Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #51
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I think that'd be cool. Would've made being 12 more interesting.
Of course you do. You're a teenage boy. But from a parental standpoint, it's a tremendously bad idea.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #52
JCC

Except that you're not a parent, so why do I have any less say in this than you do?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #53
Tam Li Hua

That's not what I said. Say whatever you like, but I think you will be hard-pressed to convince the parents of your female peers that their kids should wear miniskirts and tube-tops to school.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #54
Desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
As for what teens should wear, I've always been of the opinion that if they don't pay for it, then they don't have much choice in it.
I buy all my "gothy" clothes myself if I have the money, although my mum is still willing to get them for me too....
Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #55
Apathy's_Child

Everyone seems to be missing the point - that children in sexual clothing are a sympton of something bigger going on in our culture. Banning kids from wearing what they want won't make any more difference than banning the word retard makes to attitudes towards people with mental developmental problems.

How do young kids learn? They emulate. If you heroize people for how they look to the extent that we do, people will start to emulate appearance rather than achievement.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #56
Serren

I don't think that sometimes teenagers really understand how sexual the way they dress can be. My middle sister and I used to dress our younger sister up when she was younger. We thought she looked so cute but I saw a phote of her the other day and she looked horrible, like a baby prosititute or something.

I'd be more concerned about young girls who look a lot older than they actually are picking up older men who have no idea or this girls real age. I know when we were younger we would get into clubs and things and meet these men who had no idea we were maybe 15 or 16. One of my sisters friends looked way older than what she was from a very young age and would go into clubs and pick up men in their 20s and 30s and they'd have no idea she was as young as 13 when she started doing it.

I gave away some of my 'younger' clothes in my early 20's. Hello Kitty that type of stuff.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #57
Underwater Ophelia

I think there should be an age limit on clothing.

Hot chicks should have to stop wearing it when they turn 15--er, 18.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #58
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I think there should be an age limit on clothing.

Hot chicks should have to stop wearing it when they turn 15--er, 18.
Wow. That was...pointless.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #59
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
Wow. That was...pointless.
Almost as pointless as you letting everyone know your thoughts on my comment when no one cares and already knows what I said was pointless.

Cute of you to try, though.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #60
Opteron_Man

I agree that people should be able to wear what they like, but within reasonable bounds. My 5 year old sister does NOT need to be dressed in a bikini!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #61
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I agree that people should be able to wear what they like, but within reasonable bounds. My 5 year old sister does NOT need to be dressed in a bikini!
Are you sure that that's not just based on the fact that it's your sister, or would you say the same for any 5 year old in a bikini?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #62
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
Are you sure that that's not just based on the fact that it's your sister, or would you say the same for any 5 year old in a bikini?
I don't think there's anything wrong with a bikini.
Bikinis are only sexual because tits and ass are flopping out of it.

Five year old children don't have tits and ass.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #63
Haunted House

Quote:

Exactly. On little girls, I think it's fine.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #64
Desdemona

Quote:

I agree with that actually.
Little kids don't have anything really, and adults are old enough to know what they are doing.
Bikini's are fine in my opinion.
Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #65
KontanKarite

My god...

Sometimes I'm thankful that today's society ignores most people. Sometimes...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #66
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
My god...

Sometimes I'm thankful that today's society ignores most people. Sometimes...
What do you mean?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #67
KontanKarite

With all these conflicting ideas of what we find should be put in an age limit and what's "acceptable", just in this thread alone, I'm just glad that these ideas are generally ignored.

By a lot of suggestions here, we'd all look alike by the time we're all 18 and by that time, it'd be up to them to decide weather our choices in apparel deserves ridicule or not. I find comfort in knowing that in several ways, our personal style choices aren't even registering on society's radar as good or bad anymore. In some ways, it's good to know that clothing can lose its meaning.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #68
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
With all these conflicting ideas of what we find should be put in an age limit and what's "acceptable", just in this thread alone, I'm just glad that these ideas are generally ignored.

By a lot of suggestions here, we'd all look alike by the time we're all 18 and by that time, it'd be up to them to decide weather our choices in apparel deserves ridicule or not. I find comfort in knowing that in several ways, our personal style choices aren't even registering on society's radar as good or bad anymore. In some ways, it's good to know that clothing can lose its meaning.
The only way that what you just said is different from reality is that we all look alike before and after the time we're 18.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #69
shogem

Corsets are sexualized for several reasons, to respond to an earlier post. For one, they were underwear for a long portion of western history, whether they were formally called "corsets" or "stays," or what-have-you. In more mainstream "normal" culture, guys tend to still like to see their girlfriends wear corsets so they can promptly take the corsets off as soon as the girl dons one. It gives a sense of psuedo-kinky. It is also fetishized by the BDSM community (although it's arguable if all bdsm is sex play, considering master/slave relationships often step outside of the bedroom and into lifestyle). Even we like corsets because of the accentuated figure it gives us, male or female.

I'm probably socially effected, but I find that age twelve is too young for sexy clothing. It disturbs me, and my only reason is "s/he's too young." Why? Probably because I don't like the idea of pre-pubescent preteens strutting around in Mom's stripper heels. Other people have a more relaxed idea about this, and you know, that's fine. I'm not raising their children someday, I'm raising my own. We're free to parent as we like [in the realm of the law].

I'd also like to argue that boys do have it just as bad, depending on their style. A lot of parents are against boys wearing Victorian clothing, or the ever popular trench coat. Or, parents are against boys crossdressing or wearing make-up.

I also think that a lot of parents are uncomfortable with anything "different" their children wear. Dressing sexy is normal rebellion, so a lot of non-goth parents are prepared to deal with that. Goth is normal rebellion too, but non-goth parents don't expect it, so they react despite their children wanting to wear clothing that covers a lot more skin.

Little girls wearing bikinis is fine. Children's bikinis aren't marketed with calendar girls in mind, so you don't see G-strings and barely-there bra tops.
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #70
Kij.

Definitely. I once knew this little girl who wanted low rise pants like her mom and wanted to dress like her MyScene dolls and such. What does she need low rise jeans for at such a young age?? : /
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #71
Zabijej

When I have kids, I won't make them dress normal or gothic. They are their own people, and they can dress in whatever style they want, however, as long as I'm paying for their clothes I have the final say.

The only two things I consider off-limits are dressing ghetto and dressing slutty. If they're hell-bent, I can compromise on items such as "you can wear the mini skirt, but wear it with flat shoes and a shirt that covers your whole chest" I will compromise very little if the kid wants to dress like a rapper - that style includes an entire lifestyle that can end up very destructive.
Zabijej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #72
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabijej View Post
When I have kids, I won't make them dress normal or gothic. They are their own people, and they can dress in whatever style they want, however, as long as I'm paying for their clothes I have the final say.

The only two things I consider off-limits are dressing ghetto and dressing slutty. If they're hell-bent, I can compromise on items such as "you can wear the mini skirt, but wear it with flat shoes and a shirt that covers your whole chest" I will compromise very little if the kid wants to dress like a rapper - that style includes an entire lifestyle that can end up very destructive.
How the fuck are you willing to bend more on the slut thing but not the ghetto thing?
Are you insane?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #73
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Dressing ghetto
Excuse me?!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #74
Zabijej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
How the fuck are you willing to bend more on the slut thing but not the ghetto thing?
Are you insane?
Sexuality is a natural part of life, and a lot of girls go through a phase where they realise they now have boobs and a butt and try to show it off. If I had a nickle for every time I've heard of someone being told not to leave the house in *that* I would be rich. It's not the end of the world when a 12 year old wears a miniskirt - obviously we're all not down on a street corner somewhere.

The thing about kids getting into the ghetto thing is first you have rap music - not the end of the world - but it promotes subversive ideas like drugs, crime, violence, the whole bitches-n-hos thing. It seems very appealing and...maverick...to someone who is naive and looking for an identity and empowerment.

Granted, there's a lot of metal and industrial music that seems equally subversive - songs about killing people, processing them in a slaughterhouse, putting them in meat grinders, skullfucking people, necrophilia, etc. - however, with only a handful of exceptions, the artists don't actually do any of that. It's entertainment, it's poetry, it's a metaphor. Cattle Decapitation doesn't cut people up. Carpathian Forest doesn't **** teenage nuns. Combichrist doesn't fistfuck people. The violence in rap is what people have actually done or have witnessed - most HAVE actually dealt drugs, most HAVE actually screwed a hooker, some HAVE actually killed someone due to gang affiliation.
Zabijej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #75
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Sexuality is a natural part of life, and a lot of girls go through a phase where they realise they now have boobs and a butt and try to show it off. If I had a nickle for every time I've heard of someone being told not to leave the house in *that* I would be rich. It's not the end of the world when a 12 year old wears a miniskirt - obviously we're all not down on a street corner somewhere.

The thing about kids getting into the ghetto thing is first you have rap music - not the end of the world - but it promotes subversive ideas like drugs, crime, violence, the whole bitches-n-hos thing. It seems very appealing and...maverick...to someone who is naive and looking for an identity and empowerment.
You...do understand how damaging it is when a young girl gets hit on by a grown man, right?
And you do realize that dressing like that encourages it, right?