Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
Circle V

Country?

"I like all music, except for country and rap."

I hate that phrase. Besides encompassing both polka and Kenny G, it is self-defeating-- people use it to sound like learned (stress on the the e) and open-minded musical gourmets, but a truly open-minded person would not think to say something so very limiting.

Anyway.

Here is my question:

Do you like any country bands or artists? If not, what is it that makes country music so unappealing to you?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, I hate that phrase too. Especially when country is such a beautiful style.
Though you won't find country music in my iPod, and I can't name a single country artist.
I still have heard many country songs that make me cry, but just as my favorite song of all (There You'll Be by Faith Hill) I won't be adding them to my playlist. For some reason I find it much more beautiful when a song just happens to appear and I listen to it, not knowing when will I listen to it again.
I still remember one time that I visited New Mexico, and we went to a restaurant with a country band in it. First they played some happy songs, but the mood gradually became melancholic as time passed by. The songs were beautiful remembrances of old years I hadn't lived. It romanticized the Wild West too much in my overall opinion, but it touched my heart in that time.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Circle V

I love New Mexico. It is, in my opinion, the most beautiful state in the US.

I don't often listen to the sort of country that one might find on the radio (that is, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, etc.), though I occasionally do tune in to a country station.

My favorite band at the moment, 16 Horsepower, is, to some extent, a country band, as is Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots. Munly's other band, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, is much closer to "conventional" country, as is The Handsome Family.

Note that, on Myspace at least, all of these bands (with the odd exception of 16 Horsepower, which I consider the most Gothic of them all) list their genre as gothic/country or gothic/folk.

And yes, they're all in my iPod... which happens to be recovering from its little spin in the washing machine.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Encaitare

I'm not a fan of country, or even Southern rock. "Sweet Home Alabama" makes me want to drive nails into my eyes. I'm not really sure why. Most of it just rubs me the wrong way.

There are exceptions to everything, though. I think Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance" is a beautiful song.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Circle V

I think that a big part of it is the Southern accent of most country singers. Many people can't stand it-- that's why more polished mainstream country is more universally liked.

16 Horsepower

Jay Munly. I recommend 'Big Black Bull.'

Slim Cessna's Auto Club. They are, however, known more for their live show. Try the first video-- it's one of the most frightening things I've ever seen, even if the sound recording is low-quality.

And, of course, Johnny Cash.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Circle V

I forgot The Handsome Family. Their sound is less blatantly dark than that of, say, 16 Horsepower, but their lyrics are excellent. They are written by the female half of the group, a Southern Gothic author.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
BlackButterfly

I like "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'", "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and "Battle of the Banjos" among other things. (The latter two mainly because I gained a new respect for them after having seen them played live--it's amazing to watch!)

I have the most broadband tastes in music, I can probably say I honestly like at least one song from almost every"genre I've heard. I think that it's not fair to say that you sincerely don't like an entire genre just based on a few songs you've heard. That's like saying you hate a band when you've only heard one song (and that song may have not been the best one). Some groups and artists get lumped into a genre that do diverse kinds of music (like the all-encompassing "alternative" genre).
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
Delicate_Torture

I love John Denver!

I also really enjoy listening to Tammy Wynette and Patsy Cline. But I really really love John Denver.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Crying_Crimson_Tears

There are some country artists I like. I even have them on my iPod. For instance, I really like Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban. Shania Twain and Faith Hill aren't too bad either. I know there are some songs I really like by other artists, I just can't think of them right now. I don't like all country music but I do like some here and there.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
I like "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"...
Ok, slightly off-topic, but did you see the Jessica Simpson remake's music video?! Funniest shit I've seen in a long time. Youtube it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
BlackButterfly

::cries::

That was mean, DHD! I couldn't even watch the entire thing.

Now I have to Youtube some Johhny Cash to get that excrement out of my head. Hmmm... "Ring of Fire" and "Walk the Line" should do...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
DarkHeartedDemoness

If you didn't watch the whole thing, you couldn't see why it was funny, though! See, first off, she's giving lap dances in a bar. And she's wearing red cowboy boots. Then, some guy grabs her ass, so she grinds up against him and then punches him out. This starts a bar fight with every man in the bar, and Willie Nelson even makes a brief cameo to smash a beer bottle over someone's head. Pretty soon, all the guys in the bar are down on the ground, so logically, they start to crawl away to make room for the line dancing women. Then, suddenly and sporadically, it cuts to Jessica Simpson washing a car in her bikini, and guess what she's wearing on her feet? Not boots. Just nothing.

That was the most ridiculous concept for a music video... And I laugh every time I see it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
BlackButterfly

I made it to the part where the dance team showed up. I agree that what I saw up to that point (especially the Willie Nelson bit) was funny, but I couldn't bear her annoying voice and ceaseless wiggling.

c130
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Paigeybobert

I really don't like Country, their voices are really annoying.
Sometimes the guitars are good.
I do love rap though, i'm gangster like that. ;D
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
I made it to the part where the dance team showed up. I agree that what I saw up to that point (especially the Willie Nelson bit) was funny, but I couldn't bear her annoying voice and ceaseless wiggling.
Yeah, she's an annoying ho... I don't think I really started laughing until the bikini scene, because as strange and hilariously disconnected as the dance team was, the bikini was worse.

I have much more to say, but I think I'm going to make a "Hilarious Music Videos" thread and put it in there. I feel like other people might have input of value.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
ashleyxnicole

I happen to love country. Not the mainstream stuff really.
I love bluegrass, folk, etc etc.
I really just love what I love.
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Circle V

I love the whole "Denver Sound" movement-- that is, a group of recent alt-country bands out of Denver that includes Slim Cessna's Auto Club and 16 Horsepower. I'm starting to get into cowpunk, psychobilly, and other unholy crossbreeds.

I like some rap, now that Paigeybobert mentions it.

I'm listening to Jay Munly (and the Lee Lewis Harlots) right now. Dark country with no guitars-- the band consists of the singer, two violinists, a cellist, and a drummer.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
PersephoneX

think Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance" is rancid. They made us sing it to our Matrics in Grade 11...and i wanted to rip my own arms off and beat myself with the bloody stumps.

And if your wife leaves you, and your favourite cow dies and your car blows up, its ammo for writing a country song....
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
the_dude

im so down with merle haggard. totally a hag fan. and ofcourse some cash is good. and im into blue grass. in a way, it's like the american version of norse folk metal. just not as cool.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #20
PersephoneX

Uh...want to translate that?
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #21
Byrnsweord

For me, it really is the tunes. They all sounds similar, but I also hate that sentence. I ask the person to explain why they hate country and rap so much. I actually do listen to some rap, but it's Polish and Ukrainian rap.
Byrnsweord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Some of my most listened to music is country...
Chris LeDoux and the Saddle Boogie Band
Pat Green (good memories there)
Robert Earl Keene
Willy, of course
Ian Tyson (has some very beautiful ballads)
Garth Brooks (some of his stuff, definitly not all of it)

Then again, I live in very rural Wyoming, and am subjected to it every time I go to a bar. It is quite amusing when I walk into a room filled with cowboys Yet, to get it out of the way, I have cowboy'd as well :O
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
homo-adonis

I think old school country and folk music 1940s - 50s was pretty cool and inspirational but modern country to me is the worst kind of pop music out there. One band that someone turned me onto a few years back called "Tarnation" out of New Mexico is outstanding. Not sure what they are classified under but the mood is captured with very twangy guitars and melancholy female vocals . I think most people reading this board will dig them.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #24
Circle V

I'll see if I can find any of their music, adonis.

I agree about mainstream modern country-- most of it is quite terrible, but I think that it's better than mainstream modern rock, in general.

However, there are some great alt-country bands out there now that would never have existed in the mid-1900s.

Anyone heard Hank Williams III's music? It's traditional-sounding outlaw country, but with dark but fun subject matter. Very hellbilly.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #25
emeraldlonewoulf

as far as country is concerned, does anybody like Big n' Rich, or Gretchen Wilson? When they first let loose on the scene, it was a welcome change, but i think they are being overplayed and copied too much. Still like Cowboy Troy though. He combines all kinds of musical style. you gotta love a big black guy in wranglers....

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote