Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
aspiring

Beggining to sew, DIY tips?

I am going to start sewing, since pretty much everything I own is a few vital stiches away from what I want it to be, and there are alot of little things I'd want to do.

If any of you sew, then what kind of machine do you use? Where did you get it? How much was it?

And, do you know of any good books that'd help a begginer sew?

(aside from Sewing for Dummies....)
aspiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
SomeoneNamedEmily

I use a Singer from the 1960s that my grandmother didn't have room or a use for anymore.

If you're a beginner looking to do mostly alterations, then you're probably better off using a simple machine with just a few stitches, so that you have fewer buttons to be confused by. You can find them at a lot of superstores-- I've seen some for several hundred dollars (cheap for a new sewing machine) at Wal-Mart, and a lot of Sears stores sell miniature craft machines that are great for hems, embellishments, and tailoring, though probably not sturdy enough to make, say, a boned corset.

Many fabric stores offer free tutorials with the purchase of a machine. You can find instructions for just about anything on YouTube. I suggest searching amazon.com for sewing books.

No matter what machine you decide on, MAKE SURE to spend some time experimenting with stitches and technique on scraps of several different kinds of fabric, so that you learn how your machine does and doesn't work before you ruin your favorite velvet jacket. Also be sure to keep it oiled and to make sure you're using the right kind of needle for the fabric you're sewing-- needle packages say what kind of cloth they're reccommended for, and store employees are more than happy answer any questions you might have if you ask nicely.
SomeoneNamedEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Hearts_Purple

Just do it. You learn far more from experience than having someone show you how everything's done.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Pineapple_Juice

I use a Babylock Denim Pro that I inherited from my grandmother. It works on everything except denim.

Alterations are easy with a machine when you learn the basics. Just know your machine, what everything does and why, and you can start from there.

Always put the foot down before you sew and make sure to backstitch. When you're sewing stretch fabrics it's better to use a zig-zag stitch so the thread won't tear due to not having any give. Start with something simple like a pillowcase so you can get the hang of the basics and move on from there. Making pleats, ruffles, and darts are a hell of a lot easier when you tape the pieces of fabric together first and sew over them, then remove the tape. Make your pins all face the same direction and know that if your machine needle hits the pin it will often break the machine needle in two so be careful.

Those are just things that have helped me.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Azareal Crow

I have a Brother Ls2125i. I swear by a site called threadbanger I love them
Azareal Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
OnyxBat

You could go to walmart and they have books, machines, fabric, and patterns (which would make it an easy start). I think you should buy a second hand sewing machine because it's used and it will give you a good quality sew. Or you could get the brother brand sewing machine like azareal crow, have my own from that brand to.
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
ape descendant

Threadbanger is pretty awesome, they have a youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreadBanger

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Pineapple_Juice

Threadbanger is cool, but I like Craftster.org better, and sometimes even Punkrockdomestics has some good stuff, or even Cut Out + Keep.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
xXxRobynxXx

I use a Husquvarna Designer 1 which is a couple grand. But! For a beginner that obviously isn't necessary. I started out with a Singer and never had any problems, but I heard Brothers are pretty good as well. Both can be found at Wal-Mart or Jo-Anns from around $100-$300.
Like the other people said, start with doing alterations. Make shirts smaller, change the shape of sleeves, shorten pants, sew on patches.
A really important thing for a beginner is to pin EVERYTHING before you sew. It's a lot easier to sew straight lines when you're not worrying about the fabric slipping around. And always remove the pins before you sew over them or you can damage the top needle.
And of course, start out with very simple patterns, most people do pajama pants for their first project.
xXxRobynxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Pineapple_Juice

What?

Most people start off with pillowcases. Pants would be crazy hard for someone who's never seen a sewing machine before.

Then again, it did take me years to figure out how to properly sew so I may be mentally challenged.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
xXxRobynxXx

Pajama pants? I guess the crotch could be a slightly hard for a beginner but the rest is all straight lines.
xXxRobynxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Saya

I did pillowcases when I first learned to sew, but when I took a sewing class our second project was pajama pants, it wasn't hard for the people who never sewed before the class. First project was a tote bag.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
emeraldlonewoulf

For your first sewing machine, you can find cheap Singer and White machines (both dependable brands) all over the place in second hand shops, usually under $20. I have a singer out of the 70's that i paid 6 dollars for, and it does everything I need it to. Try it out at the store first, to make sure it functions properly, and if you are still concerned, take it to a sewing machine and vacuum place to have the innards cleaned. The fee for this plus the cost of the machine will still be far lower than a new machine would cost.Another advantage to some of these older machines, is that they are heavy enough to not move all over a flat surface, if you don't have a sewing machine table. You have to get fairly advanced before you need anything beyond a straight stitch and zig-zag, so all the new digitally programmed machines aren't really worth it for a beginner.

ALWAYS wash your fabric before you lay patterns and cut. Many new fabrics have sizing in them, it is kind of an anti-wrinkle/protective substance. You need to wash it out first, so the fabric behaves properly, and also so if it is going to shrink, it does it BEFORE the stitching holds it in place. I made this mistake once, being in a hurry, and it was the difference between a beautiful pillow sham before I washed it and a wrinkled, twisted up monstrosity afterward.

Pins and basting are your friend.

As with building anything, (because sewing is basically building something with fabric) measure twice (or three or four times), cut once.

Learn how to adjust thread tension! this will save you many hours of frustration!

Make sure the needle is facing the right way, is the right type, and the right size. Also make sure the bobbin is in the machine correctly, with the thread wound in the right direction. You can find manuals for specific machines all over the internet, if yours doesn't come with one.

Have fun!

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

Here is a web site that has supper easy stuff to make.
http://www.gothfashion.info/diy.php
I found the panel skirt fun and fast to make in about 3(ish) hrs. I spent more time picking out material. Hope this helps
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Pineapple_Juice

Bra pocket (because every girl does it):
http://sewing.about.com/od/adultclot.../brapocket.htm
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

FUZZY DICE
http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje.../fuzzydice.htm
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Pineapple_Juice

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347795.0
Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3372.0

This one is good to try. Doesn't involve buttons or a zipper or anything, just pleats, and those are kind of self explanatory.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
ape descendant

Before you're able to get a sewing machine, you may wish to learn some hand stitches for small repairs and projects.

P.S. I think we'd all love to be updated on your progress. Have you had the chance to do anything or is it all still in the works?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
DarkestSunrise

I got my Brother sewing machine (model LX-3125e) at Wal-Mart for $90. If there's any chance you haven't got one yet or if others are reading this looking for advice I'd check Craigslist and local yardsales and thrift shops for one if you want to go even cheaper or get more for your money. It's important to have the manual but you can order manuals online for even really old models now which is pretty handy.
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #21
parnuuna

Uuuh - sewing! It's nice to see that some people pick up sewing later in life. And don't only sew because they've learned it since they were kids. YAY. And congratulations on your decision.

I've always (until now) bought second hand sewing machines. I've even got some for free from people who had one in their basement and didn't use, because I showed enormous interest in sewing.

Now I'm studying to become a tailor, and bought myself a decent Pfaff Expression 2.0 and a Pfaff Coverlock 4.0. It's really useful, and wills ave you a lot of stress if you consider sewing A LOT, to have really decent machines.

But as a beginner, just make sure you have something that runs without faults. And as some have mentioned, you won't need to have a computerized sewing machine with tons of stitches to confuse you in the beginning.
In my opinion you just need something to try your sewing powers with, to see if it's something for you - after that, if it is - you can always upgrade your gear. ;P

I have a couple of easy tutorials you could check out if you wanted to.
They're at

BeMyGoth.com

Hope I could help.
parnuuna is offline   Reply With Quote