Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
endemonidia

Is fingerprint scanning in school appropriate?

Huzzah, the summer holidays! (though I've actually been on holidays since the end of May, that's Transition Year for you)

When I go back to school in September, filled with terror of the idea of the Leaving Cert in 20 months, I'm going to have to scan in my fingerprint every morning before 8.30 or receive an immediate detention. According to the new headmistress, it's to stop people from being late in the mornings. My sister was in a class that piloted the scheme last year, and it's done her no lasting damage and is apparantly quite painless.

However, I have a little problem with the whole concept of fingerprint scanning in schools. Actually, I have a huge problem with it, on two fronts. First of all, I don't believe the school has a right to store my biometric data on its files. I know that the information is unlikely to be compromised, but it's like putting bank statements in the rubbish bin so that people can read your details, passwords, credit card numbers, etc, ie not a very wise thing to do.

My second problem is that it's completely pointless. The old system worked like this: at around 8.50 (we have to go in half an hour earlier next year) Ms Foley would stand by the door and accost any latecomers. They'd file into the Studen'ts Office, sign their names in a late book and and at the end of the week would receive a disiplinary docket (4 dockets = detention). About 5-25 of the 650 pupils would be late each morning, which isn't a huge strain on the schooling system - I'm not talking about sauntering in at 10.30, but being five minutes late.

Installing a fingerprint scanning system, which everybody must partake in, in order to catch out those few people every morning is ridiculous! The time and money being invested in the scheme is woefully disproportionate to the overall result, especially when a perfectly efficient system was already in place. And what about the people who are queueing at the machine at 8.29, are in school on time but receive a detention anyway?

Do other people know about schools that have similar gadgets? Is it a valid point or am I just still bitter at Ms O'Hanlon for telling me to tuck my hair behind my ears "like a normal person"?
endemonidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
BLEED REBELION!!!

ive never heard f finger printing in schools. i wouldnt do it if i was you take the detention. its just principle i dont even like the government haveing my print (i dont like social security #s ) pretty soon we'll be walking around with tracking chips in our heads
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Ug, violation of one's privacy. I do not like this concept. I think you should fight the system if you really believe what they're doing is wrong.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
MotherofMercies

Wow is Australia just laid back or is it just me.

At the school I went to role call was around 8:45am, and if you're late you sign in late. No-one cared it just looks bad on a Resume....
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
LostAndCrazy

The difference being that, you do not have loony kids going to school and shooting other kids and teachers up. Stupid gun laws. The U.S. government insists there is no connection at all in having a gun and shooting someone with it.
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I personally believe the U.S. government is cooking up some sort of conspiracy, and soon this country will become a dictatorship, and there will be a rebellion and then anarchy will reign over. It'll start with just this crap about guns and fingerprinting. I am getting ready for it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
c130

Fight it. See what happens. A few detentions would be worth it to get in the local papers and put the school under critical limelight for an almost totalitarian disregard of student privacy. Every time this kind of thing happens, it's another step towards total control... just they do it so slowly and make it seem so harmless, we don't notice it's happened until it's too late.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Just what makes this so awful?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
BLEED REBELION!!!

if they ever gave me a chip id try to cut it out lets hope its not in my neck .
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
LostAndCrazy

I like chips... computer chips, potato chips, whatever I'm not picky. I'll most likely end up eating mine.
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
c130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Just what makes this so awful?
And what exactly is wrong with just taking normal ID-card photos of students rather than their fingerprints?

Biometric data should never be used to identify people who aren't criminals. It's a total invasion of privacy and personal security.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
natharliak

Exclamation

if i was you i would move school cause the whole finger print thing is just stupid cause well i come in to my home room 20 mins late i go through the window and pretend i was just a loner. but the finger printer is just... just .... compleatly and utterly dumb cause well images all the weird ppl picking there noses and touching those things and you have to touch it seriosly gross..... i hate ppl who aren't at least half higinic...
just tell the lady to shove her job where it belongs (a big black hole)
natharliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
c130

So you'll be lobbying against doorhandles next, too?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
käthryn

How is this unlike how many employee drones in this world clock in for their shift at work? School is just there to train you to be an obedient employee someday anyway. There are lines at the timeclock in the real world, too.
käthryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
Biometric data should never be used to identify people who aren't criminals. It's a total invasion of privacy and personal security.
So then, you must be opposed to what they do in California... If you go to a CA DMV for a state ID or driver's license, you have to provide a thumb print.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
issacaron

To think this problem could have been solved with the principal telling the teachers to pay attention.

Are they incorporating the fingerprint scanners with some sort of access control? I.E if your fingerprint does not match your not allowed to enter the school.

If the scanners are part of security measures, then they're overkill. I think its also important to note that they are very cheap to implement, Cheaper than magnetic or barcoded cards for everyone plus a reader, plus replacement cards/readers.
issacaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #17
c130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor
So then, you must be opposed to what they do in California... If you go to a CA DMV for a state ID or driver's license, you have to provide a thumb print.
Well an official State driver's license isn't quite on the same level as a school register, is it?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
käthryn

Your education records are permanent legal records about you, just as the government records.
käthryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

People are so concerned about the Big Brother that they begin to think the Big Brother has power over us.
The Big Brother analogy is perfect actually. Just think of two real brothers.
The little brother believes his big brother is all powerful and will always protect him. When the kid grows to be a teen he'll be pissed that te big brother has the power to do whatever the hell he wants without the little brother having any power to stop him (imagine there are no parents).
But when the kid finally grows up, he realizes the big brother never had anything; no power, not anything. It was all an inferiority complex on his part by labeling himself as the little brother.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #20
Splintered

Unless Big Brother actually has tangible power.

For instance, say little brother kicks big brother in the stones.
Big brother, in a furious rage, kills little brother.

Ergo the problem.

I don't like the concept. It just seems unnecessary. The possible security benefit is negligible in my view, for it to be a valid form of protection. Remember the kids at Columbine? They were students, and could have just gone through the fingerprint, locked and loaded. (Security is the only excuse I can see. Installing a very expensive system for any other purpose is wasteful.)