Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
Ko Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
lol this is so hilarious!!!
[IMG]http://images.*********************.com/images/f/fa/Second.jpg[/IMG]
Ko Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
allyssa

I was recently told that I am a vampire freak and not truly a goth....I do not define myself as goth or not goth, simply an individual who is morbid, dark and intimidatingly scary...I really do not believe you can be the judge of another's soul or identity just by looking at their fashion. in the pages of their lives they may be completely dark and "goth" without ever identifying with the subculture. As well, I do not care if you are goth or not as long as you are an interesting individual. thank you for your dogma and overly simplistic watered down version of what goth truly is, maybe you aren't really a goth?
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #28
creature6

what the hell is all that about.
non sense all the way trough.
WHAT?????????????
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
Ophelia's Snorkel

Wow, am I ever glad I read this. I feel so enlightened. Before today, I never knew what "goth" was all about or how I ever got registered on a goth forum.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #30
WarlockSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
I see your "advice" and raise you this: http://anon.razorwire.com/real-goth-faq/
teehee, that was excellent

Good advice, but I nearly developed a fear that I was one of the nerds. Then I realised I didn't weigh 300 pounds, but a mere 120, and I have more social skills than the aforementioned nerds . . . .hopefully.
WarlockSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
Sendo

Quote:
I see your "advice" and raise you this: http://anon.razorwire.com/real-goth-faq/
Goodness that site has a lot of nonsense in it amongst the good advice.
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #32
vindicatedxjin

Clown shoes.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #33
Ophelia's Snorkel

I hadn't read that FAQ in ages. I'd forgotten how much it made me laugh. It's the kind of thing I wish came in stick form so I could beat the babybats over the head with it. Okay, maybe nerf form.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #34
SiouxsiePernova

I love the fact that they mention The Horatii in the F.A.Q.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cinder View Post
Fashion is a huge part of the gothic subculture. You cannot just say you're a goth if you are a normal person that just wears black T-shirts sometimes. Even if you 'act Goth' you still must dress like one and have other fashion necessities to be distinguished from the others as a Goth.
Ahh, how about...No. In my opinion, Goth is a Musical Subculture based around a genre of Music that developed out of the Punk scene in England in the late 1970's. It is a person's interest in the music of the subculture that makes them a 'Goth'. Not what clothes they wear, how they do their makeup, or style their hair. Certainly the fashion, and look of 'Goth' is a part of it, but it does not define the subculture by itself. The music does, first and foremost.

I have been involved in the Gothic Subculture since 1984. I consider myself a Goth because I have an interest in, am a fan of, and listen to a genre of Music that has come to be known as 'Goth'. It is irrelevant to me whether I am dressed in jeans and a pink jumper, or decked out in all black funereal garb at the same time.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #36
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Ahh, how about...No. In my opinion, Goth is a Musical Subculture based around a genre of Music that developed out of the Punk scene in England in the late 1970's. It is a person's interest in the music of the subculture that makes them a 'Goth'. Not what clothes they wear, how they do their makeup, or style their hair. Certainly the fashion, and look of 'Goth' is a part of it, but it does not define the subculture by itself. The music does, first and foremost.

I have been involved in the Gothic Subculture since 1984. I consider myself a Goth because I have an interest in, am a fan of, and listen to a genre of Music that has come to be known as 'Goth'. It is irrelevant to me whether I am dressed in jeans and a pink jumper, or decked out in all black funereal garb at the same time.
This. Lots of this.

It's disappointing to find so many posts here clamoring about fashion being the big deciding factor, but I guess I'm not surprised.
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #37
Ophelia's Snorkel

Music is, and always has been, the most important factor. It's the only thing I ever get "elder"-ly and crotchety with the babybats about. It was not my introduction to a dark and romantic aesthetic, but it was absolutely my introduction to the subculture - and those are two very different things.

But I do understand why such a disproportionate emphasis is put on fashion. [insert mumbo jumbo about social signifiers, subcultural capital, professed commitment, division of DIYers and goth-in-a-box-ers] I think it just comes down to this: it's a lot easier and more polite to spot one of our lot by looking over people's dress than by prying into the contents of everyone's iPods.

EDIT: I actually typed "Walkman" first *facepalm of senility*
Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
Music is, and always has been, the most important factor. It's the only thing I ever get "elder"-ly and crotchety with the babybats about. It was not my introduction to a dark and romantic aesthetic, but it was absolutely my introduction to the subculture - and those are two very different things.

But I do understand why such a disproportionate emphasis is put on fashion. [insert mumbo jumbo about social signifiers, subcultural capital, professed commitment, division of DIYers and goth-in-a-box-ers] I think it just comes down to this: it's a lot easier and more polite to spot one of our lot by looking over people's dress than by prying into the contents of everyone's iPods.

EDIT: I actually typed "Walkman" first *facepalm of senility*
I prefer the forbidden social act of talking to someone to find out their interests, personally.

I think the big emphasis on fashion is the typical pretentious ego-waving rampant in this subculture.
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #39
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor "Rilvor" Leonard View Post
I prefer the forbidden social act of talking to someone to find out their interests, personally.

I think the big emphasis on fashion is the typical pretentious ego-waving rampant in this subculture.
There's nothing wrong with liking clothes and enjoying fashion. I think it's self-delusional to think that your outfit will somehow draw fellow goths to you like some kind of ant pheremones, though, nor is a goth outfit some kind of badge of worth or merit.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #40
DepthsofSpace

Do you how many people are going to take a look at me and scream, "Hey! You're a Goth, aren't you?"?

Maybe zero in a thousand, at best.

Do you know how much I care?

About the same. Seriously, stupid thread, rather stupid concept. Can we forbid all conversation on this matter?

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #41
SweetJane

I agree... this is stupid.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #42
HavelockV

Quote:
A most amusing page, Miss Lolly. It resurrected fond memories of the sadly now defunct and vanished 'A Goth in the Night' webpage that was once brimming with Goth mockery and wit.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #43
Aerynna

Well, what about a very few but unique individuals who cannot hear, therefore, they cannot listen to the music? Many people said goth is formed because of music and maybe fashion. Does that mean they are not Goth? Instead of music, they are passionate about dark literature and art. Would that count?
Aerynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #44
Solumina

If they like the feel of the vibrations then I suppose so, if not then no. The literature and art may share some sources of influence with the music but they are not all part of the same subculture.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #45
Still Jack

Hang on, what makes a deaf person unique?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #46
Solumina

They can't hear the music.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #47
AsylumVoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Who's this "us"? I didn't think we were an unified entity.
Yeah, Goths are basically part of a hive mind. That's what I tell my nan anyway.
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #48
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
They can't hear the music.
That's not unique...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #49
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumVoid View Post
Yeah, Goths are basically part of a hive mind. That's what I tell my nan anyway.
We are the Borg, Resistance is futile.

Quote:
Any idea if the creators still read their messages.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #50
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
That's not unique...
No but it makes it rather difficult to be a part of a subculture based on music.
-Carbon Leaf