Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Saya

Jack Layton died

Quote:
Jack Layton lost his biggest battle early Monday morning, succumbing to cancer. He was 61.

Surrounded by his wife, NDP MP Olivia Chow, other family members and friends, Mr. Layton died “peacefully at his home,” according to a statement issued by his wife and children Monday.

Mr. Layton looked gaunt, his voice very weak, when he held a news conference last month in Toronto to announce he was suffering from a second cancer. He vowed, then, that he would be back to work when the House of Commons resumed on Sept. 19.

He did not reveal what that cancer was. It is still not known.

At that time, he asked his caucus to accept a rookie MP, Nycole Turmel, as interim leader. It is not clear now whether she will continue in that role or how a formal leadership transition will work.

A popular politician – nicknamed Smiling Jack, for his charm and enthusiasm with life and politics – Mr. Layton orchestrated his party going from third place to Official Opposition status in the May 2 election.

Although he had been fighting a prostate cancer diagnosis and a fractured hip, he appeared healthy during the campaign. In fact, the cane he used to support himself became a lightning rod as the party’s support grew and grew.

The NDP victory in the election was based primarily on a huge breakthrough in Quebec and the collapse of the Bloc Québécois

In an lengthy interview with The Globe and Mail the day before the government fell last March, Mr. Layton said that he was fine, did not know why his hip had fractured but said the cancer had not spread.

He had led the NDP since 2003, and had just turned 61 on July 18.

In a statement Monday, Governor-General David Johnston said of Mr. Layton: "He dedicated his life to serving his fellow citizens. He did this with so much grace. He will be missed.‬"

Interim Liberal leader Bob Rae also offered condolences, saying he and his wife, Arlene, “are deeply saddened” by Mr. Layton’s death.

“He was a friend of ours for many years, and despite our political differences his decency, good humour and extraordinary resilience earned our deep admiration,” Mr. Rae said. “We remained friends throughout our political lives.”

Mr. Rae was once an NDP MP and served as NDP premier of Ontario.

“On behalf of the Liberal Party of Canada and our Parliamentary Caucus, I express our deep condolences to Olivia and Jack's family, as well as to his colleagues and friends in the New Democratic Party,” he said in his statement.” “He leaves a powerful legacy of a commitment to social justice in his work in Toronto as a city councillor and as a national leader.

Mr. Rae ended his statement with this: “Peace and comfort to all. When David Lewis passed away Stanley Knowles ended his eulogy with the words 'shalom chaver, shalom.' Peace, brother, peace.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2137070/

I know not many people here follow Canadian politics, but this is heart breaking. He seemed like such a good man and his charisma was probably a big reason why the NDP did so well last election. Its a big loss, and he isn't going to be easy to replace.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Saya

A lot of people are posting pictures that remind me why I like him:

On another note, a tornado struck Ontario and twelve died in a plane crash in Nunavut. Why does God hate Canada?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Grausamkeit

Fuck God, he's a dick.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Jack Layton lost his biggest battle early Monday morning, succumbing to cancer. He was 61
That's a disease that really needs a few more mortal enemies.
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Saya

Its kinda been a crazy day. He left a letter to Canadians that was really good, he was positive to the last: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...st-letter.html

Everyone seems to be bummed right out, a lot of my friends have been thinking about joining the NDP for some time but officially did so today. There's going to be a vigil for him here tomorrow night that I'll be attending.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
CptSternn

What colour is he now.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
*Twitch

Ah goddamn it. Jack, you were a light of hope in our political darkness. I can only hope that the party will continue to press on with thier success in his footsteps. A great leader, a caring politician, and a good man, Layton was a rare breed, and the whole country is diminished without him.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Saya

He's getting a state funeral on Saturday, are you going, Twitch?

People showing love in chalk near Toronto's city hall: http://torontoist.com/topics/layton-memorial.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
What colour is he now.
Wut?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

Sternn's just being an ass. I don't think he would make sense if he could.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
*Twitch

I would love to go to the funeral, unfortunately I've been off work the last three months with a broken knee, so I really don't have the money to jet off to Toronto for the funeral of a man I never knew, even if he was a great man. I'll most likely pop down to parliament hill and write something in the condolences book there. Jack Layton drew me out of my political apathy, he deserves some token of thanks, even if just for his family.

-CONFLICT
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Twitch View Post
I would love to go to the funeral, unfortunately I've been off work the last three months with a broken knee, so I really don't have the money to jet off to Toronto for the funeral of a man I never knew, even if he was a great man. I'll most likely pop down to parliament hill and write something in the condolences book there. Jack Layton drew me out of my political apathy, he deserves some token of thanks, even if just for his family.
Derp derp, I assumed state funeral meant it would be in Ottawa, but yeah Toronto makes far more sense.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
*Twitch

Yeah, the funeral itself is in TO, but there's smaller ceremonies, vigils, and condolence books placed all over the place. Besides, state funerals means lots of big wigs, and lots of big wigs means lots of cops. And anywhere there's lots of cops is a place I'm highly unlikely to be.

-CONFLICT
Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
CptSternn

died, dyed.

It's not as funny when you have to break out the white board and start drawing diagrams.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Saya

Its really not funny anyway. Maybe if it was spoken? And I'm being generous with that maybe.

Anyway, on another forum someone posted a picture of the line up on Parliament to pay respects. It was a five hour line up apparently:

And I really don't think this would happen if it had happened to any other party leader, poor guy was the best prime minister we never had.