Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Alan

Woman tackles pope

Quote:
VATICAN CITY (AP) — A woman vaulted a barrier inside St. Peter's Basilica and knocked Pope Benedict XVI to the floor as he arrived to celebrate Mass marking the beginning of Christmas.

The 82-year-old pontiff was uninjured and was able to deliver his Christmas Eve homily. Vatican officials said the woman appeared to be mentally unstable and was arrested by Vatican police...

The commotion happened as the pope's procession was making its way toward the main altar and shocked gasps rang out through the public that packed the basilica. The procession came to a halt and security rushed to the spot.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Ciro Benedettini said the woman also knocked down French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, who was taken to a hospital for a check up.

"During the procession an unstable person jumped a barrier and knocked down the Holy Father," Benedettini told The Associated Press by telephone. "(The pope) quickly got up and continued the procession."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...mas-mass_N.htm
And she tried that last Christmas too. What the fuck.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Manners are going out the windows these days it seems like. There is the shoe throw at bush, the state address "you lie!", the statue throwing italian, the state dinner crashing couple.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

I wish it would be reported that she has a pope wrestling fetish. That would make this story more interesting to me.

When I first heard this story, my mind tried to conjure up what path the laws of physics would require that little pope hat to follow when it bounced across the floor.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Cosmicgaunt

Funny how shes done this more then once.
Cosmicgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I didn't know the Vatican had its' own police force. That's all I gained from this really.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Still Jack

I want to charge the pope too. I feel discriminated against.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
I didn't know the Vatican had its' own police force. That's all I gained from this really.
They have had one form or another of security for hundreds of years. The Swiss guard for example, arnt just there so people can look at their oddly colored uniforms, back in 1527 for example when Rome was being sacked(again), they successfully protected Clement VII allowing him to escape. Also while they dont really ever have to use them, they do have a well stocked armory with MP5s, SIG SG 550, SIG P225, and they most certainly have the training to use them. Apparently back in 06 to celebrate 500 years of service to the Vatican a group of veteran guards even went as far as marching all the way from Switzerland to the Vatican on foot.

They used to have more than just the swiss guard serving as a vatican military force but they have all since been disbanded. They do have a normal security force known as the Corpo della Gendarmeria dello Stato della Città del Vaticano(it's a mouthful) who fullfill a police role in the Vatican.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote