Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Booze Hernandez

Question Making Clothes

My first post.

ANYWAY

My friends and I used to talk about where goths get their crazy outfits cuz we could never find a goth outlet store. Came here, and suddenly they dual-role as craftsmen/women.
wat?

How does this happen? I need a broad overview; I possess much confuse.
Booze Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
ape descendant

Yeah, making one's own clothes can save one TONS of money... you'd be surprised how much those "crazy outfits" can cost.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Azareal Crow

Well Goth is one of those subcultures that's largely about self expression so one way to do that is through your clothes, even if you buy the same outfit as everyone else something as simple as tweaking it makes it uniquely yours. What better way to really put all of who you are into an outfit than to make it from start to finish.

It also depends on where you live and whatnot, I find that most of the Goths around my area buy their stuff, or get someone to custom make it if they are really into it.

I D.I.Y. cause clothes are too expensive and I can get like 6 yds of fabric for the same price as one nice skirt and make a whole outfit.
Azareal Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
OnyxBat

Start off small and try to alter suff. I bought a long sleeve black hoodie from old navy and stitched on some cat ears that I make from fabric and cardboard.
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
ape descendant

Oooh how cute!!! Cat ear hoodie!!! That makes me want to pinch your cute little bat-cheek.

I don't know if ever watch threadbanger, but they have a thing for a "monster hoodie" with teeth and eye balls... its cute... but not as cute as kittie ears....

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
OnyxBat

Why thank you!!!!!!!! *Thousands hug to you ape!*
Yeah I have to check that out, I went to Florida and I saw this store that a shark hoodie with fins and the hood part had teeth.
(my mom tells me I look like a demented cat)
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Breathless Horror

DIY OR DIE MUTHAFUCKA!!!!!! What Ape said, even if it's a tiny change, you've got something that it's really, REALLY unlikely you'll see someone with the exact thing.

Personally, not being a crazy goth, my DIY is kept fairly simple; patches, studs, cutting. amd the occasional splash of bleach. I really gotta redo my vest, but the thought of having to pull out 350 studs makes me die a little inside.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Saya

You bitches need to knit more.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Hearts_Purple

Booze Hernandez: You come on this board to post inane drivel like this you stupid fucking twat? Piss the fuck off and go away. Idiot.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
ThenAgain

Well that was unnecessarily rude.
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThenAgain View Post
Well that was unnecessarily rude.
No, it wasn't. You can tolerate all the fucktards coming here to see the 'freaks' all you want. I won't.

Obviously the OP is a dumbass with no Google-Fu.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Booze Hernandez

Dude. Lighten up. I gotta find out what you folks are like somehow, I don't exactly see them around where I live. Soz if I offended.

Erryone else: Thanks for your perspective!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze Hernandez View Post
Soz if I offended.
Don't apologize. You did a fairly reasonable thing, and while yeah, your original post somewhat lacked direction, you came wanting to learn more.

Hearts: He never said freaks, you did. He was just curious. So fuck you too you twat, people like you are the reason people think goths are unstable, anti-social, assholes.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror View Post
Don't apologize. You did a fairly reasonable thing, and while yeah, your original post somewhat lacked direction, you came wanting to learn more.

Hearts: He never said freaks, you did. He was just curious. So fuck you too you twat, people like you are the reason people think goths are unstable, anti-social, assholes.
Dumbasses like you who tolerate idiots are the reaason people think we're all pussies.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Booze Hernandez

There's a difference between being strong and bold and being an asshole.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
There's a difference between being strong and bold and being an asshole.
Why are you here? Did you really think it was a good idea to insult the intelligence of those of us who DIY by making a post that pretty much says "I had no idea Goths were smart enough to sew!"? If you found out that someone who wasn't Goth could sew and DIY would your surprise be just as profound?

The only 'asshole' I see here is someone who is not a part of the subculture joining a forum to ask silly questions when you damn well could have googled it.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
Azareal Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
Why are you here? Did you really think it was a good idea to insult the intelligence of those of us who DIY by making a post that pretty much says "I had no idea Goths were smart enough to sew!"? If you found out that someone who wasn't Goth could sew and DIY would your surprise be just as profound?

The only 'asshole' I see here is someone who is not a part of the subculture joining a forum to ask silly questions when you damn well could have googled it.
That's not a fair assumption although I can see where you could read it like that. I think what the OP is expressing is more an overwhelming shock at how much of the community makes their clothes rather than buying them.
How can you tell that he is not a part of the subculture?

Booze Hernandez: I don't think there is such a thing as a "goth outlet store" there are goth shops, and stores that cater to the "gothicly inclined" and they tend to be very expensive places. Goth fashion can also be pieced together from black clothes found in regular clothing stores.
Statements such as "we could never find a goth outlet store" and "How does this happen? I need a broad overview; I possess much confuse." are the types of statements that'll get your head bitten off here.

I've noticed that quite a few of the people here seem to forget that we were all noobs once and simply need guidance.
Azareal Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Hearts_Purple

Exclamation

He is obviously not a Goth because he refers to us as 'you people'. I'm used to people being surprised at the things I do because they don't expect someone who is a hausfrau or Goth to do much or think much.

There are less offensive ways the OP could've posted their inquiry.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Booze Hernandez

Or maybe I was just surprised that people sew clothes for their daily clothing. I grew up in a world of Old Navy and Sears.

And just for clarification, I think it's cool as fuck to make your own clothes. I never really thought outside the box before.

Regarding being goth, I'm trying it on for size to see if it fits or not. I don't know if that's offensive or not, so 'piss off' in advance.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Or maybe I was just surprised that people sew clothes for their daily clothing. I grew up in a world of Old Navy and Sears.

And just for clarification, I think it's cool as fuck to make your own clothes. I never really thought outside the box before.

Regarding being goth, I'm trying it on for size to see if it fits or not. I don't know if that's offensive or not, so 'piss off' in advance.
If you are new to the subculture I suggest googling the word 'goth' and all things associated with it, music(especially), literature, art, clothing & makeup. If you are olde enough to go out clubbing I suggest that, as well.

Goth is not normally something one 'tries on for size', you will feel drawn to it or not because of your own natural leanings.

You seem to have a 'take no shit' attitude, but you can be reasoned with. You may thrive here.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
ThenAgain

And that's a pleasing outcome.
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
Hearts_Purple

Like I give a shit what pleases you?

^_^
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
Pineapple_Juice

Every day I see you post I hate you a little more.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #24
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Every day I see you post I hate you a little more.
Awww, ain't that cute?

^_^
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
No, it wasn't. You can tolerate all the fucktards coming here to see the 'freaks' all you want. I won't.

Obviously the OP is a dumbass with no Google-Fu.
Oh, get the fuck over yourself. Someone just expressed an interest in making clothes, and you act like they tried to give you an anal probe or something.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote