Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
hyena

Here goes...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm a commercial archaeologist, making me part of a profession either the last line of defence of the nation's heritage, or the first of the scavengers to pick at the meat once a parcel of land is neatly butchered ready for development! I play music a fair bit, paint and draw when I have time.

2. Where are you from?
Cemetery Junction, Reading, UK (dark, innit)

3. Who is your favorite author?
I don't think I can answer this one properly.
I've just finished reading the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, and they're absolutely bangin'!! Perfect creepy paranoid unreliable glorious weirdness.

4. What are your favorite films?
Again, tricky. The Fifth Element, 28 Days Later, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Pitch Black, something like that!

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Not a big fan of weddings, but I'm an absolute sucker for anything apocalyptic, so maybe 65daysofstatic, pg.lost, grails, joy division, nirvana, massive attack, esben and the witch, baroness. Yeah it's gonna be a whole bunch of laughs... -_-

6. At your funeral?
Burn Me Clean - Thought Forms, that and maybe the soundtrack to the Fassbender-lead Macbeth adaptation. Then something completely different to compel dancing.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Any day but a tuesday.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
I spend most of my life in an old t-shirt, jeans and boots. I'm not exactly a style pioneer!! Sometimes I wear eyeliner, just to be waaay out there!

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Lactose tolerance

11. What's your favorite band?
Pass. I like a LOT of music... I could bore the tits of a statue with it - I'm sure I'll wax musical at some point... if I write bauhaus/sisters/nephilim/siouxsie/joydivision/cure do I pass?

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I've got a degree in archaeology, or a degree of archaeology, or something

13. Why did you join?
For no good reason at all

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
M
hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
Stormbringer

Hyena, greetings and welcome. I notice you didn't answer the "What kind of casket would you want?" question. What about an Anglo Saxon cremation urn or a Beaker People crouched burial? Or a full on Sutton Hoo style ship burial? At the very least a Bronze Age kist...

Just kidding. As you can guess, I love archaeology. I have a small collection of Roman coins that I prize greatly. I'm a huge fan of shows like 'Meet the Ancestors' and 'Time Team'. I'd marry Dr Alice Roberts tomorrow, or Bettany Hughes or Neil Oliver (well maybe not him) yep big archeo-nerd. What a shame I live in Australia where we don't have any archaeology. Great to meet you matey.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Anise

Hey Hyenaaaaaaaa

"Sometimes I wear eyeliner, just to be waaay out there!"
Woah calm down there tiger lol, awww that tickled me!
Love it mate

Ooo saaay like Stormbringer I'm digging your vibe, we like the past around these parts .. we've heard that we can learn from it .. so looking forward to you sharing some knowledge on that score. Although *no pressure* cos the thought of talking shop after a days work is total hass I'm sure!

Well dude a big welcome to ya hope you enjoy la forum (x)
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
hyena

Stormbringer - I'm all over the open-air corpse disposal solutions. Sky burial all the way!

Anise - Archaeologists are pretty well known for being unable to shut up about archaeology, it's shutting them up that's tricky!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Anise

I quite fancy being a tree following my bodily demise.
Those little thoughts of sustaining a life form after death are pleasing
Last summer I lost one of my dogs to that b'stard cancer ...
I brought her home from the vets so that the other 2 could say goodbye.
Each to their own; I'm just not down with that whole leaving them there.
I buried her in my garden and planted a bush and flowering plants over.
It's a lovely non-grave now because they are thriving. Soothes me ...

Oh never shhh nor rein yourself in Hyena, I'm Irish so I love the past lol
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Pr1aP1sm

Hyena,

Your intro sound very cool... Archaeologists, and Artist.
I've been fascinated by Archaeology, and Paleontology since childhood.
Over the years I've managed to acquire a modest fossil collection.
I'm quite fond of Trilobites, Cephalopods, and Plant fossils.
BUT I really want a nice Dragonfly.

There's a semi-locale cliff face that is eroding into the bay.
Sometimes I go there and do a bit of hunting. Lots of shark teeth, ray plates, and turtle shell fragments.
I've never been so lucky, but many Megalodon teeth the size of your hand have been found there.

So... Yeah, don't hesitate to talk about archaeology work.
Sounds interesting.
Welcome.
Pr1aP1sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
hyena

It's fairly universally agreed that 90% of archaeologists wish they were palaeontologists. The other 10% probably care too much about things that happened after the medieval period

I grew up on the south coast (uk) with relatively easy access to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset and all the fun stuff on the Isle of Wight, so I have many many ancient things in boxes. I've got about 700 shark's teeth (approx 45million in age) but nothing as large as Megalodon!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Stormbringer

As it happens Hyena, Megalodon teeth can be found in that stratum known as Ebay. Along with trilobites, brachiopods, crynoids etc etc. Still, I envy you. You could probably swap a tale or two with David Attenborough.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
hyena

When I was a child I had to do a school project on a famous person alive today, and I did it on David Attenborough. As part of it I sent him a letter asking various questions about his life and interests and such, and he took the time to properly respond to 9-year-old me in a return letter. That letter is one of my most treasured possessions, and I fully intend to write to him again (before he wanders off this mortal coil) to thank him for the lifelong inspiration, and for taking the time to give a fuck about a 9 year old's silly project!!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
hyena

On the subject of archaeology and such, if you get bored, this snazzy instagram feed serves as a repositary for the (remarkably wide) range of inane shit that I get up to!! www.instagram.com/wllattrd/
Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
Rats

Welcome to the forum!!
Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Stormbringer

@ Hyena That letter is one of my most treasured possessions, and I fully intend to write to him again before he wanders off this mortal coil

Ah, how wonderful, he's truly one of nature's gentlemen. I've got all his 'Life' DVDs and just about all his books including an autographed copy of The Life of Birds that I picked up for a couple of bucks at a car boot sale. In First Life he even visits South Australia ! I'm also a big fan of Richard Fortey the trilobite guy, egyptologist John Romer and Bettany Hughes. I'll check out your link.