Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
CptSternn

Dead Island

Anyone else out there playing Dead Island? It's like Fallout, only with zombies.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
AshleyO

It plays practically exactly like Fallout but of course the action is in a totally different context and the zombies fight totally different as opposed to what you fight in Fallout. It's actually a good idea to try and aim for the head.

The graphics are at least nice to look at. They seem kinda dated, but they're still pretty.

The sound works well for the game. I find myself listening to the incoming heavy breathing of the undead to make sure I'm not getting jumped.

The story is NOT as bad as people are saying. It's a zombie killing game. All the zombie flick tropes are there. I don't know why people are reviewing it so harshly. It's not like we have to expect this to be some kind of intellectual titan.

It has elements of Diablo in it... or at least Borderlands I guess. I like the weapon upgrading and crafting parts of the game.

This is one of those games that can keep you thoroughly engaged and interested long enough until more superior titles comes out such as Arkham City and Skyrim. But it also has staying power. While it wont be my immediate go to game for the holidays, it's not a game I'm going to easily walk away from and forget. It makes you want to play it several times.

It's a good game. But not a great game.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
CptSternn

I finished it in three days. That being said I put in 14 hours a day for three days.

I liked it but there were a few issues. I liked the story, it was good. The problems I had were this -

1. The bugs. There were multiple bugs. I played it on Xbox and even with the first patch there were plenty of bugs left. If you travel fast to some locaitons after completing some quests it would remove the quest from your list and put it in the DONE category, yet you would not get the XP or items you were supposed to get, or see the related cut scene. Also in a few areas doors were missing the bar they were supposed to have and key plot items just were not there. In those cases you had to quit the game out to the main menu and come back in and try again. Sometimes it took a few tries before the items would appear. There also were bugs with many of the achievements like the one I listed above which keeps anyone who does a full play through from getting all the achievements they normally would have acquired.

2. The level of difficulty. It seems to be made for multiplayer only. You don't see this until Act II, but it starts to get insanely difficult to the point one person has no chance. I didn't die at all in the first Act, then died over 100 times in Act II and almost 200 in Act III. You continually get rushed by swarmed from all angles and there is nothing you can do as one person to stop from dying. Luckily it just puts you back a few feet and takes 10% of your money and lets you try again. I found most hard bits just became a war of attrition, I would kill off three or so foes in one life, die as the other fifteen or so attacked me, and then go back and kill off a few more each time until I was through that section. I found that strategy detracted from the gameplay though. When you reach one of those areas you are just like, oh here we go.

Overall I liked it though. The obviously are making a sequel so hopefully they will iron out the kinks and work on the gameplay for the next one sure.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
AshleyO

Yeah, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. But no. It IS much harder in Act 2. I'm on Act 3. I haven't ran into any bugs like that. I SHOULD. But I haven't seen it.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
CptSternn

Act III is easier than Act II. Act II is hard because you keep getting swarmed constantly and there is no real safe zones to go to.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
AshleyO

I beat the game. It's worth an extra few playthroughs. Eventually you kind of just get to a point in the game where monster and weapon equalize and you kill most things with 2 hits.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
CptSternn

I finished my third playthrough today. I now have all 50 achievements. The toughest was the level 50. Turns out there are a few glitches you can use though that will help you level up fast.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Debz_Satin_Ebony

Yea, I liked Dead Island, having a hard time getting into it, cause im into a couple other games right now, But i played around with it for a few minutes and its pretty rad!!!
Debz_Satin_Ebony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
VeraVoodoo

Ahhh, love Dead Island! It was super glitchy for a while, loved it anyway. I have so much fun with it!
VeraVoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote