Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
Underwater Ophelia

Guys, who the fuck cares? He can listen to whatever he wants.
I hate how some of you assholes think you're going to "enlighten" everyone by suggesting goth rock.

I think A LOT of gothrock is absolute shit. A lot of it sounds the same, has shitty musicians, and completely laughable lyrics.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #27
ZyklonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
A lot of it sounds the same, has shitty musicians, and completely laughable lyrics.
You've just described every genre known to man and woman alike. And some known to monkeys!
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #28
BlackRose Knight

Actually, I never said I didn't like gothic rock. But because I didn't list enough of it to suit him, he assumed. Then presumed to tell me my taste in music wasnt "goth" enough.

See "but not limited to..." above.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
BlackRose Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #29
ZyklonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRose Knight
annoys the pig.
Well know, that we don't really know. For all we know, that pig has a blast!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyklonB
You've just described every genre known to man and woman alike. And some known to monkeys!
Very true, all genres do have talentless losers.
However, I've noticed that many of the bands considered GOOD are fucking awful.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #31
gothicusmaximus

The reason for which music is so important to goth as a subculture is that, before the advent of the world wide web and such virtual meccas for individuals of the 'dark' persuasion as gnet, people who maintained an avid interest in the literature of Poe, James, and Bronte, in horror cinema, or the macabre as a whole, would often meet at concerts featuring bands who, in their lyrics, melodic atmosphere, or aesthetic, related to these subjects, or, increasingly later on, at clubs which played their music. The bands were the epicenter of the coalescing subculture, the adhesive that united it, and therefore the idea of a 'goth' who isn't into goth rock is a strange one even now.

While I believe that 'goth' is definable and not an abstraction which 'means different things to different people', I do share Kontan's view that to be a goth isn't any more a source of entitlement or empowerment than membership in the official Star Trek fan club. 'Goth' is not a social or political movement. 'Goths' as a population haven't accomplished any ends of consequence from which we should derive pride. Certainly, you're either a goth or you're not, but whichever is true of you makes no more difference than your favorite color.

BRK, you seem to think otherwise, so know that I meant you no offense in saying what I've said (except possibly my expression of dissapointment that you'd resort to calling people mindless sheep in an effort to advance your argument), as I was merely trying to clarify the meaning of 'goth', in my own opinion as well as that of Renatus, Green.Lady, and many other members of not only gnet but the goth scene in general. I wasn't condemning you, as I personally don't really care if you like goth rock or not.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #32
TopHaggardDoll

HI STEVE!

You like jazz, that is so awesome.

Ever heard the Tomasz Stanko quartet!? It's really gloomy jazz music...really good. You should check it out sometime.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #33
Methadrine

I, for one, liked his presentation and greets him with a loud "Eey!", just like Fonzie. Don't scare this one off.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #34
Madarame

What amuses me is that I don't really care that much about the whole goth or not thing and in my original post when I said "be little careful of refering to yourself as a goth with music tastes like that" I had intended to warn him that an argument like this could break out, I can't help but love the irony that I actually started it.

Anyway I wish to apolodize again and hope that we can put an end to this rather silly discussion, I hope that we haven't scared you away and that you will enjoy it here.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #35
Jaye Jang

. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) Name Jaye Jang. Medical typist/art instructor. Hobbies: Art (obviously), music, reading, white water rafting.

2. Where are you from? Idaho.

3. Who is your favorite author? H.P. Lovecraft.

4. What are your favorite films? House on Haunted Hill. Horrors of the Black Museum. Nosferatu. The Lost Boys. Vampire Chronicles.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? Bach's Toccata in F. (Theme song to the Phantom of the Opera).

6. At your funeral? "Somewhere" by John Denver. (I know it's hokey, but I like the words).

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? In an iron maiden. I just think it would be a cool way to go out.

8. What kind of casket would you want? Preferably lead. They last longer.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? Black hoodie, black cargo pants, black leather duster and of course, my boots. (From Idaho. Western state. Gotta die with your boots on. It's required).

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? Playing the harmonica with my great-grandfather. He was a cool old dude.

11. What's your favorite band? System of a Down.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? 1-3/4 degrees/technical diploma. Would like to finish my degree in cultural anth.

13. Why did you join? Been goth forever. Found your site intriguing.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? Trick question? Okay. I'm female.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #36
ZyklonB

You might want to make your own thread for this instead Jaye Jung. Just a thought,
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #37
Jaye Jang

Zyklon B. Sorry. Noob. Working on that.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #38
BlackRose Knight

Hi Jaye!

And again, thank you all. No hard feelings to those with whom I've had a momentary misunderstanding. I have by no means been "scared off", and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

~Steven
Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #39
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Remind me to never comment about a newbie's music because every single time I do there is a argument following it that takes up a whole page. I do apologise for causing this whole big debate I just seem to have some sort of odd curse that does that.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #40
BlackRose Knight

Maybe it's simply time to think twice before drawing conclusions based on one aspect of an individual's personality. The whole is much greater than the sum of just one part, don't you think?

Peace...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #41
Wormboy

Hello BlackRose, welcome to Gnet.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #42
Malice In Wonderland

I actually love you.
You type well so music tastes I can overlook.
Heck, at the moment I'm listening to dance music.

But check out the music forums to keep the others quiet?
=]
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #43
BlackRose Knight

I'm loved! I feel special now...

*happy sigh*
Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #44
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Holy fuckin' HELL this thread is long-winded. Oh well, I guess I can be a bit verbose too.

Welcome to the board. What part of NY are you from? I'm from Albany, myself.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #45
Renatus

Quote:
Maybe it's simply time to think twice before drawing conclusions based on one aspect of an individual's personality. The whole is much greater than the sum of just one part, don't you think?

Peace...
My post was merely over the simple goth title not over if you are a good person or any sort of personality traits. The most noble person I have ever known in my life isn't a goth.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #46
BlackRose Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
My post was merely over the simple goth title not over if you are a good person...
I never thought you implied that I was a bad person.

Can't we all get along?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #47
Renatus

Quote:
I never thought you implied that I was a bad person.

Can't we all get along?
It certinly would be pleasant if possible.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #48
Apathy's_Child

Hey dude, welcome to the site. Ignore the protogoths, they give everyone a hard time. Like their appraisal even works - because my favourite band happens to be Joy Division, they completely missed the fact that I'm not even a goth. HUZZAH!!

FTR, Siouxsie and the Banshees can suck my dick.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote