Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
LetheanBlacklight

oh yeah, it's just like the gibsons. those toothed gears are what adjust the bridge, looking at the guitar from bottom up, counter clockwise turns should raise the bridge.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Anarasha

So I just raise the bridge slightly?
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
LetheanBlacklight

Exactly, raising the bridge raises the action on the guitar.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #29
Anarasha

Do I need any tools to raise it?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
LetheanBlacklight

well, for that, I've actually used my hands, though that can be pretty tough, a wrench or pliers should be fine just don't use them too hard
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #31
Anarasha

Fair enough. Thanks mate
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #32
Anarasha

I just raised it slightly. I can certainly hear the difference. I am gonna work on it tomorrow.
I discovered that the bridge on this guitar has screws on top of it that you can screw with a flat screwdriver in order to adjust the bridge. Very convenient
Thanks mate, it helped a LOT.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
LetheanBlacklight

no problemo
Old 01-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #34
blindNsect

Now clean the dust off.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #35
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I usually don't necro threads but I had a question for the guitarists here on Gnet, this one seems appropriate enough:

My old acoustic steel string guitar was stolen a couple of years ago, and because I have a couple of electrics I wasn't in a hurry to replace it, but this weekend I am buying a new acoustic, but since I haven't played acoustic for a while, I was thinking of buying a nylon string guitar (Yamaha most likely) but was wondering if I would be able to replace the nylon strings with steel ones after my calluses grow back. Are acoustic guitars made to be only steel or only nylon or do you think I can pull a switcheroo? Since I intend on spending some reasonable amount of money to get a quality guitar I don't want to ruin the neck, machines or bridge by using strings it wasn't sold with if changing them will damage it.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #36
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
I usually don't necro threads but I had a question for the guitarists here on Gnet, this one seems appropriate enough:

My old acoustic steel string guitar was stolen a couple of years ago, and because I have a couple of electrics I wasn't in a hurry to replace it, but this weekend I am buying a new acoustic, but since I haven't played acoustic for a while, I was thinking of buying a nylon string guitar (Yamaha most likely) but was wondering if I would be able to replace the nylon strings with steel ones after my calluses grow back. Are acoustic guitars made to be only steel or only nylon or do you think I can pull a switcheroo? Since I intend on spending some reasonable amount of money to get a quality guitar I don't want to ruin the neck, machines or bridge by using strings it wasn't sold with if changing them will damage it.
You can put nylon strings on a steel string guitar if you have the truss rod adjusted to the sudden lack of tension. However, you can not do the opposite or you will find out quickly that guitar strings DO have enough tension to snap wood. If you want to see a bridge go flying across a room, go ahead. Typically, they are only meant to handle one kind or another.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote