Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Alan

A little help looking awesome in formalwear

My job demands me to not wear jeans and wear buttoned shirts and such. I don't mind button shirts but I have so few they're really looking worn already and formal pants just look baggy. Basically, I look terrible.

Do you guys know any good websites that offer some nice formalwear that fits me? Some non-jean skinny pants, sweet vests, size s button shirts that show figure but are still for males (or female shirts that don't look too girly)
stuff like that.
This is a goth site so I'm forced to say that color IS an option.

Oh, and I'm not trying to look actually professional; it just can't be casual clothing, so anything from jazzy to hipster is cool; just none of that victorian shit.

Basically I'm trying to look as much as possible like Professor Badass:
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Tam Li Hua

Generally, any store like Sears or JC Penny will have good, basic work clothes in a variety of colors. You don't -have- to buy such things online, but you can always check out Amazon.

What exactly are you going to be doing?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Go Beatnik:

http://www.fashion.at/collections/20...uti2-2009b.jpg

Or Elvis Costello-ish:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2213/...7e89b30770.jpg
The Thrifty Beatnik is good:

http://www.thriftybeatnik.co.uk/

Just adding a vest or suspenders helps "formalize" almost any outfit.

you can also take a peek at http://www.monstervintage.com

The Rusty Zipper Vintage store is cool too and has the best bang for buck with suits starting at$38 US to about $110 US:

http://www.rustyzipper.com/mens/suits

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Heretic

You can go a long way toward banishing the shabbiness of a wardrobe by getting your shirts and pants tailored. Tam mentioned Search and JC Penny. Those and other stores have in-house tailors that may actually tailor your purchases for free. You can take a standard button-down shirt and slacks and turn it into something that's actually pretty cool.

Of course, it shouldn't end there. As you can see from looking at Prof. Badass, it's all about the details. Funky shoes/boots, cuff links, bracelets, rings, watches, all of these things can give your outfit the proper flavor. You also have to consider the how of your clothing choices. Just look at this photo of the Japanese snowboard team arriving at the Vancouver airport for the Winter Olympics earlier this year:

Can you pick out the guy rickin' his own personal style? It isn't what you wear so much as how you wear it.

- Heretic

btw -- Victorian clothing is nothing to sneeze at. Plenty of people love to add a bit of the cowboy/frontier look to their wardrobe. I'm talking not so much about Cowboy hats and silly two-tone Garth Brooks shirts; I'm referring to banded-collar shirts, frock coats and vests. You might want to consider the fact that this style developed during the same period of time as Victorian style and contains many of the same elements.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
emeraldlonewoulf

do you mean actual formal wear ( like tuxedo type stuff) or more like business or casual business wear? What type of work are you doing? this would help greatly in answering your question.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Do you guys know any good websites that offer some nice formalwear that fits me? Some non-jean skinny pants, sweet vests, size s button shirts that show figure but are still for males (or female shirts that don't look too girly) stuff like that.
I always wondered what would happen if a man wore a "The Boyfriend's ___." You know, The Boyfriend's Shirt, The Boyfriend's Cardigan, and so on. I don't know if its for single women who want to say "Hey, I have a boyfriend, and I'm wearing his clothes." or if its so women can cross dress being rest assured its trendy and in the women's section, so they're not really dykes.

But uh, that was a trend last fall so check the thrift stores and the clearance racks in the women's section, you'll probably find good stuff. I work at Sears and we have it in stores on clearance, but I checked their website and its still pricey there.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Lolly PopMuzik

Try your luck at a department store and find an employee around your age in the mens' section, both for young mens' and tailoring. They can measure you and see what types of shirts can strike your fancy, fit you well and be easy to care for (dry clean, hand wash, etc).

I'm not sure if you'd still rather have a tuning fork up your dick than look at anything ott goffity goff stuff but if you're up for accessorizing:
http://www.cyberoptix.com/
They want a wee bit much for their ties but something to inspire you to DIY if you're up to decorating some ties.

I know it sounds silly but that pic makes me wanna make a Profesora Badass outfit.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
KontanKarite

There was this store I once saw that was called Express. It looked like it was dedicated to the business casual man who loved trendy cuts and patterns.

Last time I was there, I saw skinny pants in grays, blacks, pinstripes, and whites. Dress shirts were pretty slick too. Not a lot of vests, but those aren't exactly hard to come by anymore these days.

I feel the same about business wear, Alan. I HATE how business pants makes me look like I'm wearing a bed sheet. I have a fucking beautiful figure. I shouldn't have to hide it when I'm in business casual.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
carakitty

Yes, Express is awesome. I've gotten several clothing items from there which I've loved. But then, I haven't looked at the men's section much though but judging from the women's department I'd say it's a win.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
I know it sounds silly but that pic makes me wanna make a Profesora Badass outfit.
No need to go DIY; his outfit is comprised of things that are all pretty easy to find. A round collar men's dress shirt, a tie, khaki cotton cargo pants, a matching khaki cotton vest, a belt with a big buckle, and some brown sandals (I'd skip his red Chuck Taylors. Just...yuck), a pair of round sunglasses, some choice accessories, and Viola! The trappings of badassery.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty and KontanKarite
Express
I'll endorse it too only because of the clearance rack. That aside, I hope you've got a coupon book or cash money out the wazoo because you'll be seeing some high price tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Stuff
Nah, I wanted to make a female version but that still sounds all right to me. And don't hate on Chucks, I'd consider giving a pigeon shit coated statue a tongue bath for the Dr. Seuss ones they're coming out with.

DIY could equal my own touches with patches, badges and fucked up stitching. Still all pricked thumbs when it comes to sewing, sadly.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
ape descendant

You could go for a zoot suit, that shit's sexay!!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote