Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #101
Saya

From here: http://curiousintent.tumblr.com/post...he-dc-relaunch
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #102
Ben Lahnger

_____________Ha!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #103
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
And apparently Renee Montoya might not be The Question anymore.
To be honest I can live with this, I always liked Renee a lot more as a cop/non-superhero character, same with Crispus Allen. Not everyone has to wear a cape.
Also, she never really seemed to me capture the essence of the Question like Vic Sage did.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #104
Saya

I might just like the idea of a female Question and Batwoman gettin busy. Don't judge me.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #105
Hydrodyssodia

That's a thought I'm perfectly comfortable getting behind of.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #106
Saya

I went to a comic book store today and granted, they tend to have far more Marvel than DC, but most of them sold out! They had Hawk And Dove, Action Comics and Green Arrow, that's it. I'll try another store my next day off but I just hope I can get a copy of Batwoman when it comes out the 14th.

I've been hearing mostly positive reviews so far, so, DC Reboot, maybe not such a shit storm?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #107
Ben Lahnger

Yes, it's definitely a shit storm. I'll elaborate in a minute, but first ...

Saya, most good comic shops offer a "pull service", where you register with them and tell them what comics you want them to pull for you when they come in. You could ask your local shop to hold a copy of Batwoman, and any other title you are interested in. That way you're guaranteed to get a copy.

Okay, shit storm confirmation:

Superman Loses Lois Lane, Flight and Two Sets of Parents in DC Relaunch

by comicsalliance.com

Quote:
DC Comic Co-Publisher Dan DiDio teased a "reexamined" relationship between Superman's Clark Kent persona and Lois Lane in the relaunched DCU earlier this month, leading many to imagine a relationship that either hasn't happened yet or didn't manifest into marriage. Today at The Source, DC confirmed that Superman's Action Comics adventures by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales will reflect a very different continuity for Man of Steel that sees him single, orphaned, flightless and sporting a costume that will evolve from street wear to Kryptonian-influenced armor. What's more, his love Lois Lane will have a new gig -- and a new love interest -- at The Daily Planet.
* This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He's a loner trying to find his place in the world.

* The series' first storyline will explore the origins of Superman's costume, as it evolves from a look that includes jeans and work boots to a new look: a suit of battle armor that pays tribute to his Kryptonian past.

* His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.

And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.

* Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.

* Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn't Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.

Newsarama began the day by reporting a divorce between Clark Kent and Lois Lane, but the site's article has since been overhauled to clarify that Superman and Lois' marriage merely hasn't happened in the new continuity.

The implications of Superman's new past, present and future as a "younger, brasher and more brooding" hero will be felt through a number of relaunched titles including George Pérez and Jesus Merino's Supeman and Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's Justice League series, where the Man of Steel's powers of flight seem to have picked up.

See the new cover to Action Comics #1 below:

What happens when creative people run out of good ideas? They tear apart past continuity and try to create something new ... usually with disastrous results. The comments on the net about this have been largely negative. And while Grant Morrison has written some amazing storylines for Batman, his Justice League stories have been largely underwhelming to very disappointing, so I don't have much hope that he's going to be able to overcome the obvious negatives and replace the established history with something that is equal or more interesting than the history DC is abandoning.

I don't like it ... not one bit.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #108
Solumina

I'm okay with him still learning to fly and shit but what is with the jeans and boots? If they were going with a costume made from "normal" clothes couldn't he at least be wearing athletic clothes? Jeans aren't really the best thing to go running around in (especially as those look a bit tight) and if he is running everywhere wouldn't he want some god damn running shoes instead of work boots?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #109
Ben Lahnger

What, you think Superman needs more arch support?

LMAO!

I don't think he has to wear anything athletic, although I don't think any earth-made clothing is going to survive him going into battle. But the practicality isn't really an issue. It's not like any denim is going to restrict HIS muscles.

I just think it looks stupid.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #110
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I'm okay with him still learning to fly and shit but what is with the jeans and boots? If they were going with a costume made from "normal" clothes couldn't he at least be wearing athletic clothes? Jeans aren't really the best thing to go running around in (especially as those look a bit tight) and if he is running everywhere wouldn't he want some god damn running shoes instead of work boots?
You've heard the phrase "working class hero" before, yes? When I saw the new costume that's immediately what I thought of.

Can't say I'm too big of a Superman fan, but from what I hear what has people most upset isn't necessarily the continuity changing or the reboot or even Lois (I mean, c'mon, we know they'll end up together), but the big thing is apparently in this one Superman is a dick.

Animal Man was apparently fantastic, though. Batwing was supposed to be good but something about the art turned me off. But when I can get into the store I'll see about them holding Animal Man and Batgirl for me.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #111
Hydrodyssodia

Gonna be a fanboy here, but, Ben, have you read All-Star Superman? It's, well, pretty much the best Superman story ever, and Morrison wrote it. I honestly think he does a better Supes than a Batman.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #112
Solumina

Quote:
You've heard the phrase "working class hero" before, yes? When I saw the new costume that's immediately what I thought of.
Well yeah, that is really my issue, they are so obviously going for a working class hero (at least in appearance) but it doesn't really make sense with the personality that they are portraying (a more alien Superman) and the way that they are attempting to portray his working class-ness wouldn't be the least bit practical (the jeans aren't gonna restrict his movement but he would split those seams in a heartbeat) so it doesn't make sense on either count and therefor feels like cheap pandering, like when Republicans go on and on about how blue collar they are.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #113
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrodyssodia View Post
Gonna be a fanboy here, but, Ben, have you read All-Star Superman? It's, well, pretty much the best Superman story ever, and Morrison wrote it. I honestly think he does a better Supes than a Batman.
That's a fair point. I've been meaning to read All-Star Superman (I started to abbreviate that and thought better), and considering my overall disappointment with the immediate future storylines in DC comics, it appears I'll have time.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #114
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I don't think he has to wear anything athletic, although I don't think any earth-made clothing is going to survive him going into battle.
I could definitely get into Supes if his clothing got torn off of his heaving muscles in every issue....just sayin'.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #115
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Well yeah, that is really my issue, they are so obviously going for a working class hero (at least in appearance) but it doesn't really make sense with the personality that they are portraying (a more alien Superman) and the way that they are attempting to portray his working class-ness wouldn't be the least bit practical (the jeans aren't gonna restrict his movement but he would split those seams in a heartbeat) so it doesn't make sense on either count and therefor feels like cheap pandering, like when Republicans go on and on about how blue collar they are.
To be fair I still haven't read it yet, but a more alien Superman doesn't really mean that he can't relate. I mean, he was raised by humans, its all he really knew. I kinda expect them to emphasize the alien bit by his alien nature or his yearning to learn more about it to come into conflict with how he was raised, but not change how human he can be.

I only flipped through it but from what I saw it seems he is kind of a poor bachelor as of right now.

I WILL READ IT, I just didn't have cash and didn't want to put four dollars on my debit, I'll get it when I get Batwoman >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I don't think he has to wear anything athletic, although I don't think any earth-made clothing is going to survive him going into battle.
Does clothing matter to him? Is he bulletproof in this continuity? And why isn't this a concern for all the wimmin superheroes? XD
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #116
Ben Lahnger

Look, you asked us not to judge you about wanting Batwoman and some other chick to get busy. I'll ask you to return the same favor for my busty, scantily clad female hero fetish ... even if it's just an aesthetic I like and not an actual sexual turn-on.

XD

Also, I don't care if the hunks lose some clothing for you. I'm just saying that if he's going to wear some earth clothing, it HAS to get ripped and destroyed from time to time. Logically, it wouldn't survive the things his skin does.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #117
Saya

I think there's a difference between being a fan of Batwoman and The Question and oversexualizing all the female characters. And I was mostly joking, I'm not happy that Kate Kane isn't dating Montoya in the first few issues of Batwoman, but mostly because I love them together, not necessarily the idea of them banging with their costumes on, but more because I think it puts them on a more equal footing, with possible team ups! And I'm suspicious if she got cut as the Question because the costume isn't hot.

If he was a chick, the clothing would be ripped. Or he'd just be in his underwear all the time like Catwoman apparently will be. But since hes a dude that would be gay.

And I will say it, I have no interest in seeing Superman half naked. He can keep the weirdly bulletproof clothes. Nightwing though...

And the more I think of it actually, the more I think I'm not emotionally invested at all in Superman is I kinda think this is his fault. Apparently the idea of the New 52 came about when they were trying to figure out how to put Superman in a love triangle, because monogamy and marriage is too boring for young readers.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #118
Ben Lahnger

The love triangle thing was tried with Peter Parker, to negligible effect. This is just another example of how they are bereft of new creative ideas.

If young readers find Superman boring, it's not for lack of a gimmick like a love triangle.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #119
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I'm just saying that if he's going to wear some earth clothing, it HAS to get ripped and destroyed from time to time. Logically, it wouldn't survive the things his skin does.
Fuck yeah! I knew you were on my side!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #120
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Apparently the idea of the New 52 came about when they were trying to figure out how to put Superman in a love triangle, because monogamy and marriage is too boring for young readers.
Well, you know, they have Smallville to live up to.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #121
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrodyssodia View Post
Well, you know, they have Smallville to live up to.
Oh, is that what's popular with the kids these days?

I don't need Smallville. I remember Lois And Clark just fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #122
Hydrodyssodia

That show actually managed to get ten seasons, and Doomsday showed up, he was a hot looking paramedic. This are the stuff I'll never grasp.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #123
Saya

Reeeaaaaally good piece from Comics Alliance on the problematic depiction of women in comics, and how it is worse in some cases in the new reboot:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...-superheroine/

I'm really disappointed Voodoo came out that way. I knew it was always kind of going to be lots of boobs, but I didn't think the first thing you'd see if her is her on her knees, half naked with people throwing money at her. Article says she's the first black woman to get her own comic, and if that's accurate, that's really, really, really sad. Also I couldn't ever really like Starfire because I always felt she was nothing but eye candy, but it seems now she's even worse.

And Catwoman is dead to me.

I'm so glad Batwoman didn't end up that way, at least so far, with her sexuality being her own. She's gone through a few lovers already, and she's gorgeous, but in such a way that almost seems like she's being catered to queer women rather than men. In contrast with Voodoo, who is also bisexual, its like one is very high minded and awesomely progressive, and another one just seems to be typical hyersexualized "black women are sluts", "bisexuals are sluts" dribble.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #124
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Reeeaaaaally good piece from Comics Alliance on the problematic depiction of women in comics, and how it is worse in some cases in the new reboot:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...-superheroine/
Am I the only one who notices that the male heroes all seem bothered or distracted by the females, as if the females HAVE to lure the males in to destroy their lives like black widow seductresses?

I watch "Castle," and Castle and Becket have been trying to get together for three years now. Becket is tough, good-looking, smart, and caring, but so is Castle. Even if you didn't already know who the guy or the lady was by the names, the description would be the same. They're equals who compliment each other. Where's the comic book with characters like that?

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #125
Spooky Spencer

Oh, and FYI: This is probably why I like Elfquest so much.

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote