Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Saphyra Runa

A question for the guys

I am going to run with Kontan's query of where are the beautiful clothes for men.

I spend loads of time searching for ideas for men's wear and I really am not to sure what it is men want to wear.

What do you guys want to find that you aren't finding now? I want a good general idea of what your wants and needs are. Of course specifics would be better. heh. Styles, fabrics, patterns, etc....

*if there was another thread along these lines, I am sorry, but I didn't find it.*

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
KontanKarite

Are you involved with that company or what?

Well, other than making up my own stuff, I really prefer the romantic kind of stuff. It's kinda weird to explain, but I see all those wonderful corsets and tops made for girls and think, "Damn, would it really be that hard to make a male version of that?"

Granted, an actual corset would look odd on a guy because we don't have the cleavage, but imagine something like a dress shirt or poet shirt with the corseting lacing up the back.

What I usually tend to lean towards is the near form fitting dress shirts and slightly tight slacks with nice dress shoes. But would it be such a sin to have a bit of lace accents? Maybe lace at the end of the cuffs and dress shirts with Mandarin collars.

Mt philosophy on style is that guys don't always have to look like BAD ASSES to look good. Beautiful men can exist as well. I just wish clothing stores would stop making guys look overly masculine, even when they don't feel that it suits them.

Granted, I have a tendency lately to lean more toward the industrial side of things, (PVC pants, some kind of cyber/post apocalyptic shirt, and goggles). But even then, most of my clothing is fairly form fitting. I'm finding the athletic shirts coupled with fishnet is looking damn awesome and shows off my form rather well.

But for me, it's just getting old, shopping for gothic clothes. It's either a very boring pirate shirt that's best suited for Halloween or some sweater with bloody bondage straps all over it. Or, you'll find something that's really awesome and end up having to shell out over 100 dollars for that one awesome shirt, just to realize that you'll have to toil every week or less trying to keep the upkeep going with back stitching.

I could go on forever, but I'm wanting to get a sewing machine and I don't plan on having these problems anymore once I learn. ^__^

But feel more than free to beat me to it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Edward

The other day, me and a friend were at a drug store buying cigarettes, and the guy gave us a great idea, the women in the middle east, who have to wear full covering clothing all day, they have their clothing made out of some magical fabric that doesn't cause them to die a very hot and sweaty death, were someone to find out what it is (I'm sure it wouldn't be tough, but I haven't gotten around to it yet) they could use it to make very nice gothic clothing, the stuff you see usually, but with the fabric that is light, breathes well, and is still quite dark. THAT would sell incredibly, because we all want to look like vampires in the summer, but don't want to sweat off our make-up.

"Red velvet lines the black box."
~Peter Murphy

*Holding a gun to Robert Smiths Head.*
Smith: DON'T KILL ME!!!
Me: STOP EATING!!!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
The other day, me and a friend were at a drug store buying cigarettes, and the guy gave us a great idea, the women in the middle east, who have to wear full covering clothing all day, they have their clothing made out of some magical fabric that doesn't cause them to die a very hot and sweaty death, were someone to find out what it is (I'm sure it wouldn't be tough, but I haven't gotten around to it yet) they could use it to make very nice gothic clothing, the stuff you see usually, but with the fabric that is light, breathes well, and is still quite dark. THAT would sell incredibly, because we all want to look like vampires in the summer, but don't want to sweat off our make-up.
I think it's along the lines of linen or gauze, which is extremely light and breathable. It's like "hippy" fabric.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Edward

ahh, well we need to make it look frilly and nice, and we make bajillions... so much money only fake words can describe our riches

~Peter Murphy

Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
chelseagirl

KontanKarite:

I'm not a guy, but I have a guy friend who wears a lot of clothing like you mentioned. He buys stuff from Dracinabox, Lip Service, Shrine, and The Dark Angel. He has a lot of beautiful shirts with frills and lace that he got from Shrine. He also has a frilly poet-esque black shirt that laces up the back with silver grommets and satin ribbon, that he bought from Lip Service.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Edward

chelsea, I love all those titles, minues lip service, but the problem with those is the cost, I am getting a jacket from dracinabox, which is gonna cost me 500 bucks, and the rest aren't much better, he's looking for cheaper alternatives, and unfortunately, its home made or nothing at that point.

~Peter Murphy

Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
They don't use some magical fabric, and in the heat of an Arabian summer they do die a very hot and sweaty death. For the record though, the full black hijab garb can be made of anything from cotton to polyester to silk. Silk blends are the best for dark, lightweight clothing.

On a totally different subject, KontanKarite mentioned corsets for men... And yes, they do exist. Not the full overbust styles, but underbust ones are often made for the male form (and are extremely hot). I know a male corsetier with amazing sewing skills and a 22 inch waist to match. More men's corsets would make the world a better place...

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Draconysius

I like clothing with belts and buckles over it. I'd love to find a blazer or leather jacket with belts (like you'd see on combat boots) starting at the back and stopping before the jacket opening in the front. I also like the idea of tattered clothing, like maybe the ends of the sleeves or bottom opening are jagged, kind of like Batman's cape. Maybe an inexpensive tuxedo that's solid black except for the undershirt which is maybe a repeated spiderweb or skull print.

0,..,0 I'm so vain.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
eternalcrimson

I love wearing the traditional gothic clothing like ruffle shirts and what not but these days I’ve been on a quest to look for gothic clothing that has an international flavor.

For example I love the Asian cultures and not so long ago I got a beautiful black silk shirt from China with frog buttons. When I wear my tight pants and a long jacket it looks gothic on me.

I’m also currently looking at getting romantic goth clothing from India, Russia, and a couple other places.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Are you involved with that company or what?
LOL no. I have aspirations of opening my own store here in my area. I actually live in the hometown of where SlipKnot was born. Not saying that is good or bad it just is what it is. Everyone seems to own at least one SlipKnot T-shirt. My area is void of anything other than Hot Topic. Paris Hilton wear and corporate business. And let's not forget those my age that are stuck in their youth. Play Freebird! Play Freebird! So I believe I have found an untapped niche after talking to a few people.

Couple of things that might interest you:

Corset Coat

Corset Vest

Click the pics to view the details on these. Gorgeous.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
eternalcrimson

<Drools>.....WOW! Those are beautiful but wow are they expensive.

It makes me wish I had money now so I could be able to afford them.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
KontanKarite

That's the friggin point I'm trying to make. Look at those god awful prices. I wouldn't pay that much unless it was hand stitched with my own selection of fabrics and made exactly to my measurements.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Breathless Horror

I myself tend to lean more to the side of baggy and/or ripped up pants with chains, and just about anything that has spikes on it. Basically if you could take Tripp pants, add more metal to them and make them so they don't fall apart so damn fast, you would become a deity to me.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
DarkGentleman

I'm glad I make my own outfits with my own size, color, and style.
If I see something that inspires a design, BAM! I go right at it on the sketch book then I see if I can find a suitable fabric for the project.
After that, I go straight to work on the pattern design.

I go with a number of styles myself (romantic, classic, cyber, industrial and a little gothabilly), but I keep it to a certain level of the concept of my ideas.
If I put too much hardware or details on it, it pretty much says to me, "you over did it".

As long it's comfortable, durable and it looks good. I'm happy afterwards.

KontanKarite, ya better get that sewing machine soon or you'll miss out a lot, lol.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #16
Saphyra Runa

Ahem.

Mr. Dark, I say get your self one of those disposable digital cameras , take some pictures, take the camera to Walgreens, or the Canandian equivalent, get the pics on a cd and share the wonder that is your hot Goth self and your wonderous threads.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
I'm glad I make my own outfits with my own size, color, and style.
If I see something that inspires a design, BAM! I go right at it on the sketch book then I see if I can find a suitable fabric for the project.
After that, I go straight to work on the pattern design.

I go with a number of styles myself (romantic, classic, cyber, industrial and a little gothabilly), but I keep it to a certain level of the concept of my ideas.
If I put too much hardware or details on it, it pretty much says to me, "you over did it".

As long it's comfortable, durable and it looks good. I'm happy afterwards.

KontanKarite, ya better get that sewing machine soon or you'll miss out a lot, lol.
The lady I love is named black satin and she teases me by only being around my bed.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Minyaliel

Lol.

As for male corsets - http://www.askthecouch.com/2_past_te...sp?article=192
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
Haunted House

The stuff I like to wear is pretty plain, but made up and DIY-ed by myself. I don't like the "mass produced" look of many of the gothic clothes on websites out there. One of my favorite things ,though is a plain black velvet jacket that I did up with only a few buttons. There are spots where the velvet has worn away to the thin lining under it like on the elbows and on the bottom of the back, but I find it aesthetically pleasing. All in all, I'd say plain jackets in various fabrics that aern't that expensive so those who wish to alter/add to them won't feel bad about doing so. Also black stretch jeans that make you legs look like black-painted broom sticks. Hahaha.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #20
Angel Apprentice

All depends what I am doing or where I am going.

At home black jeans and some retro t shirt.

On a night out it has to be leather and big boots

I wouldn't go anywhere without my black full length Jacket!!
Angel Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote