Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #51
laughing goth

I have never seen one at a thrift store.
I am thinking of making it myself, mostly to make sure the leather quality is good. allot of the stuff I found in the stores was made from this cheep leather that comes apart after a while because its left over scraps ground up and glued together.
I also want to be able to change the belt buckle. so I have to use a screw and not a rivet.
But for 50 cents I would get the belt if I found one.
laughing goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #52
Acharis

If it makes things easier there's a type with snaps so you can swap out buckles as much as you want.

I think they're called interchangable belts/removable buckle. I just bought one cheaply off eBay so I could re-use the parts from a belt I loved to death.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 AM   #53
laughing goth

Snaps would be another option I like the screw closures better because they don't come undone as easily.
I have had snaps come undone occasionally.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #54
Acharis

Ugh.. I just unraveled what I was trying to knit twice because I thought I made a mistake and didn't want to backtrack that far. If you're having trouble concentrating or want to knit over movies, don't attempt lace. >_>
Old 12-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #55
laughing goth

I will keep that in mind if I ever take up Knitting. Where are the girls, Its been a few day since we herd from them.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #56
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Ugh.. I just unraveled what I was trying to knit twice because I thought I made a mistake and didn't want to backtrack that far. If you're having trouble concentrating or want to knit over movies, don't attempt lace. >_>
You tried so hard, and got so far....

Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #57
Acharis

Oh god. I had to Google that

Despite all my rage I'm a goth in a cage...

My own fault though, what I chose wasn't a movies knit. I was attempting a sample of the lace from this while simultaneously goofing off and half-watching things. I'm going to pick something lazier next time I try.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #58
laughing goth

I have been looking at this last post for days now and can not think of a thing to say. We must not let the knit team down !
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #59
Saya

I got a week to Christmas and I'm only starting the heel of my second sock now. I need a General Paton-esque pep talk.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #60
Acharis

JUST DO IT

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

YESTERDAY YOU SAID TOMORROW

I've been distracted by making other hands on stuff, and am still trying to pick out something to try and knit. This is cute, or I could just start knitting another basic toe up sock and wing it on what pattern I want.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #61
laughing goth

I'll have no sockless men in my army !
General Patton.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #62
Acharis

*General Patons
Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #63
Saya

I now truly regret not using Patons for these socks. He's in the army! He does army stuff!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #64
Acharis

Straighten up soldier!

You can do this!

March!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #65
laughing goth

well how goes the sock ?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #66
Saya

They're done! ...And the first sock is bigger than the second sock, I realized I had ladders partway through so tightened my stitches, and apparently that made a big difference. whoopsie.

He hasn't commented on it though. Maybe he doesn't notice?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #67
Acharis

Plot twist: Recipient just happens to have different sized feet, so each sock fits perfectly.

I do wonder about socks sometimes. Whether they'd need to be knitted differently for idiosyncracies like high/low arches, long feet, bunions etc.

Perhaps in the old days when there was only wool and more possibility of bone deformations ie rickets they might have had to get creative and make the stitches work. When I made stockings with non-stretch yarn I had to shape them to my leg, and if there's any tightness or rubbing with socks you're gonna have a bad time.

Personally I'd put a band of rib stitch between the toe cap and arch for someone with bunions, but I guess modern day stuff like lycra/elastic/stretch yarns make fit more universal and forgiving.

I think too much about custom socks and vintage patterns.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #68
Saya

I knitted the socks in fingerling yarn, now I'm working on a hat in worsted yarn. Now worsted weight feels so huge and difficult.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #69
Acharis

Think of how much faster it's going to knit up though.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #70
Saya

That would be the case if this pattern wasn't full of LIES and DECEIT!

Like on the materials list, it said Needles: Size three! Then, size seven circular needles! I assumed that meant the size three needles were straights, but no, she must have meant either dpns or circular because I need to knit in the round with them at some point.

Then I looked up the pattern on ravelry and there's lots of comments about all the problems with this pattern other than what's noted in the errata, so that'll show me.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #71
Acharis

That sounds incredibly weird. You're probably right about the dpns/circular, but I'm also a bit confused by such a large jump between the needle sizes. I'm not experienced with hats but that seems like a big difference even for ribbing? (It might make sense for something very gathered like a beret, but I don't know.)

I checked the size charts to see if they were mish mashing different sizing systems but the sizes don't match up.

The pattern sounds confusing as hell, if I was making it I might be able to guess from context but there would be a lot of reverse engineering and guessing.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #72
Saya

It's this hat: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/daisy-cloche-3

So you do the brim in linen stitch, and with some short rows to get that shape, which I'm also having an issue with. At the end of a short row, she says to turn and "work one row even.", then do another short row, work one row even etc. But I think she means to the stitch marker, because otherwise the linen stitch pattern gets fucked up. Linen stitch is knit one, sl wyif. If I just keep knitting a full row even, after the short row I might have two knits or slips back to back and I'm not sure how to fix that. So I think maaaaaybe she means just knit back to the stitch marker and hopefully the pattern will line up again after I'm done with the short rows.

And you need the smaller needles because you keep binding off parts. After the linen stitch section is done, with size seven needles, you bind it all off, then pick the stitches up again with the size three, knit a few rows then switch back. You bind off again after the main body and I think after each section of the circles on the top of the hat. I assume this keeps the hat structured.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #73
Acharis

Ohh ok, that makes more sense. Maybe put in a lifeline and try your theory out, then you can rip it back if you need to. (I wish I'd known about these earlier.)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #74
Saya

Oh man, that's brilliant! If I ever give lace knitting another go, I'm going to keep that in mind.

I actually dug up a blog post from someone else who made the hat and they made a lot of handy notes. Completely solved my problem! The internet is a glorious, glorious thing.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #75
Acharis

I love when that happens. Usually there'd be no notes and I'd just have to freestyle, which makes for a lot of extra work.

Any recommendations for something that can be knitted ultra lazily while watching tv shows? I thought of a scarf but might be bored unless it was a simple yo k2tog fishnet or something.