Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #76
Saya

How are you with cables? I bet a cable knit scarf would be super easy but keep you on your toes.

I knit the socks mostly while binging on tv, but I also tend to watch shows that don't need my full attention, like true crime shows or cozy mysteries.

Mmm after watching Jessica Jones I'll probably want to knit an infinity scarf for myself.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #77
Acharis

Cables could be cool. I've already started the scarf though - no word on if I'll ever finish it but it's something to do in odd moments. Any recommendations on things to watch while knitting/doing something else? (JJ might not be the best for right now.)
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #78
Saya

I'm secretly 70 years old so I looooooove cozy mysteries. I finished Rosemary and Thyme recently and loved it. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is excellent and doesn't feel so much like an old lady show. I was watching Midsomer Mysteries with my roommate and I'm probably going to turn to it again soon, although I question how anyone is alive at all in rural England. Is murder really that prevalent? XD

If you have Netflix, I've watched Masters of None, Ken Burns documentaries (I like The Civil War and Prohibition especially, I might rewatch The Civil War soon), Twilight Zone, Bob's Burgers, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Inside The American Mob, X-Files, Twin Peaks....

If you're not opposed to anime, Mushishi is really good. I also did a lot of knitting while binging Wedding Peach, which is a huuuuuuuuge guilty pleasure. But in my defense, they did have a knitting episode.

I also been listening to podcasts, mostly Serial and Criminal, but I'm also working my way through Suspense thanks to the Old Time Radio archive: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Suspense_Singles
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #79
Anise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
.... although I question how anyone is alive at all in rural England.
Aaahahahahaa oh it's the truth!
I caught a great Agatha Christie adaptation on BBCiplayer ..
Forgive me, I'm unsure as to iplayers reach in geographical terms?
Think per chance that you'd like it tho Saya ...
'And Then There Were None' it's currently in the Drama section.
I enjoyed it.

I watch YouTube docus and shows on my phone in bed at nite, helps me unwind ..
FBI cases, serial killer docs, true case files etc ...
I find them so interesting, forensics and criminal profiling are faves.
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #80
Anise

Aaaand the new series of Silent Witness has started *happy dance*
I love it, a long~running great show.
Plus hitting the last high note of the opening title music is exuberant

YouTube has much of the old series and of course they're both an education in forensic science and the Norn Irish accent, for Professor Sam Ryan has the same accent as moi

*As does Jack Hodgson who's in the current series .. but he's a chap so not as authentically me tbh lol ... oh saaay IF you guys can, try to catch 'The Fall'?
It's a great wee criminal drama series with the lovely Gillian XFiles Anderson and Jamie Dornan .. filmed in the North of Ireland, so yeah .. you guessed it!
They all sound like ME

*Total lie .. Gillian is an English investigator, but that in itself is amazing! Her English accent is true Brit! If yas can, check it out, pretty good show.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #81
Anise

Aaaand the new series of Silent Witness has started *happy dance*
I love it, a long~running great show.
Plus hitting the last high note of the opening title music is exuberant

YouTube has much of the old series and of course they're both an education in forensic science and the Norn Irish accent, for Professor Sam Ryan has the same accent as moi

*As does Jack Hodgson who's in the current series .. but he's a chap so not as authentically me tbh lol ... oh saaay IF you guys can, try to catch 'The Fall'? It's a great wee criminal drama series with the lovely Gillian XFiles Anderson and Jamie Dornan .. filmed in the North of Ireland, so yeah .. you guessed it!

They all sound like ME

*Total lie .. Gillian is an English investigator, but that in itself is amazing! Her English accent is true Brit! If yas can, check it out, pretty good show.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #82
Anise

o.O

Eh yeah .. it's so good that duplicate posts are required!?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #83
Stormbringer

Wikipedia : Gillian Anderson spent her childhood growing up in north London's Crouch End and Harringay. She was a pupil of Coleridge Primary School. When Anderson was 11 years old, her family moved again, this time to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Yet, they continued to have a flat in London, where Anderson spent her summers. In Grand Rapids, she attended Fountain Elementary and then City High-Middle School; a program for gifted students with a strong emphasis on the humanities.

Following the move to Grand Rapids, Anderson went through a rebellious stage; experimenting with drugs, dating a much older boyfriend and..... dyeing her hair various colours, shaving the sides or her head, sporting a nose piercing and an all-black wardrobe.......Gillian , come back to us !!!
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #84
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing goth View Post
So here we are on a Goth forum talking about knitting and sowing.
who would have thought ?
Looking at the craft conversations and cat gifs on here, this is how I imagine it appears to outsiders visiting the site. Heh.

Just to make this post relevant have a goth knitting video.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #85
Saya

Stuff Mom Never Told You did a great podcast on knitting! http://www.stuffmomnevertoldyou.com/podcasts/knitting/

It's a lot more interesting than you expect, I swear. Spies used to use knitting to communicate in code!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #86
Pr1aP1sm

I remember reading something about how Knitting was used as a way to store Binary Information, Codes, and primitive Programs. I'm not sure I understand how it worked, but I think NASA used a woven core rope memory system for the Apollo missions.

A couple years ago I found a bunch of my grandmothers old Knitting Patterns from the 1950's, and was surprised by how much they looked like a simple program written in some BASIC or PASCAL dialect from the 70's or early 80's.
I've often thought about making some little program that I could feed the patterns into... Just to see the results... And maybe see what she was planning on making.

This is not one of hers, I just found it online,
But I think you might be able to see how they resemble some early programming....
Pr1aP1sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #87
Stormbringer

Fascinating.

In Other News : Hasn't it been a quiet week here.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #88
Pr1aP1sm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
In Other News : Hasn't it been a quiet week here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=iIIuR-HjFho
Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #89
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1aP1sm View Post
I remember reading something about how Knitting was used as a way to store Binary Information, Codes, and primitive Programs. I'm not sure I understand how it worked, but I think NASA used a woven core rope memory system for the Apollo missions.

A couple years ago I found a bunch of my grandmothers old Knitting Patterns from the 1950's, and was surprised by how much they looked like a simple program written in some BASIC or PASCAL dialect from the 70's or early 80's.
I've often thought about making some little program that I could feed the patterns into... Just to see the results... And maybe see what she was planning on making.

This is not one of hers, I just found it online,
But I think you might be able to see how they resemble some early programming....
Yeah that's pretty normal for a knitting pattern. In the podcast they mention that during wartime it was illegal to mail knitting patterns-it could be code!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #90
Acharis

Well it's basically the same premise.

Knitters were the early 3D printers.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #91
Pr1aP1sm

Sorry Guys... I know nothing about knitting or fashion.

A few years ago I began messing around with microcontrollers.
(mainly Arduino) But it wasn't long until I came across the works of a dutch fashion-tech designer named ANOUK WIPPRECHT.
She uses microcontrollers and many different sensors in her designs to make the clothing responsive to proximity, as well as the mood and focus of the wearer.
Her work and its potential has been something of a fascination to me.
I really like her Spider Dress.
But some of her other works are pretty cool as well.

If your interested here's the Spider Dress...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Aybs6rmcjk8

Here's it in her words...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsM...er_profilepage

Again, it's not knitting but I thought you might find it interesting.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #92
Acharis

Wow, that's really cool.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #93
Anise

Loooooooooooooove it!!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #94
Pr1aP1sm

Her 'SmokeDress' is pretty cool as well;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-0l...yer_detailpage

I would imagine there's a lot of this (fashion-tech-thing) going on in the cosplay world...?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #95
Saya

Working on these right now: http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=3469&cid=19

I figure if I start knitting now, everyone can get knitted things for Christmas!

Socks for everyone!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #96
Ellethwyn

Saya, those are beautiful!
Ellethwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #97
Acharis

Nice! Those look seriously toasty.

Me.. my motivation is so bad now that I'm just knitting dishcloths while I watch stuff. That's the only way I get anything done.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #98
Acharis

I'm halfway through my fourth one now. Uh... go me?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #99
Saya

Go you! I believe in you!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #100
Acharis

Tbh I'm knitting them with cotton twine because it works and we don't really have the cheap buck or so a pop cotton yarn here. (And I don't particularly like this brand of twine, preferring the one I used to use.)

I've looked to other proper projects but things are a bit dire for yarn in Australia. Not a great selection and ordering online can often be met by unavailability/won't ship/prohibitive costs

My whole life I've just been remathing everything or going full experimental to use what I can get.