Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Despanan

Rodger Ebert wants us goddamn kids off his goddamn lawn

Rodger Ebert: Videogames can never be art.

I may actually go more in-depth about why the old man is so horribly mistaken, but I'm super busy right now. So you'll have to make due with one of the other responses.

Personally, I really like the Penny Arcade response. Tycho kinda eviscerates the whole thing in his blog post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
There are many, many replies to Roger Ebert's reeking ejaculate, from measured Judo-inspired reversals of momentum to primal shrieks which communicate rage in a harrowing, proto-linguistic state. Thatgamecompany's Kellee Santiago chose to respond to him, which gave the whole thing a kind of symmetry, seeing as it was her TED speech that drove that wretched, ancient warlock into his original spasm.

That was very polite of her, behaving as though she were one side of a conversation. For what it's worth. Which isn't much, honestly, because this weren't never a dialogue. He is not talking to you, he is just talking. And he's arguing

1. in bad faith,
2. in an internally contradictory way,
3. with nebulously defined terms,

so there's nothing here to discuss. You can if you want to, and people certainly do, but there's no profit in it. Nobody's going to hold their blade aloft at the end of this thing and found a kingdom. It's just something to fill the hours.

Also, do we win something if we defeat him? Does he drop a good helm? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why we give a shit what that creature says. He doesn't operate under some divine shroud that lets him determine what is or is not valid culture. He cannot rob you, retroactively, of wholly valid experiences; he cannot transform them into worthless things.

He's simply a man determined to be on the wrong side of history, the wrong side of the human drive to create, and dreadfully so; a monument to the same generational bullshit that says because something has not been, it must not and could never be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
KontanKarite

I salute Tycho.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Saya

Between this and his Kick Ass review, I think he's just out to troll some nerds.

He was picking on some bad examples there (Braid?) But its just stupid to say games can't be art when you don't play the games that are more arguably art. Its like watching the Hannah Montana movie and then declaring cinema can never be art.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Apathy's_Child

The creation of games is art. The playing of them is its mind-numbing abortion (no judgment - so is spending long amounts of time trying to toss a cigarette suavely into your own mouth, of which I'm a fan). On that basis, I'd let him on my lawn for a beer, even if his argument doesn't really contain any compelling support for his position.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote