Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
uphold

Hello...confused?

Hi, I'm in highschool, and I've just been hypnotised by Visual Kei, and I'm very interested in the subculture goth, but does it have anything to do with goth?
uphold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Visual Kei doesn't have much to do with goth.
Japanese subcultures have a penchant for dark things that are not reserved to black colors, so they look morose while being colorful. This, combined with the use of make-up and flamboyant accessories makes a lot of people think they have something in common but it's like saying Kiss is goth.
However, many Japanese subcultures were influenced by the gothic look. Visual Kei is indeed one of these; only it was simply aesthetically influenced, and that's too superficial.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Jillian's correct.

Basically, the Japanese took the goth look and applied a somewhat anime look to it. At best, it's all gimmick, and at worst and most true, it's just costume.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Lolly PopMuzik

What they said with the music being awful for the most part.

http://tokyo.cool.ne.jp/scum00/batcave/
NOW.

Welcome nonetheless. Anything else you want us to know? Just let it come naturally, don't worry about sticking strictly to the sticky questions as odd as it may sound.