Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Circle V

Thanatophobia

What do you think about death?

Is fear of it justified? Should it be embraced? Rejected? Avoided? Ignored? Should we help along those who wish to experience it? Is death the goal, the end, the beginning? Does it matter? Does modern society take death too seriously or not seriously enough?

I don't know. Do you?

I realize that it's a cliche topic, but I am very interested in what you have to say.

Thank you.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

I don't really think there's something after death, but I don't worry about death.
But, to answer your question, something I always say:
Be afraid of death, but don't be scared of it

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Sanctus Dei

I am invincible therefore death is irrelevant.

But... as soon as I die, I may disagree with myself.

Fear? No, not death anyway... I'm more worried I won't accomplish anything while I wait.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
mortalitas incomitatus

why would you fear something that is unavoidable and could happen at any second?

thats just silly.

now spiders...i fear them.

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
But, to answer your question, something I always say:
Be afraid of death, but don't be scared of it
I agree with this. I fear death, but allowing that fear to affect my life negatively would be a terrible thing.

To clarify, I don't fear the process of dying much. I'm more afraid that my final thoughts will be, "But I wasn't finished!".

I think that to die without someone beside you is a great tragedy, and that is what I fear.

One of my characters on a fantasy roleplaying forum died recently (geeky, I know). His last thought was: Can't I at least die on my feet? He didn't. Another one of my characters fears being forgotten by the world after his death. Both of these characters reflect my own thoughts, duly magnified.

Just for fun, here's one of my angst-fueled (this was during The Great Angst of a few years ago) posts:

Devis paces around his room.

This isn't his fight, damn it. Or maybe it's the end of the world. He hopes it is. All of the fucking hate and ignorance erased in a moment. All that's left of the world is just the memory of a nightmare, surfacing in decayed pieces, like the bodies of all the captains who went down with their damn ships.

Even if the world is doomed to end as just another bad memory in the collective mind of the uncaring gods, Devis wants to be part of it. Not as just another crazy poet, churning out feeble songs as full of fabricated anger as they are full of goddamn lies, but as someone who made some sort of difference in the fucking rotting corpse that is this world. He wants to stare the gods in the eye and then stab it out, make them remember him somehow. If not the gods, then the whole damn world.

If he dies, he hopes the earth chokes on his corpse as it pulls him down into the dirt with the rest of the heretics.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

I actually can't imagine not finishing everything I want to do. Life really seems too long for me, but then again, I've only lived 16 years. Anyway, just one thought about myself and death: I want to die beautiful or die young

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Sanctus Dei

Well, I've done nothing I want to yet... and I'm almost 1/3 dead, so not accomplishing my goals is a big fear for me.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

I'm sorry Santarea, but right now, two years from now, an eternity later, and after time ceases to be, I will always be Ana's

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, the problem is, I don't have a camera, and I don't go out very often, but as soon as I go out with a friend that has a camera, I'll post it on my intro page (though I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you)

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
mortalitas incomitatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
That makes a lot more sense, dear.

Cuz a big scary spider might stomp you.

HEY!

i watch horror movies i know what those creepy crawlys are capable of.....

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, there is a pic of me, but with my new haircut, I don't think I look the same at all, but, if you want to get a glimpse of how do I look, Xnguela, just say so, and I'll post it for now.
And, yes, my Valentines was perfect. I posted on the What did you do Today thread what did I get for her and what did she get for me. She's such a goddess!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Ok, I'll post it tomorrow, I was supposed to be asleep an hour ago

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
Tall One In Black

I don't really think about death.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
I think I'm more afraid of people I love dying.
I woke up really late at night on Xmas Eve with that in mind. I'm really scared for my father, I see him ending up with the same condition as my grandfather. I often think about death when I'm going to bed & sometimes it keeps me awake. Last night I thought "What is it like to die with your eyes open?". I've gradually accepted that there may be nothing after death, but I'd just like to die happy.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Oh, there is a pic of me, but with my new haircut, I don't think I look the same at all, but, if you want to get a glimpse of how do I look, Xnguela, just say so, and I'll post it for now.
And, yes, my Valentines was perfect. I posted on the What did you do Today thread what did I get for her and what did she get for me. She's such a goddess!
Post that picture, BOI!

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #16
WolfMoon

I don't fear death so much as the possibility that there is only Oblivion afterwards.

Even if there is a 'heaven' or a 'hell' that I might reside in, it would be better than nothingness.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
Queenofdarkness57

I think death is a new beginning. I believe in reincarnation, it makes a lot of sense to me! I don't know if it's only with me, but the more I think about death, the more I'm prepared to face it. I don't think it should be ignored, it's part of life, hence we should embrace it. People who wish to die, should be shown the good things in life and that's how we could help them. Life's a a gift we must treasure, and too short to spend most of it thinking when it's going to end.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #18
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
I thought you were a Christian?
I'm a christian, but that doesn't mean my beliefs are limited.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #19
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
If you're a Christian, you should believe in heaven...

I don't think you can just pick and choose.
Well,I believe everyone's equal. So how can things be balanced in such a short period of time. This might be funny, but I'm convinced with it. I think we go to heaven and then God chooses our other life. And btw, I dont think hell exists!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
succubus,queenofvampires

When I was younger,I used to be really afraid of people I love dying.But now,I just try,as much as possible,to live each day by itself and try to make the best out of it as if it were my last.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #21
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Bad Christian! Bad! You should be ashamed! Give me your hand!

*smacks back of your hand*

Bad!
Hehe! Oh well, that's my opinion! DO you think Jesus's going to be mad at me? *sniffs*
Old 02-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #22
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
So you're certainly not Christian then. it's fine what you believe, but don't call it Christian. I seems to more resemble Buddhism.
Well, it's kind of a combination! It feels so weird saying that!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #23
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
If you know it's a combination, I don't think you should go touting yourself as a Christian. You'll end up offending a lot of people.

You should call it Buddtian. Or Christism.
Hey you know, I've never thought about it as something which is bad or offending. Geisha you mae it feel wrong and strange! I can't give up on my beliefs so easily just because I don't share all of them.
And btw Christism is good! hehe * thumbs up*
Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #24
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
I certainly am not trying to make you feel bad, and if you feel that way, I apologize. I also not saying give up your beliefs. Your beliefs are fine.
No need to apologize! It just felt kind of strange, but my twisted beliefs are mine so I'll stick to them, regardless my religion. Goodnight
Old 02-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #25
DrenchedInGin

Circle, a question after my own heart.

I'm fascinated with death. I think it's because at heart, I'm an utter coward. So long ago when I first realised the inevitability of it, I realised that I'd better get used to the idea, and fast. This sounds strange my dears, but the one thing I'm most frightened of is being frightened of dying. I'm horrified that the fear of death could interrupt my life, or that my manner of death will make me forget how good my life has been.

Also, I suffer from rather bad depression, and I don't liike to feed the Big Black Dog, if you know what I mean...

So I got myself familiar with the concept of death, and tried to understand it in every form. I've become somewhat of a Thanatophile... NO! not in that nasty way, you naughty people :-)

I mean that I've learned to accept it as a rich and meaningful part of life. I'm not sure I mind too much what happens after dealth (as long as the Christians aren't *completely* rightl, because I don't fancy ending up in any version of Hell, thanks very much) but I am desperately hoping that however I die, it won't be the one thing people remember about me.

My father has had a very serious form of cancer and he is living under the shadow of death every day. It's been good for him, he's started to really enjoy living properly. And not too long ago he said to me 'Gin, a death is not the sum of a life.' That's pretty profound for my little short English dad!

I agree with him though. Death is an important thing to accept and embrace, but it's just one part of life. So no matter whether I'm ready for it or not, I don't want it to be such a big deal that my loved ones can't handle it.

Last edited by DrenchedInGin; 02-16-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Edited because I'm being dyslexic today
DrenchedInGin is offline   Reply With Quote