Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
MissCheyenne

80's style hair

I have an 1980's themed party coming up and I need ideas for what to do with my hair. My hair is currently just past shoulder length at the back with a shorter front section. My hair is very flat and fine and is currently dyed mostly black with the front two to three inches dyed violet. I'm totally stuck for ideas and techniques to get my hair looking appropriately 80's. I've searched for images which have been fairly helpful but I'm really struggling with techniques for getting a good look.Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Solumina

What kind of look are you going for?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
MissCheyenne

The overall look I'm going for is Robert Smith in style. Though I'm not sure I how to get my hair looking that way or if it will actually hold the style. I know my hair is too long for that exact style so anything in a similar style is really what I'm looking for I suppose.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Needlefeet

I think it's crimped and then teased with a shitload of hairspray.
Shoulder length should be about how he has it these days. It's kind of like, a fallen down version of what he used to have.
Personally I just get my hair a tease it and use hairspray for any sort of effect. I don't do that often but it comes out fairly good usually.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
MissCheyenne

How much hairspray is enough though? I've used entire cans of it on my hair before and it's still fallen flat after a couple of hours. I have seriously badly behaved hair.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
SiouxsiePernova

Use as much as you possibly can, and you should keep teasing after each application of hairspray.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
Cicero

Contrary to popular belief there is such thing as too much hairspray, especially for softer Robert Smith styles (as opposed to rock hard mohawks). It can weigh down fine hair really badly, and that's why it may fall flat after a few hours.

Tease waaaaay beyond the point where you start to think "Shit, this'll be a bitch to get out", just tease and tease and tease. It should stay up on its own without hairspray by the end of it all, then when you spray it focus on the roots.

Using a fine-toothed comb such as a pet's flea comb also helps, as well as crimping your hair beforehand.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
MissCheyenne

Thanks, I'll try this out later, so I can experiment with the best way to do it before the party.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Well someone got to it before I did. Hairspray is evil for someone with fine hair. I know 'cause I have it and I used to think more spray as the answer when it was really less.