Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Darklow

(Ballet) pointe shoes

A friend of mine tried on my black pointe shoes and totally fell in love with them. We're both dancers, so there's really no harm to it. She bought black pointe shoes for herself. She wants to wear them outside and stuff. I think the idea is really cool. She wants to go out on the weekend and asked me to wear my pointes too.

What do you think?
I'm still not totally sure what to think of it. As a dancer, I obviously love my pointe shoes and wouldn't mind showing them off ;-), but I'm not sure what to wear with them. Any ideas?

I don't want to look like a dancer. But anything other than a skirt would suck, right? Fishnets?

Any experiences in ballet pointe shoes?
Darklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySlater
Not so much. I wear my old ghillies a lot, though. Jeans, knee socks, billie skirts... they go with everything but cut-offs. I don't see why ballet shoes would be much different as long as you are accustomed to wearing them and don't damage your feet in the process.

nice. thanks for the ideas.

any other hints?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Paper_Wings

I'm curious as to how they look. I have never seen anyone wear ballet shoes for fashion other than in a ballet. Could you show me some pics of what they look like?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Wings
I'm curious as to how they look. I have never seen anyone wear ballet shoes for fashion other than in a ballet. Could you show me some pics of what they look like?
here are some pictures i like.

pointes and stripes

sooooo sexy. i'm gonna do that next time. with pink pointe shoes.

i looked like that. i think it's a beautiful outfit. pointe shoes are cool indeed. ;-)

one more. i love the fishnets.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Darklow

2 more:

she's adorable

sooo pretty...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Heatherzilla

Don't they hurt?
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherzilla
Don't they hurt?
not really. i have some ouch pouchs. it's like a cushion for the toes. and i wear older shoes. they are soft. although they don't look that nice. most dancers will tell you they hurt, but that's not true. most high-heels and platforms hurt more. a friend of mine can walk en pointe without any experince in ballet. but going on your toes in pointe shoes is still kinda risky for beginners. like wearing high heels for the first time.

i think pointe shoes are sexy and beautiful. most guys think that they look hot and most girls are jealous ;-)
Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySlater
Yes, they do hurt if you do not dance in them and/or have your feet accustomed to them.
buy them a little , break them in properly (there some great websites on breaking in pointe shoes) and wear some cushion and they don't hurt. but i'm a dancer, so i really don't know how it feels like for a beginner.

my pointes don't hurt on my feet.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
Rizash

Gotta say it... only seen pointe shoes in person once... but they TOTALLY changed my view of the girl that was wearing them.... Girls who can actually move like that (or even just portray that image of grace) are stunning.
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklow
buy them a little , break them in properly (there some great websites on breaking in pointe shoes) and wear some cushion and they don't hurt. but i'm a dancer, so i really don't know how it feels like for a beginner.

my pointes don't hurt on my feet.
i meant to say: buy them a little bigger
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Heatherzilla

I really want a pair now. I almost feel like taking up ballet but I don't really want to be stuck in a beginners class with a lot of little kids.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
badteccy

Quote:
A friend of mine tried on my black pointe shoes and totally fell in love with them. We're both dancers, so there's really no harm to it. She bought black pointe shoes for herself. She wants to wear them outside and stuff. I think the idea is really cool. She wants to go out on the weekend and asked me to wear my pointes too.

What do you think?
I'm still not totally sure what to think of it. As a dancer, I obviously love my pointe shoes and wouldn't mind showing them off ;-), but I'm not sure what to wear with them. Any ideas?

I don't want to look like a dancer. But anything other than a skirt would suck, right? Fishnets?

I would suggest not wearing them if they are dance shoes, they could get worn down and that's no good.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
Darklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
I would suggest not wearing them if they are dance shoes, they could get worn down and that's no good.
any shoes will get worn out. it doesn't really matter...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
RRomance

Quote:

What do you think?

ive been look just about everywhere for black pointe shoes
do you know somewhere i could find them?
RRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

You're seriously going to mess up your arches if you wear pointe shoes for fun, especially if you aren't taking pointe classes. Only experienced dancers with really strong feet should be wearing pointe shoes in the first place, and then only after their instructor has approved it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Um yeah, what ^ said. Believe me, ballet is hard work. By the time you're en pointe, your legs and feet are incredibly strong. Wearing them for fun/fashion is a very bad idea.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
killer_asian_Dax

I would advise against wearing them for fashion on the grounds that

A) they can be very expensive
B) it's not the best thing for your feet. I've been dancing since I was 5 (I'm 22 now)and I can't begin to tell you how difficult it is to take care of your feet.

and

C) For as much as you love and as rare as black pointe shoes are- I would think that an understanding and appreciation for what they are and their rarity would prohibit such an idea like wearing them for fun and/or fashion from flowering.

If it was for a photoshoot- then fine. No harm done. But just out and about or to the club? Then will you know the real meaning of pain. And later you'll be extremely pissed that you did that.

I know there's nothing like the real thing, but I would strongly suggest ballerina flats instead or even the ballet slippers.

But from one ballerina/dancer to another- for the love of all things dark and sacred please don't do it!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
MollyMac

Same story here, not in pointe shoes, but ghillies. Many of my girls like to wear them casually. But these shoes are constructed for a specific purpose, one that many of us have worked long and hard to reach. To wear them simply because they look hot is not only bad for your feet and budget, but insulting to the people who earned the ability to wear and move in them correctly. Go to a shoestore and create knock-offs from everyday wear shoes- you get the look without the arch issues.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #19
Aude Sapere

I think those ballerina shoes have come back in style, because i keep seeing that type of style in shoe stores, only they are in all these funky colors like gold. But, since you have REAL dancing shoes, wouldn't they get ruined if you went out walking with them insted of using them for thier intended purpose? I would say check out the stores and see if you can get another pair that looks like them, but are intended to be worn for walking around, so your real ones won't get ruined. Just a thought.

Anyhoo, I definatly think a fishnet skirt, tank top, and a cool DIY jacket with those shoes would make a great outfit.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

I think it seems like a really cool idea, and would look really pretty, but it seems like most people here with ballet experience are saying it's not good for your feet. Fashion is pretty amazing, and I love it, but don't sacrifice your health for it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #21
manequin

Quote:

What do you think?

As a male ballerina since I was 3 (along with tap, modern jazz drama and vocal tuition) I think the idea sounds really cool. But I must ask. your not intending to go out in them and stand on points all the time are you? Also wouldn't the leather soul and satin (or silk depending on how rich you are) upper get totally screwed outside?
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #22
manequin

Quote:
not really. i have some ouch pouchs. it's like a cushion for the toes. and i wear older shoes. they are soft. although they don't look that nice. most dancers will tell you they hurt, but that's not true. most high-heels and platforms hurt more. a friend of mine can walk en pointe without any experince in ballet. but going on your toes in pointe shoes is still kinda risky for beginners. like wearing high heels for the first time.

i think pointe shoes are sexy and beautiful. most guys think that they look hot and most girls are jealous ;-)
Errrrrrrrrrrrrm... What do you mean they don't hurt? I watched my big sister moan in agony with bleeding feet from them!!! :O
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #23
MollyMac

When you are accustomed to them (ie, most start in them at age 11, and are accustomed to them when the feet stop growing around 18), they don't really hurt. They are not comfortable for day wear and expensive for such a frivolity. Frankly, if you do not intend to use them en pointe on appropriate surfaces, and are not familiar with the binding, then just get the ballet slip ons and ribbon and fake it.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
When you are accustomed to them (ie, most start in them at age 11, and are accustomed to them when the feet stop growing around 18), they don't really hurt. They are not comfortable for day wear and expensive for such a frivolity. Frankly, if you do not intend to use them en pointe on appropriate surfaces, and are not familiar with the binding, then just get the ballet slip ons and ribbon and fake it.
How much are they, exactly?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
killer_asian_Dax

Price depends. I've seen them for as cheap as $35 and I've seen them go for around $100. But that's just the shoes themself. There's also ribbon, rosin, toe safety accessories.....

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote