Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #101
LadySpiderdust

I have naturally very red cheeks which I always hated. The only way I can get round it is with a good foundation. I try and get as pale a colour as I can. I am also one of those who will never tan. I go from pale to burnt very quickly.
LadySpiderdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #102
Nardol

Hats

Hats are important for protecting facial skin and the back of the neck, tops of the ears/nose. These are dangerously sensitive places from the standpoint of preventing skin cancer, on a side note. If I must go out during bright sun, I make sure to wear a hat, and if my wardrobe permits, a broad brimmed one straw with a cloth band, like you might see old black men wearing. Between the hat, and a good choice of breathable fabrics of light, but muted tones, I've managed to avoid sunburn on exceptionally sunny days, without totally sacrificing my sense of taste.

On another side note, I've gotten alot of comments from stylish old men of color about the hat, especially when matched with dress pants, well polished shoes and a nicely pressed white button down. Not even remotely gothic of course, but I think the "southern blues player" look is pretty sharp.

And on one last side note:

Sunlight allows the body to produce vitamin D, yes it's fortified in milk and so on, but a surprisingly low amount of fortified vitamin D is absorbable due to the nature of the foods to which it's added. The chemical combinations which occur in foods which naturally have alot of vitamin D do not often occur in those bleached or processed foods to which it is added (such as white bread, milk and polished (white) rice). So if you happen to notice that you get sick very often with what are classically called "winter" illnesses (so called because they are related to insufficient sun from staying indoors all winter) you may want to consider a dietary supplement.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #103
Infusco

Anaemia is not the way to go for pale skin. The side effects really aren't worth it. Palpatations, shortness of breath, dizziness, the list goes on. It's not healthy and there are more safe ways for a paler skin.

How long does it take for the lemon thing to noticably work? I have sensitive skin and don't want to do it too much or I'll start flaking...
Infusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #104
Persephone

I live in a tropical country and I'm extremely fair skinned, so to keep my paleness I keep away from the sun, use sunblock, wear hats (all said before) and a few other things; for example I drink infusion of Viola Tricolor's (pansy) dried leaves and petals; a cup just before bed, it works wonders for me, you can find it in pretty much any naturist store or drugstore... Also pineapple works well, it's diuretic and has the same effect than lemon.
And for reddened skins (wich I also have... *happyness*) avoiding spicy foods and alcoholic beverages helps a lot, as well as drinking water and fruit juices...
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #105
Persephone

Getting sick rocks now... wow...¬¬
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #106
LusciousLenae

To reduce redness I use an asprin mask every day...
Wash face as usual. Wet an asprin until it can be made into a paste. Rub paste over skin and let dry, usually 15 minutes. Rinse off and apply moisterizer.
LusciousLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #107
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Use lots of sunscreen. Even when it's cloudy out. Anything above SPF 30 is useless though. But yeah use sunscreen and try to refrain from showing your face to the sun.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #108
insertwittyname

I'm unable to use foundations and pale stuff. I have freckles that hide what little acne I get and I love it. But they grow along my arms! T.T They don't look bad, but I'd feel hidious without them becuase they make my facial features, I dunno, better? But they don't really fit in the pale persona which I've wanted since I was little, and if I did have it I'd be screwed. >.<
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #109
bulletsinmyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertwittyname
I'm unable to use foundations and pale stuff. I have freckles that hide what little acne I get and I love it. But they grow along my arms! T.T They don't look bad, but I'd feel hidious without them becuase they make my facial features, I dunno, better? But they don't really fit in the pale persona which I've wanted since I was little, and if I did have it I'd be screwed. >.<
I have freckles everywhere, too. I've always had fair skin, so I'm naturally pale. Compared to some of my friends, I'm white as a sheet!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #110
Outside_Existance

i dont think skin gets any paler than mine... im.... so.... white!!!!
Outside_Existance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #111
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I like the lemon juice and perxoide mixture. It works nicely.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #112
insertwittyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
I like the lemon juice and perxoide mixture. It works nicely.
Is it safe on your face? And if the person in your icon is you then you have a very nice complexion.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #113
Quinny

My skin tends to go a faint reddish colour, (especially my hands) really annoying. Usually after i expose it to some source of artificial warmth for a long period of time it goes white as. That and getting no sun for like a week tends to do the trick for me.

Lemon juice is good for shaver rash and preventing spots. Dont use it during bright sunlight because It only makes your skin look darker, it'il look healthy, but darker!. And it stings! but it helps. Lol hence the usefulness of having (or should i say used to have) a girlfriend that worried to much about her skin!
Quinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #114
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions
In the UK we have the "Health and Beauty" aisle.

I just generally avoid direct sunlilght as much as possible. Getting as little sleep as possible helps too. I mean, be sure you get enough sleep but keep yourself awake as long as you can. It darkens the eyes wonderfully. Mine have even gone naturally bloodshot to a slight degree.
Sounds good, hard for me, I just sleep all of the time, a lot in the day, I can barely get to sleep at night. But, I do avoid direct sunlight quite a bit, but I need to invest in a parasol or something to that degree. But my skin has gotten pale enough to the point where I get a normal skin tone when I'm sick, instead of getting pale.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 AM   #115
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertwittyname
Is it safe on your face? And if the person in your icon is you then you have a very nice complexion.
Yes that is me in my icon. Thank you. Yes it's very safe to use on your face.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 08-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #116
BlackWidow

I have very pale skin too. I get teased for it all the time, but who cares. Why tan? So I can be part of the popular group with such "sexy" skin? Ha, I'd rather not. I like my cancer-free skin, if people dont like it;dont look. I dont wear dresses or shorts anyway. I've never used anything to make my skin any whiter than it normally is. Well, ok, I bought this white powder from Hot Topic, but only because they didnt have regular colored powder. It actually looked good on me, it had little sparkles in it too. I eat like shit though, junk food all the time.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #117
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yeah, I must say having cancer free skin is a wonderful thing. I'm glad I am not one of those so called "sexy" people. I feel sexy pale. I think pale is sexy.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 08-31-2006, 11:26 PM   #118
Cicero

The only reason tans are considered 'sexy', as far as I can see, is because darker skin hides flaws and redness. But really tanned skin only looks good on people who were born with it. And sunburns don't suit anyone.

Cancer-free skin is awesome. As is avoidance of premature ageing.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #119
Delkaetre

I'm rather jealous of a couple of guys I know. They DJ at Unity, and the buggers are flawlessly pale. Kaljerico is pale to the point of faint greyness, and _encryption_ merely fresh-corpse pale.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #120
korinna5555

i like to use LOTS of neutrogena sunscreen, a good mosturizer, Clean and Clear blemish spot gel or something (clear gel with sacylic acid) and this:

Keegans (me!) homemade tan remover/skin toner

one part witch hazel
one part white vinegar
three parts hydrogen peroxide
three parts lemon juice

mix in a bottle, can be stored room temp. shake well before use. bit on a paper towel.....works great for me
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #121
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I use neutrogena sunscreen. Might it tends to clog my pores. I tend to have oily skin, not dry. But it would work as a good moisturizer.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 09-03-2006, 04:03 AM   #122
korinna5555

yea i have oily skin too. have you tried the oil-free type? it seems to work pretty well.....i also found this sunscreen powder at WALMART that comes in a pretty light shade. i think that was neutrogena too
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #123
bleedingheart344

Yeah, I can pretty much eat whatever and have good skin. But, I do have naturally pale skin. The thing is, it's pale, but not really pale enough. I was wanting to find a foundation that would be fairly good for my skin, but I'm thinking I may just start wearing sunscreen.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #124
xBloody--Vengeancex

My skin is fairly pale compared to some of the people I've seen in my lifetime, though when I went to an outdoor concert over the summer, my arms got burnt pretty badly (security wouldn't let me take my bag in, which had sunscreen in it that I was planning to put on), and now all that's left is a tan that still hasn't gone away. -___-;;
xBloody--Vengeancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #125
ViciouslyBeautiful

Whoa, does it take long for the tan to go away??
ViciouslyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote