Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #51
Disfunction

Tanks, mang.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #52
Solumina

Yay dis is back!
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #53
CptSternn

'Sinn Féin won its first seat in the Dáil Éireann, since it had ended its policy of abstentionism in 1986.'

Once again your waaaay off. Wrong country even. We are talking about the NORTHERN IRELAND Peace Process. Seats in the IRISH GOVERNMENT PARLIMENT have absolutely NOTHING to do with peace in the NORTH of Ireland, which is in the UK.

Thanks for trying though, but you should really know the difference between the two countries. Thats the problem with the states - people don't know that we are partitioned into two countries thanks to england. Tis what I travelled around the country telling people for years as a SF rep. Dont feel bad though, when bush came to belfast last year he said he was thrilled to be in the capitol of Ireland. Oh that clip made the news a dozen times that week, considering Belfast is in Northern Ireland.

Slán
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #54
Binkie

Hahahaha!! Go back and look under what that date was listed under (at the top of the page: "Northern Ireland peace process."

Err...

Oh man, so wait, wait. Are you saying that the Republic of Ireland had nothing to do with the Peace Process? Seriously, do you even live in Northern Ireland? I'm really asking you that, cause I don't believe it if you're saying the Republic of Ireland is in no way related to the Peace Process.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #55
CptSternn

For the most part ROI had jack shit to do with the GFA. SF only took its seats in the Dalí because under the new agreement the brits said SF could only raise money in countries they had reps in, so SF put reps in the Republic.

As far as being significant to the peace talks it had no effect. SF negotiated a cease fire with the brit troops as long as they agreed on power sharing and removing forces - something they have yet to implement.

Don't worry though, you will be hearing alot more soon. Thanx to bush now telling blair to cancle the peace process and push for war. We will see how that goes...

Slán
Old 05-27-2005, 08:31 PM   #56
Binkie

Mmmhmm... yeah, they didn't have jack shit to do with it. They just signed it and negotiated it's terms. No biggie.

And yeah, the elections didn't have anything to do with the Peace Process. SF was just barred form having a role in it prior to gaining a seat in parliment.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Old 05-28-2005, 03:41 AM   #57
CptSternn

Your wrong once again on all counts.

SF is a NI party - their whole platform is brits out. Thats the principle of the party. They have no reason to exist in Ireland, where the brits ARE out.

And Hume and Trimble actually structured it. Adams also was there, but wasn't credited with it as at the time the SDLP was the dominate nationalist party. SF was in the talks from the beginning.

Also, they were not 'barred' from anything. They held seats previously, they just abstained on principle.

Once again, I was there. Still here now.

Slán
Old 05-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #58
Binkie

Wrong wrong wrong... go do some research, wee willy. The British and the Republic of Ireland barred SF from having any say in the Peace Process prior to the 97 elections.

Don't believe me? Why don't we look at what ol' Gerry Adams had to say about this:

"It's a signal because we now have a (member of Parliament) in Leinster House who cannot be excluded. We have made the point time and again there is a need for inclusiveness and equality."

Wanna argue with Adams? Be my guest. Again, you don't even know jack shit about the party you support or the process you claim to be involved in. I find that really amusing, espcially since these are MAJOR things that you've fucked up on recalling.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:27 PM   #59
CptSternn

Research? As aforementioned, I live here, I was there AT Stormont during that period. I find it hilarious you continue to post to this topic like you actually know something. I mean you saying you know nothing is the only sensabel thing you have posted in this topic.

You have never left your own state! My challenge to you is...leave the states and actually try visiting say one of these countries you claim to know soooo much about! Fly to Afghanistan, go to a local bar, and tell them that they got what they deserved. Then fly to Iraq and tell them they were responsible for 9/11. After that, please, by all means come here to Ireland and visit ANY pub and tell the locals the officials they elected are terrorists, and that they should all be in jail. Also point out that even though they take in more refugees than the us, that they hate minorities.

I'd be interested to see how far you get. I'm sure you will make lots of friends worldwide and people around the globe will see you as a shining beacon of an immesary from the united states.

'Hey! I don't care if you live here! I read online that this is how you do things and what you believe it! I'm always right, not because I have any formal education nor am I even sane enough to join the military, but hey, I'm an AMERICAN with web access!'

Classic!

Slán
Old 05-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #60
Binkie

Back to this? Where's a real counter point? If you don't have one, you just lost. Wait, you didn't just lose. You lost when you cited incorrect information about the process you claim to know something about but apparently don't.

Go read up on the history of your nation, wee willy. It's pitiful that a foreigner has to inform you about widely known shit.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #61
CptSternn

So you just saying your right makes you right? Once again, I live here, and your still talking about a different country. Once you get your geography right, come and lets talk about it.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #62
Binkie

Funny thing is, it wasn't me who crushed your entire arguement. It was history and a quote from Gerry Adams that destroyed you. Until you can provide a real counter-point to suggest anything other than what I've said, you've lost.

You know you've lost. That's the funny thing. I don't need you to admit it cause you know. Anyone who's been following this whole topic knows.

Thanks for playing, Wee Willy. Have a nice day.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #63
CptSternn

No, history is what I know as I was there. First, Gerry is in the North, not the Republic, so trying to argue that he wouldn't be allowed into talks in the north, a seperate country, because his party abstained from the Dalí is just silly. Dunno where you got that idea, but its 100% wrong.

History seems to be something you like to change as you go. I mean, this topic started on you bashing SF. Now you support them and say they are a positive influence because they won the election YOU claimed they would lose, in your first post. You also asked for me to prove that SF did NOT lose popularity. Well, polls showed that. Once YOU lost your original argument, you start in with all the reasons SF are good and its all thanks to...gw bush?

If you havent noticed, nothing has changed within SF. The IRA is still here, and we all still hate the brits. You know 99% of republicans support the IRA, and its safe to say 100% of those who voted for SF also support the IRA. So whats your argument now? Trying to debate something you found on some random website and claim its the Lord Gods word on Irish history and that because I didn't know this yet verified fact you randomly found I don't know about Irish politics?

So far I argued SF didn't lose popularity against your post, and I won as SF took all the seats they ran and more. Then I argued that the IRA is still there and guess what, still connected to SF. You claim bush somehow severed those ties.

Here is a wee little newsflash - June 6th is important for a reason you couldn't know. A trick question. I mean, not that I have any inside information, but there is a good chance thats the day the pIRA will release its next statement to the news media. That statement will blast the idea of giving up arms, and also give a few good digs at bush and his failed attempts to try and bully the irish people into submitting to the brits.

I'll post it for you here when its done

Slán gó foíl
Old 05-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #64
Binkie

Yeah, I don't know where I got that idea from either. Oh wait, yes I do. I got it from Gerry Adams, who actually said it and confirmed it to the press in the quote on the previous page. Like I said, I'm not the one you should be arguing with. It's Gerry you have to belittle now. I'm sure you know more about the Peace Process than he does. Make an arguement out of that. Tell him that he doesn't know shit.

You can imagine how amusing this whole thing is to me, right?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #65
CptSternn

See, in 2002 I had dinner with Gerry (and a few Senators) in DC on St. Patricks day, after he left the White House and after his meeting with gw bush.

We talked about many things, and on a regular basis, I get emails from his assistance and from his office. I could actually have him send you an email, but why would I waste his time with a person who is not only not a constitutent, but an ignorant yank who has no idea about the peace process.

Come back when you actually leave your back yard and met a person you know, from Ireland, and not some random text on a web site that is incorrect.

Slán
Old 05-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #66
Binkie

Again, you've negated to state any sort of counterpoint that would suggest that Gerry is wrong in saying what he did, cause what he said proved my point.

You've lost (again). Have a nice day.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #67
CptSternn

So still can't admit you know fuck-all about Irish politics? Heres another nice piece for you, once again contradicting mose of the previous crap you posted...

Sinn Fein poised for N.I. sweep

By Martin Sieff
UPI Senior News Analyst

Washington, DC, May. 3 (UPI) -- Just six weeks ago, Sinn Fein, the
political wing of the Irish Republic Just six weeks ago, Sinn Fein,
the political wing of the Irish Republican Army, looked on the ropes
and politically isolated as it had not been for decades in Ireland,
Britain and the Untied States. But now, the party is poised to win its
biggest-ever electoral victory when Northern Ireland participates in
the British general election Thursday.

Most political analysts in the long-troubled province believe Sinn
Fein will win five seats in the House of Commons, the main chamber of
the British parliament, with the traditionally more moderate Social
and Democratic Labor Party holding on to only two. Sinn Fein may even
sweep those as well.

It is a far cry from the apparent situation only a couple of months
ago. President George W. Bush not only refused to invite Sinn Fein
President Gerry Adams to the White House for the annual St. Patrick's
Day festivities there, he pointedly embraced instead the sisters of
Robert McCartney, a Catholic from Belfast's Short Strand district who
was brutally killed in a pub brawl in January. The IRA and Sinn Fein
both came under intense criticism because at first no witness dared to
come forward to identify McCartney's killers because of an IRA cover-up.

Indeed, following the McCartney killing, the Irish News, the main
newspaper of Northern Ireland's Catholic nationalist community, ran
angry letters attacking Sinn Fein and the IRA. Even a former IRA
hunger-striker against the British government in the early 1980s has
publicly condemned the killing and the paramilitary-organized cover-up
that followed it.

Yet now Sinn Fein is running so strongly in the general election
campaign among Northern Ireland's 600,000 minority Catholic community
that Peter Robinson, deputy leader of the dominant Democratic Unionist
Party among the province's majority 900,000, urged a high turn-out for
his party Tuesday because, he warned, Sinn Fein was in danger of
winning more votes Thursday than any other political party there.

"Unionists must avoid the nightmare scenario of republicans speaking
for Ulster after the votes are counted on Friday," Robinson said.
"With the Sinn Fein vote on the rise, it is vital that unionists turn
out to vote on Thursday and vote for the DUP."

"I am baffled: how can Sinn Fein get so much support?" respected
British political journalist Jenny McCarthy asked in the Sunday
Telegraph newspaper. "Sinn Fein's onward march fills me not just with
dismay but a degree of incomprehension."

The reasons in fact, are many:

First, as that shrewd observer of democratic politics and human
nature, Nicholas Murray Butler, observed a century ago, "You can't
beat something with nothing." And Adams is most definitely "something."

The charismatic, dynamic Adams, assured of an overwhelming majority in
his own home constituency of West Belfast, has been campaigning like a
man possessed for other Sinn Fein candidates across Northern Ireland.
He is especially targeting vulnerable Mark Durkan, the decent and
well-meaning but cautious and lackluster leader of the SDLP, in his
Foyle constituency in County Derry. And in this campaign, Durkan has
failed to shrug off the "nothing" label in the face of Adams'
"something." Other SDLP seats in Newry, Armagh and South Down could
also fall to the Sinn Fein juggernaut.

Second, though the popular outrage over the McCarthy killing was deep
and real, it appears to have had a lasting impact only in the small
Short Strand enclave of East Belfast along the Lagan River where
McCartney and his family came from.

Adams also defused much of the anger of over the killing in the
Catholic community by publicly calling on anyone who had any
information about the murder to give it to the police. And on April
26, Sinn Fein formally expelled two long-time members suspected of
being involved. Another four individuals who refused to make
statements to the police about the killing quit the party.

Further, Northern Ireland's Catholics have been rallying around Adams
and Sinn Fein as they have seen the Rev. Ian Paisley, a lifelong
anti-Catholic firebrand, and his Democratic Unionist Party poised to
sweep the more moderate Ulster Unionist Party off the board in
Thursday's vote. Most estimates expect the DUP to capture 12
parliamentary seats in the election, leaving only two for the UUP. The
DUP may even take those. And like Durkan, UUP leader David Trimble is
fighting for his own political life against a powerful; DUP challenge.

In the face of all this, Northern Ireland's Catholics are rallying for
their tougher, more unyielding and therefore comforting champions:
Sinn Fein. And, of course, the dynamic flows both ways. The stronger
and more dangerous Sinn Fein looks, the more Protestant Unionist
voters are flooding to Paisley and the DUP.

That is why Seamus Mallon, a long-time prominent figure in the SDLP,
warned this week Northern Ireland faced the danger of a splintering or
"Balkanization" of its two communities into isolated mutually
suspicious and hostile enclaves after Thursday's vote.

Indeed, far from isolating Sinn Fein, the flood of international
condemnation of it appears to have helped it. For the tough, warring
communities in Northern Ireland, for all their differences, share a
grim, craggy independence of mind and determination to let no
outsiders tell them how to think or behave.

And, as Winston Churchill noted more than 80 years ago during an
earlier Irish peace process, they remain determined to uphold "the
integrity of their ancient quarrel."

Slán
Old 05-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #68
Binkie

Still no counter-point to the Gerry Adams quote whiched showed you knew "fuck-all about Irish politics?" Oh well.

Like Mael told you, Wee Willy, when you stop arguing the arguement and go off into some other tirade, you're just dry-firing. Load another magazine and come back when you are able to prove encyclopedias, history books, and Gerry Adams wrong.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:54 PM   #69
CptSternn

Disagree with him? I support everything the man says. Your the one with an issue with him - review the first few posts to this thread, which once again might I add look at the topic, and look at my last post. You have most definately lost this topic. SF took all the seats they ran and more.

Slán
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #70
Binkie

You don't disagree with the quote on the previous page then? Alright, then you conceded the arguement because it verified what I was saying and proved you wrong.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #71
CptSternn

You finding one random line and claiming Gerry Adams said it makes no difference at all in this topic. The title is...

Sinn Fein's Approval Rating Way Down

As I have just posted the election results, they took every seat they ran against, and even more than expected. They also have the higest poll numbers along with the higest approval rating ever

A few of your quotes from this very thread whos topic is about SF's ratings...

Binkie:

That it's not just politicians who've had it with their shit? Looks like a bleak road ahead for these boys.

And looking at the poll numbers, election results, and the above article from yesterdays paper, its safe to say...

biinkie, you were wrong

But go ahead and argue some droll point that is totally off topic about some quote from 1997 that has no bearing on this if it makes you feel better.

In the end Sinn Fein's approval rating is higher than ever discrediting your original post (and about a half dozen following posts), my party is doing better than it ever has, and your president has an approval rating of 30%, the lowest of any president since the great depression maybe we should start a thread on why people hate bush and love Sinn Fein?

Or maybe I should go to the bottom of the Politics board discussion list and post the stats on the three other topics you started that echoed the same, very wrong, point that Sinn Fein would lose popularity.

Slán
Old 06-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #72
Binkie

Then you've conceded that arguement from the previous page and we're back to the original as part of your attempt to distract yourself from realizing you didn't honestly know that June 6th actually was significant in the past for Sinn Fein.

In concerns of that, we'll go ahead and repeat ourselfs yet again:

I was just wrong in estimating whether or not they'd turn it around by doing what Bush told them to do. They did, it's all good. They're puppets in Bush's pocket and all is grand once again.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #73
CptSternn

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but PLEASE, spread the word! Also, please talk to some people in DC for me! I mean, I want the world to think SF is now a puppet regime of the bush regime. I'd like that more than anything for that to be spread all over the states!

Maybe when I got out on my nites off the gardai special branch won't follow me around with that damn long distance mike traying to watch my lips and see who im talking too!

Yeah, start by tellings the Irish government, because all this fecking survellince because they think we are still some type of revolutionaries and keep 24 hour survellience on us for the past few months.

Please do that for me! Thanks!

Slán
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #74
Binkie

Ya don't know where I got that idea from, eh? We only dicussed like two/three pages back. Guess you just aren't good with history, period.

:lol:

Also: if you want to tell the world so bad, just make a little video on your website. Oh wait, maybe you should put it on this one. It'll actually get traffic that way.

:wink:
Old 09-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #75
edible_eye

if anyone even cares anymore - http://news.**********/s/ap/20050925/...u/nireland_ira

say good-bye, ira.