Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #76
JCC

I was referring to how you called 'blackened death metal' 'blacked death metal'. I was just being an ass, though, I know it was a typo. I would say, though, that if doing something for 'personality reasons' makes an error void, then using a collective term for a band rather than a singular is also acceptable.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #77
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
I used to listen to Nightwish actually, but then they fired Tarja, and I honestly haven't even bothered listening to their stuff with the new singer.
The new singer`s terrible.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #78
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
The new singer`s terrible.
That's what I figured. Now my completely uninformed avoidance of her has some credibility.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #79
ape descendant

lol Would you like some blakened death metal with your blackend chicken?
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #80
ape descendant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Oh, and of course, everything by Moonsorrow...
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS! These dudes are AWESOME!! THANKYOU!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #81
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Why do we need empirical evidence to believe something? This smug anti-religion crusade worshipping at the altar of empiricism is preposterous, and only a fool would state that all a priori reasoning is void. That's not what bothers me terribly, though, it's the hammy and ridiculous delivery of such stupid reasoning that really gets me. When black metal talks about religion, it becomes like when Green Day talk about politics.
.... black metal aside. Who's smug? I asked a question, What is good about believing in something for which there isn't evidence? I'm not saying its bad, wrong, stupid or even just silly. I just asked why.

As far as the "hammy and ridiculous delivery of an anti-religious message in black metal goes, the bands that I've listened to are coming from more of an emotional point of view. Any one who's dealt with the mental and emotional damage that religion can inflict, can relate.

In some cases its more like a **** victim singing about how much they hate their rapist, than "greenday talking about politics".
Old 12-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #82
PortraitOfSanity

If you need to be convinced, go read an interview with Varg.

Dude's fucking nuttier than the Pope.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #83
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
.... black metal aside. Who's smug? I asked a question, What is good about believing in something for which there isn't evidence? I'm not saying its bad, wrong, stupid or even just silly. I just asked why.
Because there can be no empirical evidence, so I really don't give a shit what people believe about an infinite grey area to make it through the day, especially when, in the case of religion, it's more of a social phenomenon than a belief.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #84
ape descendant

Quote:
Because there can be no empirical evidence, so I really don't give a shit what people believe about an infinite grey area to make it through the day, especially when, in the case of religion, it's more of a social phenomenon than a belief.
Wha? How can there be" no empirical evidence"?

I don't really care about what other people believe as far as religion goes either.. as long as they're not trying to make laws based on it or bashing on my door, waving a book in my face.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #85
JCC

Quote:
Wha? How can there be" no empirical evidence"?

I don't really care about what other people believe as far as religion goes either.. as long as they're not trying to make laws based on it or bashing on my door, waving a book in my face.
You're never going to find empirical evidence that God doesn't exist, so people will either believe he does without knowing it, believe he doesn't without knowing it or sit on the fence. Of these options, sitting on the fence is most logical, but who cares which one anyone actually picks?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #86
VoidWork

Most bands have probably been mentioned, but my favourite black metal related bands are:

Bathory, Darkthrone, Burzum, Emperor, Satyricon, Enslaved, Abigor, Dissection, Blut aus Nord, Ulver, Taake, Summoning, Thy Primordial, Setherial, Dawn, Nagelfar, Naglfar, Desaster, Borknagar, Immortal, Moonsorrow, Månegarm, Anaal Nathrakh, Ancient, Windir, Limbonic Art, Tartaros, Odium, Mithotyn, Wyrd, ...
VoidWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #87
VoidWork

By the way, the notion of a higher being was introduced by man, so the believability of god depends on your estimation of humanity.
VoidWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #88
ape descendant

Quote:
You're never going to find empirical evidence that God doesn't exist, so people will either believe he does without knowing it, believe he doesn't without knowing it or sit on the fence. Of these options, sitting on the fence is most logical, but who cares which one anyone actually picks?
You don't have to prove that something doesn't exist. If some one wants to make a claim, thats fine, but the burden of proof lies with the one makeing the claim. If there's no evidence, there's no logical reason to believe.

It doesn't mean you can't believe...

And again.. I don't care what any one picks.. as long as they keep thier religion out of our laws.

So, you never really asnwered my question.. just got kinda huffy... *now I'm getting smug*
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #89
JCC

Quote:
You don't have to prove that something doesn't exist. If some one wants to make a claim, thats fine, but the burden of proof lies with the one makeing the claim. If there's no evidence, there's no logical reason to believe.

It doesn't mean you can't believe...

And again.. I don't care what any one picks.. as long as they keep thier religion out of our laws.

So, you never really asnwered my question.. just got kinda huffy... *now I'm getting smug*
Which question do you want me to answer?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #90
ape descendant

What is the good of believing in a thing for which there is no evidence?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #91
JCC

Quote:
What is the good of believing in a thing for which there is no evidence?
It gives the impression of guidance and compassion even in the emptiest of moments, reassures people in the face of the uncertainty of death and creates a spiritual community. Plus, it is, as I said before, more of a social phenomenon than a belief system. The religious are much more likely brought up with religion than convinced by it. And before you say how only the weak-minded need spiritual reassurance or something equally ridiculous: why do you think that people are atheists? It complements their view of independence and humanism, there's not all that much of a logical inclination to it beyond what is falsely attributed.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #92
ape descendant

Talking

Quote:
It gives the impression of guidance and compassion even in the emptiest of moments, reassures people in the face of the uncertainty of death and creates a spiritual community. Plus, it is, as I said before, more of a social phenomenon than a belief system. The religious are much more likely brought up with religion than convinced by it.
See, that wasn't so hard... *wink* Thanks for the thinky talk.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #93
JCC

Back on the subject of black metal, I've heard good things about the new Krallice record.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #94
ape descendant

There are many reasons for people to lack a belief in god or gods.

Some people rationally reject the idea of the supernatural.

Some people are emotional atheists.

Some people never hear about the idea of god.

Now, just because some one is an atheist, doesn't mean they're not religious. Some sects of Druids, shamans, raelians and some budhists are atheists, yet still believe in some aspect of the supernatural.

Not all atheists are humanists, stoics or materialists.

Personally, I decided to purge my mind of the cognative dissonance that my religious beliefs were causing me. I decided to strive to think and live my life in a more logical and rational manner.

I don't expect every one else to do that any more than I expected every one else to be pagan when I was one.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #95
JCC

Quote:
Personally, I decided to purge my mind of the cognative dissonance that my religious beliefs were causing me. I decided to strive to think and live my life in a more logical and rational manner.
You mean independence and humanism? Aight bro.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #96
ape descendant

Smile

Quote:
You mean independence and humanism? Aight bro.
...I'm not a humanist, and I don't' know what you mean by independence, independence from what?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #97
Saya

Quote:
some budhists are atheists, yet still believe in some aspect of the supernatural.
Assuming you mean Buddhists, you can't drag us into this as the idea of not clinging to preconceived truths is pretty important for practice. Believing that there is no god at all would mean that if there is a god or higher power you wouldn't be able to find that truth, so its considered best to sit on the fence until you meet God. I do know Buddhists who say "there is no God," but it contradicts the religion.

Besides, most Buddhist traditions if not all do talk of an "Ultimate Reality" not unlike the Tao, so mostly its just that Buddhists have a different idea of what "God" is and I assume any "atheist" Buddhists just want to make it clear that they don't believe in the Judeo-Christian concept of God.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #98
JCC

Quote:
...I'm not a humanist, and I don't' know what you mean by independence, independence from what?
Independence from the dogma of organised religion. "cognitive dissonance" is big boy talk for "Ideas were being placed upon me that I didn't agree with".

Can we talk about black metal now?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #99
Saya

JCC, recommend a band to me.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #100
JCC

Peste Noire.