Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Lolly PopMuzik

Scientists: Zombie attack could decimate the world if not swiftly dealt with

Quote:
Science ponders 'zombie attack'
By Pallab Ghosh
Science correspondent, BBC News

If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.

That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.

They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.

The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.

In books, films, video games and folklore, zombies are undead creatures, able to turn the living into other zombies with a bite.

But there is a serious side to the work.

In some respects, a zombie "plague" resembles a lethal, rapidly spreading infection. The researchers say the exercise could help scientists model the spread of unfamiliar diseases through human populations.

In their study, the researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University (also in Ottawa) posed a question: If there was to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would win?

Professor Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his surname and not a typographical mistake) and colleagues wrote: "We model a zombie attack using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies.

"We introduce a basic model for zombie infection and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions."

To give the living a fighting chance, the researchers chose "classic" slow-moving zombies as our opponents rather than the nimble, intelligent creatures portrayed in some recent films.

"While we are trying to be as broad as possible in modelling zombies - especially as there are many variables - we have decided not to consider these individuals," the researchers said.

Back for good?

Even so, their analysis revealed that a strategy of capturing or curing the zombies would only put off the inevitable.

In their scientific paper, the authors conclude that humanity's only hope is to "hit them [the undead] hard and hit them often".

They added: "It's imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly or else... we are all in a great deal of trouble."

According to the researchers, the key difference between the zombies and the spread of real infections is that "zombies can come back to life".

Professor Neil Ferguson, who is one of the UK government's chief advisers on controlling the spread of swine flu, said the study did have parallels with some infectious diseases.

"None of them actually cause large-scale death or disease, but certainly there are some fungal infections which are difficult to eradicate," said Professor Ferguson, from Imperial College London.

"There are some viral infections - simple diseases like chicken pox have survived in very small communities. If you get it when you are very young, the virus stays with you and can re-occur as shingles, triggering a new chicken pox epidemic."

Professor Smith? told BBC News: "When you try to model an unfamiliar disease, you try to find out what's happening, try to approximate it. You then refine it, go back and try again."

"We refined the model again and again to say... here's how you would tackle an unfamiliar disease."

Professor Ferguson went on to joke: "The paper considers something that many of us have worried about - particularly in our younger days - of what would be a feasible way of tackling an outbreak of a rapidly spreading zombie infection.

"My understanding of zombie biology is that if you manage to decapitate a zombie then it's dead forever. So perhaps they are being a little over-pessimistic when they conclude that zombies might take over a city in three or four days."
...Whoo. I just wonder if they thought of the possibility of a chemical cause (IE: Like 245 Trioxin). Regardless, this just gives me the heebiest of jeebies.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Lord Whiskerton

World War Z was correct! Our demise is nigh!

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Still Jack

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the garage building lobos and sharpening my parang.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Lord Whiskerton

We have to start storing supplies into our underground bunkers!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Malice In Wonderland

No they Foncking won't!
I'mma sharpen my spade.

Also, is there no end to Robert Smith's talent?

Edit: Whiskerton, did you learn nothing from what happened to Sweden?!

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Still Jack

Screw sweden, remember Paris....
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Malice In Wonderland

But Sweden's bunkers!
Yeah, Paris' underground troubles were pretty brutal.
Personally, I think we need a submarine.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Still Jack

I'd feel more comfortable in a fortified blimp. But a nuclear sub would be kind of awesome.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Malice In Wonderland

A blimp would need refueling too often.
Those Chinese guys held off the Zack for years in a nuclear sub.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Saya

If Pandemic II is any indication, Madagascar is the safest place. Let us flee in our submarine.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
There are actual groups of scientists getting paid for this? I'm obviously interested in the wrong line of work, I'm going to get to work on forming a research group on where on earth vampires might be hiding.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
If Pandemic II is any indication, Madagascar is the safest place. Let us flee in our submarine.
But zombies don't need to breath so they can get there without any planes or boats, no piece of land is safe, other than maybe the poles as zombies would freeze. I would imagine that an aircraft carrier would be rather safe, there would be plenty of space (unlike those little subs), after all an aircraft carrier is practically a floating, fortified city and if you pick up people there are places where they could be quarantined until you can be sure that they are not infected.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Lord Whiskerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
But zombies don't need to breath so they can get there without any planes or boats, no piece of land is safe, other than maybe the poles as zombies would freeze. I would imagine that an aircraft carrier would be rather safe, there would be plenty of space (unlike those little subs), after all an aircraft carrier is practically a floating, fortified city and if you pick up people there are places where they could be quarantined until you can be sure that they are not infected.
Oh dear! My sources inform me that they have the ability to walk underwater!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Yeah but they get bloated and sort of swarm about.
PRESSURE SUITS YOU FOOLS!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Reiko

woah! Trippy. You know there's actual people who prepare themselves for an actual zombie attack!
Reiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

5 Scientific Reasons A Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
They freeze, but when summer comes along they thaw and they're a threat once again.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #18
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
A blimp would need refueling too often.
How so? Fill it up with helium, then tether it to the vampire state building. Send scouts down every so often for food. Shoot zack from the comfort of your own balcony.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I know it's just a joke, but there are fools who would take this seriously.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
KontanKarite

You know, I would actually have to say that a rage virus like in 28 Days Later is the most likely form of zombie attack we could probably see.

I don't think it's beyond evolution or even a lab to concoct a biological weapon that induces madness and is very contagious.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #21
Raptor

Yeah, rabies.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
SiouxsiePernova

They're coming to get you, Barbara!

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Wait, but...you guys realize it wouldn't be like that, though, right?

Like, even if there were a disease that made you act nuts and was contagious, it would still be nothing like a zombie outbreak?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #24
Terminus

Fuck it, the only place that's safe is in orbit.

I call dibs on the ISS.
Terminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
Still Jack

I don't care if there's ever gonna be something like this or not. I just want green light be illegally and heavily armed, have a zeppelin ( or nuclear sub ) and randomly kill civilians.