll haven't bought it. I NEED it.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #59
vindicatedxjin

WUSSUP? My brother has it...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #60
KontanKarite

Kill it with FIRE!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #61
Raptor

If you have the PC version there's a mod that means during speech options you can see more than three or whatever lines at once. Doesn't sound like much but it feels much better to me. There also one that supposedly improves the game performance and it seems to be working. Might be one to try if NV is running badly on your computer.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #62
vindicatedxjin

I don't have it at all yet, my brother got it a few weeks ago and is already half way through... I'm going to beg him to let me borrow it once he beats it. He has it for PS3. I kinda wish I had a good enough computer to get it on PC, because I find the mods to be pretty cool.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #63
Raptor

Those awesome mods that Versus was talking about aren't out for NV yet, or at least they weren't a week or two ago, but I'm sure someone will do it soon.

I've been kind of busy so I haven't played much yet. Energy weapons are way less common than in FO3 so it's all about the conventional firearms. And it looks like the faction system will stop you completing all the quests in one play through so I'm probably going to end up wasting a lot of time at some point.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #64
Alan

Just finished the game. I literally didn't go out on Friday but at least I'm free for tomorrow.
I finished the game through the ending I thought was best, but I feel bad I had to make sacrifices and I couldn't defend many people I wish would have stayed alive. I assume these tough choices are a staple of Fallout games, if so please tell me they are, and if not, HOLY SHIT I'M SO GLAD I BOUGHT THIS ONE.
Even the best ending is bleak but I'm ok with the decisions I made. I hope several of you start buying it to discuss the different paths we took. I'm pretty sure they'll say a lot about the type of people we are.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #65
Versus

Alan, those tough choices you were talking about are a staple, but also aren't at the same time. You have to understand that Bethesda didn't start Fallout, and that New Vegas and Fallout 3 are kind of their homage to the previous titles. I love their versions of it, but they're not exactly the same.

For example, Fallout 1 and 2 were essentially like Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic games in that they were pretty much two dimensional in terms of moral alignment. Fallout 3 and New Vegas greatly expand upon the gray areas of your decisions. It's hard not to see from each faction's perspective in New Vegas, especially.

Really, though, Fallout has never been about a player's decisions in that respect. I think their flavor comes in the presentation. Try not to look at your ending, but the things that brought you there.

Quote:
I hope several of you start buying it to discuss the different paths we took. I'm pretty sure they'll say a lot about the type of people we are.
As far as New Vegas, I really like that it has a greater western influence. I was able to live my Spaghetti Western fantasy very briefly. Clint Eastwood's "The Man With No Name" remains one of my favorite personalities.

Also, Tailor Maid for New Vegas has been released. I'll be running through as Mad Max next time.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #66
KontanKarite

I already know what kind of character I'd play. I'd play the same as I play in FO3. No allegiance to anyone, a killer out of convenience, and a slayer of slavers. I'm pretty much Chaotic Neutral/Evil. It's rare that I do anything good in the game and it's inevitable that trying to play an actual bad guy gets a bit bland. So in bouts of boredom, I pretty much pick a town and go to war with them.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #67
Versus

Kontan, that's one of the things I liked a lot about New Vegas. I notice a lot of games that try to give you a choice don't really give you choice. Either "Do the obviously good thing, or don't complete that part of the game." To complete quests in New Vegas, I was often given the option for the best kind of violence: vigilante justice. I love sticking it to people, but there is something amazing about sticking it to people who deserve it.

I had a mile long grin after finishing "Heartache by the numbers." I kind of screwed my opportunity for other quests, but FUCK IT. There is something magical about scenes like the end of the movie "Unforgiven."

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #68
KontanKarite

Yeah. I'm the scourge of Paradise Falls. Megaton leaves a wonderful mushroom cloud. Tenpenny Tower... genocide. Rivet City... I go to war with them out of boredom.

Basically, I tend to play like a sociopath. I'm indifferent to the struggles in the wasteland. I'll slaughter the slavers at the Lincoln Memorial and then head over to the Temple Of The Union to kill a whole lot of ex slaves.

Why complete a quest for 300 xp when I can kill 4 guys and get the same amount of xp in a fraction of the time? My characters really have no compassion at all.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #69
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post

Why complete a quest for 300 xp when I can kill 4 guys and get the same amount of xp in a fraction of the time? My characters really have no compassion at all.
Because the Handale (sp?) Cannibals in Fallout 3 would be a lot less funny if you didn't talk to all of them before killing them. It's kind of like burning a book, to me.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #70
KontanKarite

Okay. This game is vastly different from FO3. First impression: It's hard. DAMNED HARD.

Also, it's damned near impossible to be a sociopath lunatic in this game. They've geared it that you as a person NEEDS society in one form or another. Medicine and radaway is rare, so it's foolish to squick doctors for the fun of it. For better or for worse, you can't be anti-social in this game at all without really suffering for it. The monsters out there are far too tough to go it alone, even in the face of community.

I sort of like this and I sort of don't like this. It's a brilliant improvement to the game. It makes it more challenging, but it does suck that just starting the game and killing everyone in sight is pretty much a fool's errand. A bit frustrating, but eventually I'll figure out a way to be incredibly vile in this game. I suppose my best course of action is to not mess with goodsprings at all until I know that I don't need that doctor in the slightest.

Great game so far.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #71
Versus

I didn't think it was too bad, but I'm sure it's because I followed the game's yellow brick road at first. The game's encounters aren't scaled to your level anymore (But vendors are? What the fuck?), so it's entirely possible to get merced by something you aren't ready for yet. I remember when I first deviated from that bread crumb path, it was to go to New Vegas on a whim. I took the direct route heading north and got fucking mauled by death claws.

Oh. Quick edit. You can make stimpacks and doctor's bags and such with the appropriate skill. The game's crafting isn't amazing, but it's something.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #72
KontanKarite

I've also noticed that it's folly to try to be awesome at two combat skills right away. You'll be incredibly nerfed because of the other skills that are totally essential to survival such as medicine, repair, and lockpicking.

I've figured it's in a person's best interest to have ONE combat skill to be very good with and then focus on all things survival.

New Vegas is incredibly hard to powergame with. I think that's good and bad. But beyond the middle of the desert, there seems to be this huge wall of fuck off enemies that you'd never make it past.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #73
Versus

Quote:
I've also noticed that it's folly to try to be awesome at two combat skills right away. You'll be incredibly nerfed because of the other skills that are totally essential to survival such as medicine, repair, and lockpicking.

I've figured it's in a person's best interest to have ONE combat skill to be very good with and then focus on all things survival.

New Vegas is incredibly hard to powergame with. I think that's good and bad. But beyond the middle of the desert, there seems to be this huge wall of fuck off enemies that you'd never make it past.
I know what you're talking about. Something I found that helps a bit is that the new ally NPCs scale with you, so they suck less in combat... or at least offer the option to approach it with different combat skills.

Something I noticed is that certain combat skills aren't really exclusively useful to different parts of the game, like FO3. I think each of them is well represented with their currently available weapons as your character levels up.

And I still don't know why you think lock picking is essential. >_> It's frustrating to not know what's behind something, but I promise that it won't matter in the long run. That's what's important when being a munchkin, right?

Also. "Fuck off enemies" made me laugh. That describes them perfectly. I think the first one is like a "Beware of dog" sign, and then the others are just there to keep you out by killing you.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #74
KontanKarite

Well... you need access to shit, man and that's either science or lockpicking. I'm willing to bet that science is more beneficial in the long run.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #75
Versus

Quote:
Well... you need access to shit, man and that's either science or lockpicking. I'm willing to bet that science is more beneficial in the long run.
Well, science is present in a more dialogue options then locking picking, is used for some of the games crafting, but it seems like in NV it's not used as much for opening stuff as lock picking is.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I just cheat. Have you ever played Dragon Age: Origins? It was infuriating to me that, in order to open any chest I see, I either had to be a rogue, or have one of the two most annoying characters in the game in my party. It wasn't a big deal that time I played through as a rogue... but I have a difficult time explaining how much I hate those two. So now I just cheat to open it. I justify it in that I won't get the experience points for opening/hacking.

Have you ever played the two Knight of the Old Republic games? Those are ideal to power game in because how you play the game doesn't determine what happens.

It's the reason why I don't get sneak as a skill anymore. It's not because I don't LIKE sneaking, it's because in most game I get more experience killing everything than sneaking through. That's also the reason I prefer objective based RPGs, like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You only get experience for completion, not what you do along the way.

-Breathin, Tupac.