Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2951
Entity0013

Anyone ever read any Anne Rice? I never have but it seems like the best case scenario for the moment...
Entity0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #2952
Saya

I wouldn't recommend her to anyone. Her prose is fine but there's just something really lifeless about the way she writes, in my experience. I've only read Interview With A Vampire and Servant Of The Bones though, and to be fair the first half of Servant was actually good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Agatha Christie? You disgust me!
Its a quick read, and I hate how gory more modern mysteries are. After Girl With The Dragon Tattoo I've grown quite an appreciation for Christie.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #2953
Entity0013

Hmm maybe I'll put a little effort into my search..
Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #2954
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
there's just something really lifeless about the way she writes
I find this highly amusing (cuz, ya know, she writes about vampires and stuff)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #2955
Entity0013

Ah, missed that. Ha! Found Michael Crichton's Sphere, never read anything by him before justI vaguely remember a movie so it is what I'm going with.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 AM   #2956
Acharis

The thing with Anne Rice is that she writes with lavish detail, but the plot tends to meander. She also works the interview-as-story device quite a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entity0013 View Post
Ah, missed that. Ha! Found Michael Crichton's Sphere, never read anything by him before justI vaguely remember a movie so it is what I'm going with.
Pick up 'Prey' if you're into science fiction, the interpersonal sub-story annoys me but predatory evolving swarm of robots are wicked. I'm not sure the science is watertight but it gives an interesting look at nanotechnology.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #2957
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I find this highly amusing (cuz, ya know, she writes about vampires and stuff)
I wish I caught that so I could add: http://instantrimshot.com/

Reading Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So far I don't love it as much as I loved Let The Right One In, but its still pretty good and I can't put it down, which is inconvenient since I have to get up early.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #2958
Darcnyss

R.A. Salvatore's Promise of the Witch King. Interesting seeing Artemis Entreri in the lead role for a change.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #2959
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I wish I caught that so I could add: http://instantrimshot.com/

Reading Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So far I don't love it as much as I loved Let The Right One In, but its still pretty good and I can't put it down, which is inconvenient since I have to get up early.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bothered you but you loved Let the Right One In? Remember the acid and the skin and the...ugh. I mean, it's an excellent book. But Lindqvist makes me squirm way more than Larsson ever has... I made my way through the entire Girl trilogy without ever taking a nausea break. Can't say the same for Let the Right One In.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #2960
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bothered you but you loved Let the Right One In? Remember the acid and the skin and the...ugh. I mean, it's an excellent book. But Lindqvist makes me squirm way more than Larsson ever has... I made my way through the entire Girl trilogy without ever taking a nausea break. Can't say the same for Let the Right One In.
Oh, I should have clarified. They were too "shocky" to me, like the rrape scenes and the SPOILER SPOILER: killer turning out to be the mild mannered brother who actually is a psycho serial killer who's been killing for fun for years, and no one ought to know this. With Christie its not gory, but a lot of thought went in behind whodunit and why, and you make your logical guess before the big reveal. The only one so far where I felt like it could have been anybody in the book turned out that it actually was everybody. with GWTDT it was just "AND ISNT THIS SICKENING AND HORRIFYING?!" when the killer was revealed, and it could have been anyone else and lose nothing. The only surprise was the twist about the victim. I also understand the the original title was Men Who Hate Women, but did the main character have to be the only man in the book who wasn't in any way an ass, and look at all the pussy he gets because he is the only man in the world who isn't an ass? The relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael I thought was really weird particularly, I know Larsson was traumatized after witnessing a rrape and I don't like picking at things that are created as a healing tool, but if you don't know that about Larsson its really easy to take the book as a "finally the Nice Guy finishes first" kind of thing.

With Let The Right One In, the pedophilia thing I didn't enjoy, obviously, but the whole point of the book was to scare the shit out of you and scare the shit out of me it did, like vampire book should.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #2961
wolf moon

Well that makes sense. I was comparing them purely from a squickiness factor and was surprised at your preference. I didn't know any of Larsson's background. My mom found the Girl trilogy in a bookstore in Sweden a while ago, and I read them all up rather delightedly but never did any research on them. Now they're available here and I suddenly have people to discuss them with, which is sort of awesome. I keep hearing completely different interpretations and it's making me want to go back and re-read.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #2962
Saya

I read it earlier this year after it was pumped up as the most feminist thing ever, so you can imagine my disappointment.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #2963
wolf moon

Yeah, most people read Lisbeth in a way that I find confusing. I mostly just see her as a badass Machead.

Currently reading A Jealous Ghost. It's surprisingly engaging.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #2964
CuckooTuli

J. G. Ballard - Drowned World. A lot less freaky than I was expecting after Crash - seems like a straight up sci-fi so far. Good though.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #2965
raggedyanne

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

A commentary on women in North Africa with a subtly post-apocalyptic, magical-realism twist. Beautifully written and quite gripping!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #2966
*~Necromantic_Lovely~*

Novels of varying Horror...

I just finished American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, and I'm now reading ****** by Vladimir Nabokov. It is a very intriguing novel, fascinating in its own way; like a lot of the novels I read, not for the faint of heart.
*~Necromantic_Lovely~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #2967
Saya

Except The Dying by Maureen Jennings.

I stayed up late to finish it, and I kinda wish I didn't now. The book isn't bad but the ending is such a let down. I understand who the murderer was, but the motive is barely explained. It was just like "this insignificant character turns out to be a complete psycho sexual predator but we're not going to explain his connection to the victim at all."
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #2968
Grausamkeit

BDSM erotica.....shut...up.....

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #2969
NapalmCow

Last Exit to Brooklyn
NapalmCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #2970
slykitsune

I just finished reading Pale Demon from Kim Harrison. I cant wait for the next book! I absolutely love Al! Now Im reading Vampire Kisses 8.
slykitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #2971
Miss Absynthe

An Introduction to Crime and Criminology, by Hennessey, Hayes and Prenzler.

Thrilling, I know. :|
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #2972
gothique noir

I'm reading Dance of Death by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and a book for my review site, The Hoax by Adrienne Jones.

I'm enjoying both a lot.

The review book is so good so far, I've taken a look at what the author has on Amazon (there are 4 other books) and am seriously considering getting all 4. If The Hoax holds together, Jones is going to be someone to watch.
gothique noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #2973
Saya

So I tried reading The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, but eventually it just pissed me off too much. I was reading it because, confession, I really do love vampires, but it seems like most vampire books now are romance novels, and I was promised this wasn't. Well, its not, but its probably more misogynistic than Twilight, although its a lot more honest about being misogynistic. It takes place hundreds of years ago so I get that a lot of the male characters aren't feminists, but the way he describes women and writes them is really troubling too. Most of them are rraped, killed and murdered, and described as sexy and voluptuous. Even an 11 year old girl gets her naked body described in uncomfortable ways, is rraped and later murdered. The only two other prominent women who aren't evil witches are virgins who do fuck all. And one of them is impregnated by a spell a mage puts on her, and a werewolf falls in love with her but she views him more as a friend and falls in love with the vampire who is obsessed with her from the first time he sees her OH WAIT THIS IS LIKE TWILIGHT AFTER ALL ISNT IT.

My roommate is a huge Agatha Christie fan and keeps giving me books to read, so I'm reading Murder At The Vicarage until I'm over my vampire rage and I'll continue my search for a decent vampire book.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #2974
Jonathan

Lev Grossman, "The Magicians".
Loving it.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #2975
Saya

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest.

Surprisingly good so far, not poorly written but not great, but I'm not a fan of stream of consciousness narration so that could just be my personal taste. But a likeable vampire protagonist who kills? So far, I'm in.