Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #26
emma o

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
i'm getting my septum stretched to 2.4mm soon WOOH!

Yes...it's a pretty pointless post...I just want to tell someone.
Coolness! Beware, you might find yourself wanting heavier and heavier rings to your nose and soon you will have it 5mm as I do at the moment .
emma o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #27
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Ok, alot has already been said. Any good piercer can start you at a 4 gauge, but you will need to heal completely between the time it is pierced and the first time you can stretch, which depends on the person... maybe a month, maybe three. I started at a 14, then went to 10, 6, 4, and finally I am at a O. If you go to a good shop, they will "skip" sizes, but it is safe. Say you are at 14. They take you to a 10, but they run a 12 taper through, then the 10. I have had no problem with my gauges, I went from a 14 to a O in about a month and a half. I never "blew out" my ears, but yet again, that is because I have a good piercer. They will know if it will work or not. Once the initial piercing heals it is only a matter of days or maybe at the far end, a week or two until you can gauge again. Just be prepared. You will always want to go bigger. I'm as big as I can go at the moment, unless I get rid of a few other holes to make room for bigger and better plugs. Oh, and if you want some real fun, gauge your nipples. Yet again I started at 14, and took them to 10. THAT was a fun and exciting.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
kwaniesiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Gnar Gnar
Ok, alot has already been said. Any good piercer can start you at a 4 gauge, but you will need to heal completely between the time it is pierced and the first time you can stretch, which depends on the person... maybe a month, maybe three. I started at a 14, then went to 10, 6, 4, and finally I am at a O. If you go to a good shop, they will "skip" sizes, but it is safe. Say you are at 14. They take you to a 10, but they run a 12 taper through, then the 10. I have had no problem with my gauges, I went from a 14 to a O in about a month and a half. I never "blew out" my ears, but yet again, that is because I have a good piercer. They will know if it will work or not. Once the initial piercing heals it is only a matter of days or maybe at the far end, a week or two until you can gauge again. Just be prepared. You will always want to go bigger. I'm as big as I can go at the moment, unless I get rid of a few other holes to make room for bigger and better plugs. Oh, and if you want some real fun, gauge your nipples. Yet again I started at 14, and took them to 10. THAT was a fun and exciting.
Going from 14g-0g in a month and a half is WAY TOO FAST. Your ears may seem fine now, but there's likely a lot of scar tissue which can prevent further stretching. No good piercer would ever stretch that fast one someone. Also stretching that fast can cause the "Cat butt effect" which makes the fistula appear to have wrinkes like around the anus of a cat, as well as other problems. That's attractive... A month and a half is just around enough time to go from 14-12g.
https://www.bodyartforms.com/forumsV...sp?TOPIC_ID=21

Stretching should NEVER cause excessive pain or bleeding. If it is, you did something wrong. Oh, and gauging is not the proper term. It's stretching. Sorry, but that's one of my biggest pet peeves. "Gauging" would be taking a ruler up to them and measuring it. Stretching would be increasing the size of the fistula in order to wear larger jewerly. You wouldn't say you "miled" or "kilometered" in your car to get to your friend's house, would you?
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaniesiam

Stretching should NEVER cause excessive pain or bleeding. If it is, you did something wrong. Oh, and gauging is not the proper term. It's stretching. Sorry, but that's one of my biggest pet peeves. "Gauging" would be taking a ruler up to them and measuring it. Stretching would be increasing the size of the fistula in order to wear larger jewerly. You wouldn't say you "miled" or "kilometered" in your car to get to your friend's house, would you?
No, but if I'm increasing the gauge in my ear, I'm going to call it gauging. It's a slang term.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #30
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
No, but if I'm increasing the gauge in my ear, I'm going to call it gauging. It's a slang term.
*Clap, clap clap* And whatnot. Gauging is a pretty well recognized term for going up a size or two with a piercing.... but what do I know...
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #31
Mollins

'Gauging' is not a term recognised by the body mod community to be the same as 'stretching'. Ever.

On the OP question.

You want to pierce & stretch?

You've got a looooong wait, You'll need to wait at least 6 months after the initial piercing before you start stretching.

As for 'skipping sizes' sometimes it can be done, but only at smaller sizes, I myself go up by 2mm every time I stretch, just because I want to, my ears are completely fine, because I know what my body can handle.

But for time between stretching, it's generally accepted that about a month or more between stretches is a good time to wait.

Don't use acrylic tapers, they're horrible for your ears, you really are best to stretch at a piercing place, they've got all to proper equipment, and you can be sure everything is safe.

They won't skip sizes, if you say yo uwant to go to a size that's too big, they won't do it, they know more about how these things work than anyone here.
Mollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #32
Sanguine_Addiction

I was wondering if some one could give me their opinion.
I am 17.
I live in PA and I am living away from my parents.
I want to get some new piercings.
Would it be legal for one of the adults that I live with to sign for me?
My parents and I don't talk anymore.
Sanguine_Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #33
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine_Addiction
I was wondering if some one could give me their opinion.
I am 17.
I live in PA and I am living away from my parents.
I want to get some new piercings.
Would it be legal for one of the adults that I live with to sign for me?
My parents and I don't talk anymore.
If by adults you mean people that are 18, no.
They have to be your legal guardians, or no dice. If you find someone who will do it without legal consent, don't let them punch a hole in your face.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #34
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollins
'Gauging' is not a term recognised by the body mod community to be the same as 'stretching'. Ever.
It's much like calling tattoos "tats" - it's commonly done, but within the body modification community it's often a pet peeve. I've seen lots of piercers/piercing aficionados complain about the term "gauging," which technically means "measuring" or "estimating." Stretching is a far more accurate term.

People can use whatever terms they want, but I guarantee that if you say to a piercer "I want to gauge my ears" chances are they're going to wince a little bit and judge your piercing knowledge based on it.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #35
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma o
Coolness! Beware, you might find yourself wanting heavier and heavier rings to your nose and soon you will have it 5mm as I do at the moment .
I wouldn't be suprised if that does happen if i'm honest with you. I was thinking of stretching it to 3mm the other day, I have to stop myself with my pitiful will power. XD!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #36
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
People can use whatever terms they want, but I guarantee that if you say to a piercer "I want to gauge my ears" chances are they're going to wince a little bit and judge your piercing knowledge based on it.
Or, ya know, just assume that that's the term used where you come from.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #37
Mollins

The piercer won't do that, because it's not the correct term, 'stretching' is the accepted term, because it's what you're doing.

As others have said, 'gauging' would be measuring the hole.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollins
The piercer won't do that, because it's not the correct term, 'stretching' is the accepted term, because it's what you're doing.

As others have said, 'gauging' would be measuring the hole.
How about you just accept the fact that some people use slang, and that you cannot speak for all piercers?

It's really not a big deal.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #39
TopHaggardDoll

It doesn't make sense though.
A gauge is the size of the jewellery, so if you say you gauged your ears...you're saying...basically...."I sized my ears".

So...stretching does make a hell of alot more sense.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #40
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
It doesn't make sense though.
A gauge is the size of the jewellery, so if you say you gauged your ears...you're saying...basically...."I sized my ears".

So...stretching does make a hell of alot more sense.
Yes, yes it does. So what? I'm sure you use the word "cool." I'm not being an asshole saying "COOL DOES NOT MEAN THAT! COOL MEANS A SLIGHTLY LOW TEMPERATURE!" No.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #41
Mollins

Well y'see, the difference is, 'Cool' has more than one dictionary definition.

The dictionary definitions of the words 'Stretching' and 'Gauging' are completely different.

'Gauging' isn't slang, it's using the incorrect term.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #42
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Or, ya know, just assume that that's the term used where you come from.
Maybe, but why take the risk:

http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=2920
http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=2314

It's even in the BME encyclopedia, which is probably the most accurate body modification resource on the web:

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Gauging
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #43
Mollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
Maybe, but why take the risk:

http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=2920
http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=2314

It's even in the BME encyclopedia, which is probably the most accurate body modification resource on the web:

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Gauging
I love the QOD on BME XD

People don't seem to realise how using the term 'gauging' when they quite clearly mean, and know they should use 'stretching' makes them look like complete body mod. retards.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #44
kwaniesiam

I never said anyone couldn't use it, it just bothers me when they do because its not the proper terminology. No need to argue. A lot of slang is ridiculous and completely changes the meaning of a word around...and as already stated it's not recognized by those who are really into the modification community. Just think of how ridiculous it sounds when people ask if you're "a gothic".

At the end of it, I'd still rather hear "I gauged my ears from 14g to 6g this year!" rather than "I stretched my ears from 14g-1/2" this month!" Stetching takes time, care, and patience and is a lot more permanent than people realize, just like any mod. Once you get to a certain size or if you go too fast, no it won't just close up once you get older and decide you don't want it anymore.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote